If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The Long Haul: A Trucker's Tales of Life on the Road  (Read 281 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
The Long Haul: A Trucker's Tales of Life on the Road
« on: July 24, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
Finn Murphy is a bedbugger & this is his rollicking account of life on the big road. I saw him yesterday on a show taped in a library in Washington DC........pretty low key guy, funny stories and considers himself (and bedbuggers) at the top of the trucking foodchain. ;D I'll order the book at my local library this week & look forward to reading it.

Hank's Truck Forum

The Long Haul: A Trucker's Tales of Life on the Road
« on: July 24, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

mooby346

• Regular Membership
Re: The Long Haul: A Trucker's Tales of Life on the Road
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the tip Charlie. I have a special fondness for bedbuggers, seeing them daily around here. Definitely gonna have to check this out.

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:56:32 AM »
Just finished reading the book, what a great read. I'm not gonna stop trying until I figure out where this bar/motel for bedbuggers is at, my first guess is somewhere north of Nogales lol. He provided a ton of great insight into a world I've always been curious about, my local bedbugger alley is a daily haunt for me because I never know what I'll see next down there. Thanks for putting this out there Charlie.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »
I haven't had the chance to order this book yet but thanks for the review.........hope to do it this week. Any particulars on the bedbugger bar/motel in Arizona? ??? Put it out there........maybe someone on the Forum knows it.

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
No, he specifically avoided mentioning any location details because of the shady activity that goes on there. But it's a motel/bar and the bar has t-shirts of various moving companies covering the walls from floor to ceiling. All the clues I got were that he got off an airport exit and looked across the street to see like 7 different bedbuggers parked there. Then his second time through he met a guy who gave him the lay of the land and told him that a dropped trailer is considered abandoned, and hardwood floors from a '53 Kentucky are a household fashion statement south of Nogales. So I figure it's somewhere southwest US, probably near the border given the high crime rate (they have 24hr armed security guarding the bedbuggers rigs'), and obviously near a highway next to an airport. I already looked north of Nogales on Google Maps but haven't seen anything yet. It's been around for many years too, Willie Joyce mentions visiting it way back in his younger years. 

As far as the book review goes though, my only complaints are that he doesn't go into any specifics about why he stepped away from trucking for a long time, and he left the bar story unfinished (Joyce Van Lines doesn't have a shirt on the wall, so he wants Willie Joyce to fly down there to put one up, which involves everybody at the bar doing a shot of Jack, and he says he'll be back to do it one of these days...).

Also it's reminded me to keep an eye out for JVL trucks now, they are semi-common down here and he gives Woodbridge/VA a couple mentions in the book with entertaining stories about a mean customer in Richmond and a power-hungry statie at the Woodbridge scales who delayed him one time for giving the trooper some lip. Plenty more entertaining tales where that came from so I won't spoil the rest, but definitely a good read.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
Wonder if Walt Bache (wbache) ever visited this attraction in his Bekins days? ???  ;D Now I really have to make an effort to get this book. ;D

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
Just finished reading this book........very enjoyable & entertaining. Not a freighthaulers perspective but interesting to see the world through a movers eyes. 8) I spent a couple of years back in the mid '80s working on high rise building moves in Manhattan........all the aches & pains came back while reading this book. ;D

I'd love to find out the name and location of that movers bar which is somewhere in the southwest.

Overall found it a good read.........hope he writes another one.

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:33:37 PM »
Yeah it was entertaining reading about the life and how they're kinda shunned by other drivers. I'd read another one if he put it out, I'd love to hear some more stories from the road.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:33:37 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs