If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: What's Up With All The Disappearing Photobucket Pics?  (Read 2801 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: What's Up With All The Disappearing Photobucket Pics?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
Charlie, I don't know why your pics started showing up again but I don't think Photobucket is backtracking on what they did.
Somewhere in the last few days I thought I read that any paid plan is still able to upload photos. Although mine's only a $50 plan I figured this was the reason why but I expect that to end when my yearly plan expires in a few months.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
It's very frustrating to have this happen when I sign on there was never any mention of 3rd party useage''165 pages'' now just to look at the photos is no longer , with Flicker I got 1 tb of free space back in  2013 when I signed on and just recently another 20gb of free space but the differance is NO AD"S OR BLOCKEAGES and Flicker is okay with 3rd party downloading so when it comes to cost Photobucket for a year 100 + or Flicker 50.00 and no blockeages ? >:( >:(

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
I don't know if PB is screwing with me or not. :-\ Received an email from PB saying I requested an email change (which I didn't) and I've been unable through their help desk to resolve this problem and the bottom line is I couldn't login. I went through all their gyrations (changed email & password) & now I'm so screwed up I don't know what my email or password is anymore & can't get feedback. >:(

Anyone else having a problem like this?

Cardboardfido

• Regular Membership
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:54 PM »
Charlie, I don't know why your pics started showing up again but I don't think Photobucket is backtracking on what they did.  Just the opposite in fact - after doing a little research, it sounds like they finally released a statement explaining why they did this, and are standing by their decision:

http://blog.photobucket.com/photobucket-launches-unlimited-3rd-party-hosting-plan/
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/photobucket-complaints-over-charging/

The gist of it seems to be that too many people were using their free accounts for 3rd party hosting, and with ad blockers becoming more common they couldn't make enough money that way.  I totally understand this reasoning, but I think they handled the situation in the worst possible way.  They should have started by offering a price that is competitive, and $400 per month is anything but.  Sure, you get unlimited storage but I doubt very many people will need that much.  Also I think they needed to give advance notice about it.  Perhaps they didn't want to because it would give people time to delete their accounts and shop the competition, but that wouldn't be an issue if the price was reasonable.  It's just not fair how they made all those photos useless out of the blue like that.  I'm thinking this will still hurt them badly.
Interesting reading those articles mate. (thanks for sharing).
(My opinion)- Photobucket handled this very badly, (did they post this article on Social Media too?)
$400 per annum doesnt sound so bad (if you work out how much per month ($33.33)- just over $1-00 per day...I was considering it, (now I can afford it)...
But, the final decision belongs to the Consumer.  I personally, will not be "Bullied" by the totally UNprofessional tactics that PB currently employs.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
Jon_G has raised the question of other hosting sites doing the same thing in the future due to declining ads and how they make their money. I kind of agree with Jon and really don't trust getting on another site & seeing the same thing happen.

My question is if this is a possibility what does it bode for the future of Forums like this........what else is there that can be used to post photos? ???

Jon_G

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »
I think if there was a way to host within a forum (which idk the logistics or financials of that), it would A) be easier to post things and B) lower the risk of this happening again but I'm sure it is not cheap to do. I am sorry to admit that after starting my gallery on flickr that I contemplated posting more photos on there because of how easy and affordable it is, along with the amount of traffic it gets. I am not saying I'm going away from the forum by any means, but unfortunately I think the process if requiring a hosting account and often having to pay for it has turned a lot of folks away, not just on our forum, but across the board. The fact that social media has a wide reach and is free is appealing to a lot of people. I really want to see this place thrive, but I don't know where we should go from here. I can only fear we may lose more people with the Photobucket issues and I don't wish that to happen :'(

Jon

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
Another interesting article on the whole Photobucket fiasco.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/big-lesson-learned-photobuckets-ransom-images-debacle-191026772.html

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
Jon, are you saying you've given up on converting your photos to Slickpic because of this?  I don't know how Photobucket is going to come out of this, but if it ends up hurting them badly, I would hope other hosting sites would use this as an example of what not to do.  Simply paying for an account should be enough to help the hosting site make money, and it shouldn't have to be at an outrageous price.  That's what really puzzles me about this, that even paid PB accounts had this happen; the management must be really hungry for money.  It's really despicable how Photobucket handled this.  I hope as a company they suffer greatly for it and serve as an example so other sites don't follow suit.

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
I think 3rd party hosting is a perk that we used to take for granted, but in this age of adblockers it's a perk that we are eventually going to lose or have to pay for. I do not pay anything as it is right now, but I am prepared that some day Flickr might follow suit, and then all the work I've put in will also be wasted. So I'm resigned to the fact eventually we will have to pay for the right to share our content. I just hope that when it comes Flickr will make it reasonable, I believe Flickr Pro costs $50 a year and while the perks aren't worth it for me right now, if 3rd party hosting becomes included with it I will be willing to pay. If it's $400, then yeah I will obviously reconsider. Photobucket is a dying breed and this move won't save them. They knew a bunch of people would jump ship when they made the move.

