If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Another Chicken Coop Story in Indiana  (Read 557 times)

Rich_S

• Regular Membership
Another Chicken Coop Story in Indiana
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
I had a 1984 Freightliner cabover with a 42' Trailmobile flatbed working for a steel hauling company out of Pittsburgh, PA. They had a single 52,000 lbs coil they needed moved from Gary IN. to Atlanta, GA. I told them I would be close in weight, if they'd cover me I'd take the load and they said yes. Well I gave it my best guess when placing the coil on the trailer and actually nailed it. Stopped at the truck stop to check my axles and sure enough, 12,000 on the steer, 34,000 on the drives and 34,000 on the trailer, I was at the legal gross, except I forgot one thing, you'll find out in a minute  :D. I started down I 65 headed for Atlanta when I heard a northbound tell me the coops were open, no problem I though until I pulled on the scales. The weight master told me to pull around back and bring in my paper work. As soon as I walked in the door, his exact words were "Don't tell me, let me guess, you weight 185 lbs" Being a little dumbfounded, I agreed he was correct in my body weight and it hit me what I forgot to account for  :P The next question he ask me was if I just fueled in Gary, and my answer was yes. He then told me I was exactly 185 lbs over gross, he said this was just a warning and I should keep my fuel tanks at half or below. All my other paperwork looked OK and told me to have a good day. Yes, there were a few good guys back then, because he could have impounded my truck and load for being over gross. I thanked him and went on my merry way to Atlanta. Also I finished the trip never adding more than 50 gallons of fuel per tank, just to make sure I didn't have any problems in KY, TN or GA  ;) 
Cheers,
Rich S.

Hank's Truck Forum

Another Chicken Coop Story in Indiana
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »