If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Author Topic: Sad News about Gerard Laplante  (Read 1746 times)

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
Re: Sad News about Gerard Laplante
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
My condolences to Gerard and his family. May he rest in peace.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
Very good idea Pascal. His knowledges and the quality of his contribution to the Forum was remarkable.

HuntFlatbed

• Just Trying To Keep Up With The Real Truckers.....
    • My RR Pics
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
Was very saddened to hear this news.  Mr. Laplante was able to fill me in about a few sharp Quebec rigs I caught in my area. He will be sadly missed.

cash flow

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
How ironic, in the last few years, Gerard always seemed to catch Larry Beaupre of Caribou in his photos of Albert Farms trucks, #55 Big Red, and #69, the Bingo truck, otherwise known as the "Internet Superstar".  When I told Larry that a picture of him and his truck had been posted on Hank's, he remembered that he had seen Gerard along the road taking the picture on that day.

Sadly, Larry died on April 30 of this year from complications of cancer, having been diagnosed last August.  And today, we have lost Gerard.  Our world has been enriched by knowing these two very different people, no doubt.

i want to join everybody else who has posted ahead of me in reaching out to Gerard's family in extending our collective condolences.

Dave   

Running Pete

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
I was very sorry to read this, my condolences to his family.

I agree that using one of his pictures for the main photo would be very fitting.

US MAIL GUY

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
My sympathy to his family. He will be missed. A very knowledgeable man about the truck hobby.
                                                                                                                       Gary

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
I am also very sad to see this. My sympathy and condolences to his family. He will be missed.

The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
Hi,

This is not Gérard but rather his son Jean-François Laplante.

Since forum registrations are closed, I wasn't able to register under my own name to talk to you guys so I decided to use my father's account.  I'm absolutely sure that he wouldn't mind but I also hope this is not to awkward for you.

Believe me, I would like nothing more than my father channeling Mark Twain and saying "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" but sadly it is not the case.  This freak accident is real and the senseless death that followed is now a sad reality that I have to live with.  He left a big hole in my life as we were close.

I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and let you know that the 'modest' service that my father requested was today.  About 100 people, mostly his family and friends and at least two truck drivers showed up.  I organised a very personal service at my Sugar Shack that he may or may not have talked to you about.  I was trying to follow his wishes as closely as possible.  There was no burial as he has special requests regarding his ashes.

I also wanted to let you know that his gigantic photo collection is safe and sound as I was able to gain access to his computer.  He also has a printed collection that I will get soon.  One of his last wishes was to have the relevant parts of his collection given to the Québec National Archives and, of course,  I will honor this wish.

I will register here if access becomes available but in the meantime, I can be reached at jeff@jflaplante.com if there anything special related to my father like discs that needs to be returned, etc.

Thanks again for all your love.

JF.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
Very sorry for your loss.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

JJG

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2017, 12:25:52 AM »
Thank you for sharing this moment with us JF, I can't imagine your pain, I was not that close to my father and his health just slowly deteriorated till he passed away, still a loss and hard to lose a parent/loved one, friend but to suddenly lose a father that you are close with in a sudden way, that is hard! You mention the sugar shack, he talked about that often and mentioned how he spent time with you during maple season, shared both passions with the expansion of the shack with pictures and stories about that process. It adds that friendship part of him that went beyond all "truck stuff", at least for me. Those moments created that special friendship that will be missed. I am so sorry for your loss and wish you strength in the years to come, for all your family as well.

You are welcome here, not at all awkward for me for sure, glad you felt free enough to respond, it means a lot.  Thanks, and all the best.

Jim.

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »
My feeling's exactly my deepest sympathy.

Wayne Crane

wbache

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2017, 08:56:56 PM »
My deepest sympathy to you and the family.  Gerard not only took pictures he usually posted them with an explanation of when and where.  He posted a lot of pictures from a spot he referred to as "the Curve" and ventured out there even in inclement weather. His posts of the family history on Facebook showed the pride he had in his family and their history. Thank you for sharing with us during a difficult time--Walt

Blue Mule74

• Regular Membership
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 01:03:50 AM »
I actually didn't see this thread until last Friday, But, Anyway, It's sad to hear the latest news on Gerard and Like Dave said (Cashflow) About Larry Beaupre out of Caribou, ME, A.K.A Flash, It's funny how Dave mentioned how Gerard use to take Larry's quite a few times and It did happen, Too, As Dave said, Larry passed away on April 30, 2017, I ended up going to Larry's wake on May 4, 2017, With my father, Larry's known me for years, I had just came out of diapers when I first met Larry, Anyway, I thought this would be cool for Gerard's family to know and for me to share here, When I was at Larry's wake on May 4, 2017, There was a slide show for Larry and one of the picture's used in that slide show was a picture Gerard took of Larry while he had Truck #55, From Albert Farms (The Red Volvo), You could see Larry's face behind the wheel of the truck pretty well in this particular picture Gerard had taken of Larry, Larry's funeral was on May 5, 2017, I didn't make it, Because, i woke up sick the day I went to his wake, Where I saw one of Gerard's picture's used in Larry's slide show, Gerard, I'll sincerely miss you, These past 5 Years, We've gotten close as well me getting close to other members, Since I've joined the forum in late 2015, But, You, Lee Dugas, Charlie Danko and Doug Mackenzie the only four members that I've ever talked to before I joined this forum...
Lance C.

Founder of Lance's Truck Picture's

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 04:28:54 AM »
I can only echo the words of JJG & the others who posted before me. :( Gerard brought so much to this Forum - not only truck photography but the beautiful Quebec scenery, family shots and always a bit of history thrown in too.  :) So glad to hear his photos will be preserved. 8) We never met but I feel Gerard was a kindred spirit & a friend through emails & PMs shared over the last 10 years and I will miss him. Thanks for the follow up info JF & condolences to you and your family.

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 09:08:56 AM »
Merci JF for your update. I shared a lot of infos with your dad since I joined here.And really enjoy through out the Time his updates from "The Curve", or St Liboire and let's not forget the North Shore. I dont think we realize it yet but I think this forum lost an important contributor, who's art work made everybody happy.

Mes plus sincères sympathies à toi et à ta sœur,ta maman et à vos familles respectives.
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 09:08:56 AM »