I think if there was a way to host within a forum (which idk the logistics or financials of that), it would A) be easier to post things and B) lower the risk of this happening again but I'm sure it is not cheap to do. I am sorry to admit that after starting my gallery on flickr that I contemplated posting more photos on there because of how easy and affordable it is, along with the amount of traffic it gets. I am not saying I'm going away from the forum by any means, but unfortunately I think the process if requiring a hosting account and often having to pay for it has turned a lot of folks away, not just on our forum, but across the board. The fact that social media has a wide reach and is free is appealing to a lot of people. I really want to see this place thrive, but I don't know where we should go from here. I can only fear we may lose more people with the Photobucket issues and I don't wish that to happen :'(

Jon

Jon I had the same problem when I first made my Flickr account. As soon as I started sharing and people started liking, I was like "wow look how much exposure I'm getting." It was a big boost to my ego. But I realized Flickr is just a means to an end, which is sharing the photos with this community. Yeah I haven't been sharing as much as I want lately, but I do it when I can. Point is, Flickr is nice, having people like your photos and recognize the work is nice. But this community means more to me. You can have both, it just requires more time. Also Flickr does have ads, but to me they feel less obtrusive than other sites. I hope it bodes well for them, because if the ad money runs out they might follow PB's lead.

Jon_G

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2017, 06:00:20 PM »
Oh no not at all, I am still converting everything, I was just expressing that I was worried they may follow suit, but I think you are right, I think they will learn from this. Plus, I think Slickpic's subscription model helps them be a little less ad-dependent than Photobucket was. No, I still hope to be posting here for a long time. I think I will continue to expand my Flickr gallery as well, just to have more places to share. I am not a huge Facebook fan as far as posting photos, and Instagram is more of a post once in awhile as opposed to a ton of pictures at a time. I enjoy being a member here and I hope we are around for a long time. I think there is still interest here for sure and I enjoy sharing stuff here. I hope that these issues don't drive people away. There are other hosting sites that, even before this fiasco, were far better than Photobucket.

And Mooby, I agree with you, I think this site and Flickr are two different places. This community is a lot more focused and tighter. Both have their places and I think I am really going to enjoy using Flickr as an online gallery where I can post other photos in addition to truck stuff. I do a lot of car show photography as well as some art stuff (you can take the student out of design school but....... ;D) Anyway, I enjoy both here and Flickr and I am willing to pay for hosting as long as it is reasonable. I pay for Slickpic currently and it isn't bad at all. I think if anything this may help the others as it will show them, hey we may want to get in on the revenue but be more prepared by having a fair pricing plan.

Jon
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:03:48 PM by Jon_G »

jredding666

• Regular Membership
  • If you gonna be dumb you better be tough!
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
So what's the most affordable option to use to post here that's also mobile friendly? I already have a Flickr acct., but I can only post a link to a pic and not the actual pic on here with it. The mobile friendly thing is pretty important, if I have to sit down at my computer just to add pics here I'd rather just link them to Flickr.

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
You don't have to link pictures from Flickr, on Flickr go to the picture you want, in the bottom RH corner underneath the photo is a right turn arrow for sharing. Click that, on the far right is the BB code, copy and paste that to your post here to share it. There's some extra lines of code at the end that link back to your page and to Flickr, delete those if you don't want them to show up. That's all you have to do.

OL'TC

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
Buy an external drive and save all the pictures you can take depending on what size you buy.

wbache

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
A few years ago I was using Web Shots and it worked really well but they did pretty much the same thing as Photo Bucket---lesson learned altho I have been backing my pics up on external drives going back further than I will probably want to look at which is about 2011.  I lost most of 2013 but the rest on on external drives.  I have a couple of dozen pics that I downloaded from photos taken with film cameras and I downloaded these from Photobucket to avoid going thru the process again. I have been using Image Shack for a couple of years and have a paid subscription but only download pics that I will post on the Forum altho that is limited mostly to the Photo of the Day which has a very few contributors.  Its easy to post on Facebook but a pic posted there is pretty perishable and disappears as soon as interest in it fades which is pretty quick for most.  I don't have any pics on Hanks main site and might possibly try to assemble a collection altho I am not familiar with the process for doing this.  As we can all see nothing is permanent (or cheap) and change comes rather quickly and the best place to preserve what we have is to back up to an external drive and for those that are important to us put them on a disc altho they have limited capacity.

Jon_G

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »

I know what you mean Walt, I had contemplated printing all of mine out just to have a hard copy but I ended up backing them up as you did. As far as main site, when I set up mine (which I admittedly haven't contributed to much) I just sent Hank an e-mail stating who I was and sent him photos with captions and he set one up for me. I may send more to that in the future as well, but I hope that the other hosting sites learn from this.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs