If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Ten Illegal Immigrants Found Dead in Semi  (Read 404 times)

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
Ten Illegal Immigrants Found Dead in Semi
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
I made a post about this last night, but it got taken down for being too political so we'll try this again.  This is something that made national news yesterday, but thought it would be interesting to discuss from a trucking standpoint.  The number dead has since reached ten.
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/07/23/eight-illegal-immigrants-found-dead-truck/

I'm not in favor of illegal immigration, but this is still horrible.  Illegal immigrants do so at their own risk, but still it had to have been pretty miserable in that trailer.  Apparently the reefer unit was not working and that led to the truck becoming so hot. :-\

Although certainly not the point of the story, as a trucking enthusiast I couldn't help noticing how stunning the rig involved was:

I like to think that crooks and hacks always drive old beater trucks, so was shocked to see a rig like this.  I really hate to say it, but it is likely that the owner spent some of his profits from smuggling on making his truck look good.  The driver is an O/O for Pyle Transportation, a small reefer fleet with some really nice equipment, based out of a town called Schaller in rural western Iowa - the last kind of company I would expect to be hauling illegals across the border.  One thing I'm really wondering is how much the company was involved in this.  This from the Washington Post:
In San Antonio, the driver was working with Pyle Transportation, a hauling firm in Schaller, Iowa. The company’s name was emblazoned on the truck. Owner Brian Pyle said Bradley, the truck driver, operated largely independently from his company.

“This was his very first trip,” Pyle said. “It’s a common thing in the trucking industry. . . . He had my name on the side, and I pay for his insurance. He makes his own decisions, buys his own fuel.”

Pyle declined to name the driver, who he said was from Louisville, and said he did not know what the man was transporting.

I would like to know what you guys' thoughts are on all of this?  I don't know the details of how such an arrangement works.  Should the company management know more about this that they're letting on, and how much responsibility do you think they have for this?  The driver and anyone else involved should definitely face consequences, but hopefully company management had nothing to do with it.  I hope the company can survive this; they have some really nice looking equipment.  Also, what about border security for trucks - does anyone know what measures are currently in place - are trailers searched or is the driver just supposed to have the right paperwork?

Hank's Truck Forum

Ten Illegal Immigrants Found Dead in Semi
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Ten Illegal Immigrants Found Dead in Semi
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
In this case it appears the illegal immigrants had already been smuggled across the border & were being kept in "stash" houses and after a period of days were then loaded into a trailer for the trip north. Driver claims he didn't know anyone was in the trailer until he stopped. :-\

Just an off the cuff question here for those of you who drive for a living..........if you have a trailer that's not locked or sealed do you check it every time you stop? ??? Just like part of a walkaround to make sure no one has stowed away? ???

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
A loaded trailer would normally have a padlock and / or a numbered seal on the door . The seal is often applied by the shipper . The driver does not break the seal except for delivery and is usually broken by the consignee and the number is recorded .
An empty trailer is frequently padlocked by the driver .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:49:17 PM by tery »
---------- Keep On Trucking ----------

convoyduel

• Home of the original Rubber Duck truck
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
There are a lot of unknowns in the equation.  I always always always check an empty trailer.  Always. That said, if it was a loaded drop/hook, the driver would have no reason to open the trailer and likely couldn't if it was sealed by a shipper.  Couldn't means sure he can physically break the seal and open it but the receiver wouldn't likely accept the load.  It all depends on what the load was or was supposed to be.  There are easily circumstances where nothing stood out to the driver unfortunately. One possible defense here is that it was drop/hook and a load of something relatively light.  You know the difference in weight between empty and 44k or anything in between so he'd have to have paperwork showing something plausible.   

One thing is for certain...between the driver, carrier or shipper/broker...someone knew and that's the person or persons who have to answer for this.

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:03 AM »
 I'm going to say that the driver most likely knew for sure that he was carrying human cargo.

An O/O working for a small company and hooked to a reefer usually means that they pull one trailer most of the time, (if not all the time), they do all their own loading and unloading and are always the ones to close the doors, which means they have to look in the trailer whether they attach the seals and locks, or not.
 Even if the trailer was locked and sealed before the driver hooked to it, there's a good chance there's a little peep door on the back somewhere so you can look in the trailer to check thermometers and Ryan recorders on temp controlled loads that are sealed.

Nowhere in the article does it say these people crossed the border in a truck, only that they were found in a truck, in Texas.
 Cross border trucking has nothing to do with the story.

Just an off the cuff question here for those of you who drive for a living..........if you have a trailer that's not locked or sealed do you check it every time you stop? ??? Just like part of a walkaround to make sure no one has stowed away? ???
Modify message
A good driver will.
It's good practice to keep an eye on the load to make sure it's not moving around in the trailer or squashing itself.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:23:56 AM by Wee Willy »
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
I've been meaning to post an update for a while but have kept putting it off. ::)  Anyway, it looks like the truck journey did in fact begin in the United States and not on the other side of the border.  Supposedly the truck driver was driving the trailer down to Texas to be sold.  It looks like the truck had recently been refurbished by a custom truck shop in Wisconsin and then sold to the driver involved in this incident.  No wonder it looks so damn amazing; it's too bad it had to be involved in something so terrible.  Not sure how long the authorities have to keep it as evidence, but hopefully afterwards it will find another owner who will take good care off it, because man that thing looks perfect. 8)

Here are a couple articles giving more details:
https://www.ksat.com/news/custom-truck-shop-blasted-online-for-selling-semi-truck-to-human-smuggling-suspect-owner-says
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/us/texas-migrant-trailer-deaths-timeline/index.html

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs