If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: That sounds about right.  (Read 771 times)

Oso2

• Global Moderator
That sounds about right.
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:31:21 PM »
.....And nobody cares:

Nearly half the trucks in Southern Ontario blitz fail
http://www.todaystrucking.com/nearly-half-the-trucks-in-southern-ontario-blitz-fail

Posted: May 15, 2017 3:22 PM |   Last Updated: May 15, 2017 3:24 PM
OAKVILLE, ON – Almost half of all the commercial vehicles pulled over in a safety blitz last week failed inspection, Halton Regional Police Service’s (HRPS) Oakville District Response Unit announced today.

Over the course of the two-day roadside campaign, 80 vehicles were inspected and 47% flunked due to issues with brakes, tires and other problems.

Police seized seven sets of plates and issued 16 bylaw infractions.

“We recognize there are many trucks on area roads and that some will operate for a considerable amount of time without ever having an independent inspection done,” said Sergeant Gus Bistas of the Oakville District Response Unit.

“The results of this blitz remind us that our work in the realm of commercial motor vehicle safety is ongoing and that we must remain vigilant in our education and enforcement efforts.”

The blitz took place Tuesday, May 9 and Friday, May 12 and was executed in partnership with Peel and Waterloo Regional Police Services, the Ontario Provincial Police, and Town of Oakville.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Hank's Truck Forum

That sounds about right.
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:31:21 PM »

Paystar

• Regular Membership
Re: That sounds about right.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
Does not surprise me at all. Dummies keep working cheaper and cheaper while purchase and maintenance cost keep going up. And these new engines are almost bankrupting everyone as it is.

I'm on a job right now surrounded by some real jewels. Contractor thinks I'm a hero because my truck can make the whole shift.

I even saw the air compressor fall right off one truck. Gotta admit I never saw that before, LOL.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »
“The results of this blitz remind us that our work in the realm of commercial motor vehicle safety is ongoing and that we must remain vigilant in our education and enforcement efforts.”

...."REMAIN" vigilant????????? ::)...just do the job (inspection and enforcement)properly, :(.. surely can't be that hard to find 47 outta 100 trucks! :o... Last 75 trips to western On. Putman never been open ONCE!(varying times 1 A.M.-10 A.M.),
 been thru east bound side on return TWICE!, both times drive thru, smile and wave. ;D...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Putnam,+ON,+Canada/@42.9734116,-80.9688322,390m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x882e9aece19d023f:0x367ed4375ef5fe7c!8m2!3d42.990276!4d-80.954269
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »
Good job if they were target specific at picking the more obvious, notorious offenders, or likely
to fail candidates.
Not just picking whoever because space and time opened up.

Getting the junk off the road. letting the rest roll on to do their jobs.

another thought;
 The support system (parts, shop rates, etc,) pricing itself out of reach of those that
rely on it.

-Ted

Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

Running Pete

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »
Does not surprise me at all. Dummies keep working cheaper and cheaper while purchase and maintenance cost keep going up. And these new engines are almost bankrupting everyone as it is.

I'm on a job right now surrounded by some real jewels. Contractor thinks I'm a hero because my truck can make the whole shift.

Are their prevailing wages on public jobs in Canada like there are here in the U.S.? I hear contractors say there is no money in trucking, yet guys are buying $200,000 Mack quads because all they do is state work. All the guys digging residential basements have their air compressors falling off.  ::)

Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys, and monkeys can't maintain equipment.

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
Well Running Pete, we call them tri-axle dumps here (but they are 4 with the steer), but this last winter trucks were bid to the city for snow removal as low as $53/hour and right now guys are working a highway job on the Trans Canada north of Wawa for $80/hour.

Now take your driver wages, fuel and motel room out of that........would you run out to buy a new $240,000 truck for that?

And it's even funnier that a few big projects around here can't get enough trucks and are in a bad spot. Yet guys still will drop the rates. You would think now would be the time to say no....I want this rate.

That's why they run junk and have the bottom feeder drivers.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 07:04:35 AM »
 What sort of inspection schedule does Ontario have?

Maybe mandatory quarterly inspections at government authorized facilities would do some good.
 When I worked for International Transport you had to get a company safety every 3 months, company policy, and if you missed an inspection you would be put out of service until your truck reported to a terminal and passed the safety requirements, otherwise no load until then.
 Seemed to work, the fleet was so safe that the scale ops didn't give you second look if you flew the IT colours and decals, just waved you on by.

There are dealers and private shops that are authorized to do inspections in MB, but if they get caught doing a false safety they lose their license, risk lawsuits, fines, jail time, and their names get posted on the internet along with the names of other fraudulent service shop owners who had been caught.
 Don't notice a lot of junkers around here, but then again I'm not really looking for them, but maybe I should start.
 However, I do see quite a few insecure loads, mostly concrete, excavating equipment, basically the construction industry, always local haulers, never  highway trucks.

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
Was almost the same when I had my highway truck. I was loading Labatt's beer at one of their plants and there was a truck there that had the hood and drivers door bungee corded shut and the guy had to use a sledge hammer to open and close the trailer doors.

I was in disbelief that Labatt's would even load a turd like that.

Running Pete

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
Well Running Pete, we call them tri-axle dumps here (but they are 4 with the steer), but this last winter trucks were bid to the city for snow removal as low as $53/hour and right now guys are working a highway job on the Trans Canada north of Wawa for $80/hour.

Wow, I had no idea anyone would run for $53/hour. I think a triaxle gets $92/hour on highway work here.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
$100.00 hr. tandem graveler. $130.00 hr, tandem graveler w/tandem pup. Local rate.

In B.C. inspections are every 6 months and the CVSE (DOT) goes after shops that sticker
trucks and trailers that fail the roadside inspections.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »
It's yearly in Ontario. Also, just who inspects your truck is a factor. I've picked up trucks after their annual inspections that were missing fire extinguishers, stickers, or perhaps the passenger doors didn't open, etc.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »
It's yearly in Ontario. Also, just who inspects your truck is a factor. I've picked up trucks after their annual inspections that were missing fire extinguishers, stickers, or perhaps the passenger doors didn't open, etc.

The exact reason the authorities need to go after the shops that safety the junk,
Pull their licence as an inspection facility.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:29:29 PM »

The exact reason the authorities need to go after the shops that safety the junk,
Pull their licence as an inspection facility.

-Ted

I found that more in private fleets/private garages.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »
I never understood how a trucking company could have it's own Designated
Inspection Facility.
Like leaving the wolf in charge of the hen house.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs