If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: #newmack  (Read 1982 times)

mooby346

• Regular Membership
Re: #newmack
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »

What's the difference? ;D ;D I have seen a few LT's I thought were Prostars and vice versa, they are very hard to tell apart because it's the same truck. I have to say, I really do like the Western Star though. Looks a lot more aggressive than the other aero trucks out there. I like vintage trucks, don't get me wrong, but I guess I was never partial to one over the other. I like some long hoods while others I don't just like I like some aero trucks while others I don't. Just a personal preference.

Jon

I'm with you, it all comes down to personal preference. I don't mind the 5700XE's just because of the aggressive look. I see the new LT's catching on but you have to really pay attention because it's a very subtle difference in the grille. Otherwise still the same unremarkable rig though, hope whatever motor IH is sticking in them now is better than the Maxxforce lol. Yeah I'll always prefer a conventional over an aero but the day will come when conventionals are going to be more and more hard to find, and the T680's/Cascadia's of the world will start looking more attractive when they're driving around those hideous blobs like the Walmart concept truck we saw a few years back.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »

Jon_G

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 10:54:28 PM »

I guess I never really cared one way or the other for one style. I was always partial to cabovers anyway, the K100 has been my favorite truck since I was little and still is. I don't like the crazy futuristic concepts like the Wal-Mart thing, but keep in mind that is all they are, concepts. I don't think you'll see the long-hood trucks go away though. People have argued that the fleet market for those is getting smaller, I would argue it already disappeared. Literally almost zero larger fleets have used long-hood trucks in a long time, yet they continue to still be bought in big numbers by owner operators and small companies and that hasn't shown signs of slowing down. If Kenworth and Peterbilt were losing $$ on the largecars I think you would have seen them be discontinued already. They haven't changed much as far as tooling goes over the course of their production cycle. The 389 (which is a facelifted 379 essentially) has been in production since 2008 and the 379 having been made since 1987. The current iteration of the W900L has been around since the mid-1990s, with the previous generation with the old cab having launched in 1989. So it's not as though they have huge development costs with those models, and they still have a following to the point where PACCAR sees a purpose to keep producing them.

Jon

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:49 AM »
For me personally, when they finally ruin the 9900i and the Star 4900's I will give up trucking and just run our truck stop full time.

These new designs just do not excite me at all. I like the current Mack product line and I like the exteriors of some of these trucks. But I'm not in to this new fad of replacing the nicely shaped dash's with square, flat ugly ones full of pockets and no gauges, like International did to the LT.
And taking away stuff like button-tuck to be replaced by plain flat lifeless panels.

This new Mack dash reminds me of the goofy Cat truck dash International is now using in the HX. Minimal gauges and that one giant centre gauge.

All I see with these new trucks is cheaping up the materials and components to increase profits while still raising your purchase price.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
Like Jon says, it's all a matter of personal preference.  I happen to really like the Western Star 5700, and to be honest I think most aero truck designs from about 2008 to 2016 can look really good when done up right.  I think those aero trucks, at least aesthetically, are improvements over their predecessors, although I do like some of the very early aero trucks, such as the FLD, as well.  This latest batch, however, like the new Cascadia and Volvos, are still alright but I don't particularly care for their tech-y look with LED lights and hard creases and whatnot.

I definitely like square hoods better, but think having a mix of both those and aero on the road makes things more interesting so long as one isn't cannibalizing the other.  I also love the last generation cabovers like the K100, 362 and FLB also; it really is too bad there isn't anything like it new.

As far as long hood trucks going away, I certainly see it coming but not necessarily in the near future.  It seems their market share did decrease quite a bit during the years after the 2008 recession, but as far as I can tell that decline has pretty much stabilized now.  There are still a decent number of O/Os and small fleets still running them, and I don't see them going away immediately.  However, I think in another 5-10 years, once all the old school Baby Boomers who operate those trucks retire and die off, then the square hoods will go away.  I can't see the Millennial generation having much interest in the old fashioned 389's and W900's and such, but more likely prefer something fresh and newfangled like a Tesla truck. :'(  Of course there are exceptions to that (such as myself), but for the most part I just can't see the younger generation taking much interest in such trucks that evoke the past. 

Enjoy what few nice trucks are left guys; the future is coming upon us fast and it ain't going to be pretty, in the most literal sense.

Jon_G

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »

I know I'm going way off topic here, but as far as new COE's go, the thing that gets me is that there are multiple designs being sold globally that, adapted for the US market, would IMO do well. Cabovers have a reputation for being rough-riding, dangerous, and having no interior space due to the dog houses. But those are the ones from decades ago, whereas the new generation are (granted this is all from reading) are very comfortable, livable, ride very nicely, and get good fuel economy. They make a lot of sense in tight delivery areas, and I feel like if one came out that was priced well, and the manufacturer marketed its strengths and showed how nice they have become, that a COE would do well here. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it would be cool to see new ones. Kenworth has the K200 which is built in Australia, Freightliner the Argosy which is built in North Carolina, and then there are all the European trucks. Volvo was apparently toying with bringing the FH series over on a couple of occasions but did not.
As far as the new generation of truckers, there actually seems to be a decent amount of younger drivers who appreciate the older designs, as shown by the owners I encounter at MATS each year. There are a wide range of ages that have the classic looking trucks. Fleet drivers will drive whatever the company pays for, but I think as long as O/O's have an opportunity to succeed, that you will see the cooler trucks around.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »