If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Coverage of the 75 Chrome Shop show from April 2017 (Updated 8-20-17)  (Read 1227 times)

mooby346

• Regular Membership
Re: Coverage of the 75 Chrome Shop show from April 2017
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »

Such cool pics from the light portion of the show! That's one thing I was hoping to do at MATS and had planned to include. I had thought it was the first night of the show when in fact they do it on the eve of the show's kickoff so I missed it.
As far as the 567, I actually have been seeing a decent amount of them. It was designed as a replacement for the 367, which is a vocational model, but inadvertently has found some success with OTR companies. I doubt you will see it go the way the Titan did though. Mack did not provide what the customers wanted, which was variety, and while the Titan was powerful, they priced it way out of its market, and only gave you a few configurations which were mainly mechanical in variety. The Titan was only ever available as SFFA and a daycab. The 567 can be had as SFFA or SBFA, and is available with all of Peterbilt's sleeper sizes and options. I see them mainly as dump trucks and flatbeds around here, though a few OTR fleets have them that I have spotted, but the vocational market is really what the truck was designed for so it makes sense it would be selling better there. It really makes sense for Peterbilt to have it as a kind of middle of the road product between full aero and classic styling, and I wouldn't think it is costing them that much to produce as it's pretty much a 579 with a different front end. PACCAR seems to really understand their markets and knows how to position products, whereas Mack quite frankly doesn't seem to, so I think they are two different situations.

Jon

Man I hope you're right. I'm mostly just disappointed that they don't seem to have caught on like I hoped they would. As long as Peterbilt doesn't discontinue them I'm happy. I didn't know the 567 comes with set-back or set-forward options, so thanks for that info. I can't say I've noticed a difference in the exterior styling, or maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Either way great write up Jon.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »

Actually I think the shot of the RD Excavating 358A is really cool! That is such an awesome show truck 8)

Jon

Thanks. I love the look and the burgundy paintjob is my favorite, but tbh I lost a lot of respect for it when I caught it leaving the show and they took the top half of the stacks off because obviously the look is just for show. I mean congrats, it did its' purpose and won the award for best limited-for-show bobtail, but what good is a truck that can't pull a trailer and you have to dismantle part of the truck just to make it road-worthy? Give me a working show truck any day, because those are the ones that have to go through a ton more cleaning to get show ready versus a truck that only sees the light of day when it's going to the next show. Also the whole exhaust-pipes-twice-as-tall-as-the-flat-top look is kinda corny IMO. Make it proportionate. Also it should be road-legal in the contest, it reminds me of the cars that used to go on Pimp My Ride. The whole fishtank in the Civic was a cool concept, but it was never road legal so it was all for show. This truck reminds me of that.

Jon_G

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:52 PM »

Such cool pics from the light portion of the show! That's one thing I was hoping to do at MATS and had planned to include. I had thought it was the first night of the show when in fact they do it on the eve of the show's kickoff so I missed it.
As far as the 567, I actually have been seeing a decent amount of them. It was designed as a replacement for the 367, which is a vocational model, but inadvertently has found some success with OTR companies. I doubt you will see it go the way the Titan did though. Mack did not provide what the customers wanted, which was variety, and while the Titan was powerful, they priced it way out of its market, and only gave you a few configurations which were mainly mechanical in variety. The Titan was only ever available as SFFA and a daycab. The 567 can be had as SFFA or SBFA, and is available with all of Peterbilt's sleeper sizes and options. I see them mainly as dump trucks and flatbeds around here, though a few OTR fleets have them that I have spotted, but the vocational market is really what the truck was designed for so it makes sense it would be selling better there. It really makes sense for Peterbilt to have it as a kind of middle of the road product between full aero and classic styling, and I wouldn't think it is costing them that much to produce as it's pretty much a 579 with a different front end. PACCAR seems to really understand their markets and knows how to position products, whereas Mack quite frankly doesn't seem to, so I think they are two different situations.

Jon

Man I hope you're right. I'm mostly just disappointed that they don't seem to have caught on like I hoped they would. As long as Peterbilt doesn't discontinue them I'm happy. I didn't know the 567 comes with set-back or set-forward options, so thanks for that info. I can't say I've noticed a difference in the exterior styling, or maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Either way great write up Jon.
No problem! If you don't mind my posting it, here is a 567 SBFA that I got at MATS earlier this year, this one leased to Landstar IIRC.

Jon

Jon_G

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »

Actually I think the shot of the RD Excavating 358A is really cool! That is such an awesome show truck 8)

Jon

Thanks. I love the look and the burgundy paintjob is my favorite, but tbh I lost a lot of respect for it when I caught it leaving the show and they took the top half of the stacks off because obviously the look is just for show. I mean congrats, it did its' purpose and won the award for best limited-for-show bobtail, but what good is a truck that can't pull a trailer and you have to dismantle part of the truck just to make it road-worthy? Give me a working show truck any day, because those are the ones that have to go through a ton more cleaning to get show ready versus a truck that only sees the light of day when it's going to the next show. Also the whole exhaust-pipes-twice-as-tall-as-the-flat-top look is kinda corny IMO. Make it proportionate. Also it should be road-legal in the contest, it reminds me of the cars that used to go on Pimp My Ride. The whole fishtank in the Civic was a cool concept, but it was never road legal so it was all for show. This truck reminds me of that.
I guess for me it depends on the truck. I think when they are over the top, yeah I'm not a fan of having a show truck just to have, but when it's something like this, I give it a pass. The stacks are too tall, and they really don't add anything to the truck as far as I'm concerned, it would still show just as well with standard ones. The problem with a truck like this is, it would be difficult to have it be working as it is over 50 years old. There aren't a lot of parts around anymore, and while mechanically it is I'm sure very new, it would just be a financial risk and a big hassle to work a truck like that.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:15:23 PM by Jon_G »

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
Re: Coverage of the 75 Chrome Shop show from April 2017 (Updated 8-12-17)
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
I think these pictures still turned out great; the glow in the parking lot doesn't bother me much.  I always really enjoy your night pics, especially as I don't have a tripod to take pictures like that of my own.  It really is something seeing trucks all lit up like a Christmas tree in person. 8)

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »

No problem! If you don't mind my posting it, here is a 567 SBFA that I got at MATS earlier this year, this one leased to Landstar IIRC.

Jon

Very cool, definitely don't mind you sharing it. Feel free to add in your pics to any of my future threads too, the more the merrier. The 567 has gotta be my favorite aero rig on the road today, it's the only one that offers a throwback to the trucks of old.

Jon

I guess for me it depends on the truck. I think when they are over the top, yeah I'm not a fan of having a show truck just to have, but when it's something like this, I give it a pass. The stacks are too tall, and they really don't add anything to the truck as far as I'm concerned, it would still show just as well with standard ones. The problem with a truck like this is, it would be difficult to have it be working as it is over 50 years old. There aren't a lot of parts around anymore, and while mechanically it is I'm sure very new, it would just be a financial risk and a big hassle to work a truck like that.

Jon

For all my criticisms of it, it's still a really good looking truck. Love the grille, the paint job, the front end look (minus the oversized bumper), just think that comically oversized stacks detract from it. I'll share the shot of it I have leaving the show later, it left a lasting impression on me, like it was even more incomplete than normal for a bobtail. Like how is it gonna win the award for best limited for show bobtail when it looks incomplete driving down the road? Something that beautiful should look eye-catching going down the road, instead it just looks incomplete.

I think these pictures still turned out great; the glow in the parking lot doesn't bother me much.  I always really enjoy your night pics, especially as I don't have a tripod to take pictures like that of my own.  It really is something seeing trucks all lit up like a Christmas tree in person. 8)

Thanks Iowa :).  FYI if you're ever interested in taking night shots you can buy a basic tripod off Amazon for 20 bucks. I have one that I keep as a backup, but tbh I've never had to use it. The key is just to make sure when you hit the shutter that you don't move the camera at all, and your shots will come out fine (I also hold my breath to stay as still as possible). Takes a little practice but I've evolved to the point I only break out the tripod for the best trucks, the rest of the time I just balance my camera on the car window. 1/3 of a sec is my shutter speed as long as there's some background light, if I need 2-4 seconds then I break out the tripod.

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
Here's my next-day coverage of trucks leaving the show and what was leftover in the parking lot. I kept all the non-show trucks separate so I could share those later, I don't want to mix coverage here.

We start with this sharp 359 for Jenkins Farms Trucking of Eustis, FL:

W900 for Branded Livestock of Greeley, CO:

T800 for Clint Dicks Trucking of Lake City, FL:

1980 Pete 352 for Sherman Kerns out of Flemingsburg, KY:

International 3800 for JDR Truck & Trailers out of Tampa, FL:

Pete 389 for Claywell Trucking of Zephyrhills, FL:

Kenworth T680 for Schwend Inc. of Dade City, FL:

Pete 389 for E.C.T. Corp of Milledgeville, GA, works for Landstar Ranger of Jacksonville:

Pete 379/389 for Stephenson Trucking of New Port Richey, FL:

Peterbilt 379 for L.C. Transport of Tampa Bay:

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Set #2 starts with a Pete 379, operated by FP Enterprises of Forsyth, GA:

Pair o' Petes, the reefer is owned by Mitchell Trucking of Hunlock Creek, PA, and the flatbed by Robertson Trucking of Detroit, AL:

Heavy haul Pete 579 show truck for Neff Rental of Miami:

Pete 389 Pride & Class for Whitaker Inc. of Orange Park, FL:

W900 for Whitaker Inc:

Hino roll-off truck for Empire Towing & Recovery of Tampa Bay:

2014 KW T660 show truck for Trux Accessories of Laval, Quebec:

KW W900 for Church's Trucking of St. Cloud, FL:

Peterbilt 379 for Lathrop Trucking of Fanning Springs, FL:

Pair o' Paccars, the 379 on the left belongs to JD Morrison Trucking of Griffin, GA:

mooby346

• Regular Membership
Re: Coverage of the 75 Chrome Shop show from April 2017 (Updated 8-20-17)
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
Set #3 starts with the crew cab T660 for Big Boss Performance Parts:

Trio of 389's for Robertson Trucking of Detroit, AL:

1972 Pete 358A show truck for RD Trucking & Excavating of Burbank, OH:

1980 K100 show truck out of Eustis, FL:

2014 KW T660 for Clint Dicks Trucking of Lake City, FL:

KW W900 show truck for J&L Contracting of Springfield, MO:

Pete 389 for Rollin' Transport of Richfield, WI:

2015 Pete 389 for Turner Transport Truck Lines of Ellenwood, GA:

'96 Pete 379X for EZ Livin Express of Marquand, MO:

Pete 379 for Phillip Williams & Sons of Plant City, FL:

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
My final set for the entire show will be the post-show parking lot, which still had a few trucks left over.

We start with one more shot of the Pride & Class 389 for Diesel Life out of Auburndale, FL:

Better shot of the '05 Pete 379 for New Image Towing & Recovery of Forest Park, GA:

Group shot with the Taylor Transport 389:

Pete 379 for T.G. Auto Transport of Cape Cod, MA:

Big bunk Pete 386 for Acorn Stairlifts:

KW W900 for Double Green Circle Inc. of Guilford, CT:

Another one for the gorgeous heavy haul 389 for RD Excavating of Burbank, OH:

Pete 389 working for Midwest Refrigerated Services of Milwaukee, WI:

W900A for 3-D Trucking of Opp, AL:

Pete 379 for Taylor Transport of Cartersville, GA:

'06 KW W900B for Hallahan Transport of Lacrosse, WI:

Pete 379 for Flattop Transport of Jackson, WI:

W900 for Kuhnle Bros. of Newbury, OH:

I've got some more randoms to share from the trip as well as some local spotting from Tampa, but I'm gonna post those in my vacation thread. Thanks for checking out the coverage guys.

Jon_G

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »

So many awesome catches! The fleet from Robertson Trucking is probably the favorite group for me, particularly the black and white 389 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Also, great shot of the Flattop Transport Pete, it was in Louisville a few shows ago and I had zero luck getting a good photo of it.

Jon

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »
Thanks Jon :).  I agree on the Robertson 389's, although the black/white is my least favorite out of the 3 lol. Just no preference for the colors but I love what they did with the rigs. I was hanging with the driver of the blue/white one at the show and he was a very nice guy, from what little I heard it seems like the owner is one of those guys that really takes pride in his trucks. They're not all stretched 389's like these but still nice nonetheless.

Glad you liked the Flattop Transport Pete too, that was also one of my favorites. During the regular show it was packed in on all 3 sides by full size 18 wheelers so I couldn't get a decent shot of it. I was very happy when I came back the next day and the lot had cleared out, it worked out pretty well imo. Idk about you but I preferred my coverage of all the trucks leaving to my show pics, seeing them in their "natural" environment looks better aesthetically to me.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs