Author Topic: Old flatbed trailers  (Read 556 times)

FireStar

• Regular Membership
Old flatbed trailers
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:26:06 AM »
SO when I was meandering around the internet the other day, looking up scenes from old movies involving trucks, I came across the last part of The Menace from 1977, and as I was watching three truckers terrorize the little VW Bug, a thought had occurred to me. The flatbed being pulled by the Pete 359 looks an awful lot like a flatbed railcar. And that brings me to my question. Was there a trailer company that actually made them like this, or did people just take surplus railcars and turn them into semi trailers? I am really curious about this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_Os0C2bFy6d0ZsWVRLNXBpelE/view?usp=sharing
If you can't drive a real truck, play a simulator. It's what one of my friends does.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
Re: Old flatbed trailers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:28:46 AM »
Looks like an outside rail flatdeck.
The mudflaps say Trailmobile which built a lot of trailers at one time.

FireStar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:44:20 AM »
Ok. Thanks for the help.
If you can't drive a real truck, play a simulator. It's what one of my friends does.

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »
Rob's right.
 Here's one I saw recently at a scrap yard in Az.
 I try to get a picture of the old stuff. It's good to see it still being used, but it's disappearin' fast.

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »
These outside rail flatbeds used to be really popular in western states, I imagine the more modern composite flatbeds offer a significant weight savings, perhaps why these fell out of favor?

Jon

FireStar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »
I personally have never seen one in real life, but like I said, it looks like someone took a railroad flatbed and turned it into a semi trailer. Still think they look cool though.

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
One outfit I drove for had a couple old 40 footers they had steel frames and Oak floors . Weight was an issue they were replaced with lighter 45 foot Aluminum spread axle trailers .
- The Cabover days were the best days -

John L. Becker

• The Official Cyber Home of Acme Trailer Works!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »
These style of flatbeds were really common back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Several LTL outfits had these in their city and line haul fleets. ABF, CF,  Yellow, Smith's (CA), Reddaway, etc. were some of the carriers with these.