If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Newest Model Mack  (Read 2277 times)

Jon_G

Re: Newest Model Mack
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »

Ah, please pardon the inaccurate info then, thanks for the correction! As far as the new Volvo, the silhouette looks like an updated VNM more than anything else, possibly with new headlights but the same cab. As much as I'm probably sounding more off the wall, I feel like the Volvo FM sold in Europe would be great in a regional role. Lower cab for better entry, tighter turning radius for local deliveries while still allowing a decent sized sleeper bunk on it.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
Yes Jon, there is only the set back axle and the set forward. Each has only one BBC.

There is a guy (it was posted on BMT) that has a Pinnacle axle forward and he lengthened the hood and it's rumored to be on a CL chassis and it has an E9 500 V8 in it!!
Now that's a dream truck right there!

I'd love to see one (or some) of those European cabovers here. I kinda like them especially if they make them tandem drive.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Jon_G

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »

Thanks for the info, and again sorry for posting incorrect stuff. Now that E9 powered truck sounds like something I would like a lot!

And as far as the COEs go, it would be nice to see the Euro trucks sold here, not to replace anything current, but as an added option. I think if people would get over the stigma of the rough riding old trucks, which had small cabs and weren't even on air-ride suspensions in most cases, they would sell. There are upsides and downsides, but the same could be said for conventionals, and the European trucks supposedly have nice rides, and are even pretty fuel efficient. I know Volvo was toying with an FH over here on a couple of occasions, IMO it would be great to see, there are still a lot of markets that a COE just works better in.

Jon

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »
When I saw that FH COE at Truck World that year I really liked it. Would be cool to have a tandem axle heavy spec with that big power.
But then again we all now know Volvo killed the D16 and the Mack MP10 here.

Years ago I was really excited when Mack announced it was bringing the Magnum (Renault) with an electronic E9 V8 to replace the Ultraliner. But then it got shelved too.

I wish someone could get more pics of that V8 Pinnacle Rawhide that guy built. I think he pulls cattle trailers.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Jon_G

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »

Do you know if the D16 was only gone from the US market? It appears the FH in Europe is still available with it, the site lists up to 750hp with it. With a tandem axle spec, it would probably be a pretty decent truck here. I know Robert was testing the previous-generation FH, though theirs had the D13, which is still available here.

Jon

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
Yes, just north America lost the Volvo/Mack 16L twins.

Ray F

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »
Yes, just north America lost the Volvo/Mack 16L twins.
Probably was a Good thing too  :-\ At Least According to a Salesman of a Mack/Volvo Dealer, I spoke to back in 2007 for My Uncle (Now Deceased)  :'( He was thinking of Spec'ing out a VT-800 Tri-Axle Day Cab Dump Truck with a D-16 600HP Engine, but They kept Leading him around in a Circle. So After All the Run Around, He said to heck with it and decided to go buy the Pete 379 Tri/A, that he ran up until 2012.   

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 05:28:52 AM »
That would have been something to see.....a VT880 dump truck.

I have two friends with Titan MP10 605 self loader log trucks. They pull like trains. My other friends have deleted ISX's with the 750 h.p. programs and they can't pass them on the hills. And the Mack's are stock. One of them is the copper colored one that was on Mack's web site and in the brochures and calendars. (though at different years Mack photo-shopped it to different colors, LOL.)

LMB

• Regular Membership
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
I wonder if this new Mack is gonna be unveiled along with the updated VNL.

Idaho Milk has what must be a test mule of the next gen VNL running in Idaho and Montana, It looked like a VNL cab with a hood based on the Supertruck concept, I wish I had a camera with me when I had seen it, it's not even camoed.

Jon_G

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »

It looks like someone on Youtube has gotten footage of the new VNL, this one a 780. I have to say I like the way it looks, it incorporates the features I liked on their Super Truck, like the LED lights and sleeker front end, without all the over the top aero features the concept had. A nice looking cab, and much better than the Mack IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfKKDXO6bU

Jon

The Fugitive

• Regular Membership
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
I see Volvo is still using the old style dash and steering wheel.I have just went onto my second new style FH with 13 ltr 500 HP engine and both have had the new style Wheel and dash. Oh I forgot to mention the have the finest auto box on the market the I SHIFT.        Bob.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »

It looks like someone on Youtube has gotten footage of the new VNL, this one a 780. I have to say I like the way it looks, it incorporates the features I liked on their Super Truck, like the LED lights and sleeker front end, without all the over the top aero features the concept had. A nice looking cab, and much better than the Mack IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfKKDXO6bU

Jon

Very interesting, I did not know that there was a new VNL (or whatever they'll call it, if they change the name) coming out already, but now I do, thanks for sharing! :)  And for once I'm not going to complain about a newfangled design. 8)  I quite like it too; while incorporating some elements from the Super Truck, those elements have been considerably watered down, and the design overall is still conservative.  Design wise it looks to be an evolution of the current VNL, which in turn was an evolution of the VN, while each maintain their own identity.  The grille could use some chrome but that may come with the official model, as this is likely just a test unit.  Otherwise, when spec'd right I think the VNL can actually look pretty good, and I'm glad to see that the new design doesn't deviate much from that. 8)

Jon_G

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »

I didn't know either, I just happened upon it when googling info on the VNR reveal which is scheduled on April 20th. I'm with you, I was glad they didn't go overboard with the aero stuff, I like current gen VNL and actually think I like this new one even more so. I liked the LED lights and the cleaner front end on the Super Truck but hated all the aero add ons, so I'm glad they're keeping it the way it is. You could spec chrome grille surrounds on the previous one, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't available on the new one. I wonder if they are unveiling the whole range soon or not. Always liked the Volvos, and many owners I have spoken to at shows, as well as read posts from on blogs and such, are really pleased with their trucks. I know a lot of people aren't fans of Volvo for changing Mack from it's roots as a purpose-built vocational manufacturer, but they make a nice truck I have to say.

Jon

james j neiweem

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
The new (cosmetic) Mack is due out in September. There is a slight glimpse video of it on you tube. Bold Mack letters will be back on the grill. Looks like same cab with new hood. Interior changes will allow driver to stand up in the sleeper versions. New head lights and fenders will be flattened off at the top. New hood vents. This looks like it will replace the axle back pinnacle. Not sure about the axle forward pinnacle. :)

james j neiweem

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »
Due in 4 days 9-13-17. Looks like the pinnacle axle back will look more like an axle back CH from the 90's.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs