Author Topic: Heartbroken  (Read 861 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Heartbroken
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »
External hard drives do not last forever either...
Yep........found that out the hard way in December 2015 when mine crapped out & I lost just about all my photos from 2006- 2010 (100,000 give or take a few). :( :'( I haven't gotten another XHD but probably will in the near future. :-\

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 11:45:53 PM »
External hard drives do not last forever either...

This is true but I plan on using it as redundant backup in addition to Crash Plan and the 2nd internal (which I am going to run raid 1 on). If I get 4 years out of it I will be happy, I splurged on the Hitachi which supposedly has the lowest failure rate around. Point is, I don't plan on relying on that exclusively as the backup.

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
Did the sand disk   info help 

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »
It didn't, sorry Wayne. The first number you gave me dropped the call twice, and the second number was incomplete. I tried a generic Sandisk help line but they told me they couldn't help me since I didn't register the card (which sounds like bs, I offered them the Amazon receipt), and even then they would've just sent a replacement card, not actually recovered the stuff. I have learned a valuable lesson about registering electronics though.

I also went to a branch out in Falls Church for a national company called Ace Data Recovery, they diagnosed it and said it had to be fully rebuilt and it would cost about 2600 bucks, which is roughly 4 times as much as my trip to Tampa cost. So I said no and actually just rebooked another weekend trip to Tampa for the end of this month. Hopefully this time will go better. Thanks again though Wayne.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Let me talk to my neighbor & see if he's up to a challenge. ;D If so you can send me your memory card..........it might cost you a bottle of wine though. :) :D

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »
Let me talk to my neighbor & see if he's up to a challenge. ;D If so you can send me your memory card..........it might cost you a bottle of wine though. :) :D

Pretty sure even a bottle of Dom P wouldn't cost as much as Ace Data Recovery's price lol, I'm all ears if your neighbor wants to help me out. Ace did say it would be a full rebuild job though, bits and parts of the controllers and internal hardware has to be rebuilt and then the data has to be unscrambled. They also said because it was a Sandisk card it takes some special method that means the only way to do it is the full rebuild.

But still, I don't want to discourage you Charlie, I will take all the help I can get. The least I could do would be buying a decent bottle of wine to pay for the troubles.