Author Topic: Question about Glider Kits  (Read 266 times)

Jon_G

Question about Glider Kits
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »

I was just curious, so with the 386 no longer being available from Peterbilt and the T660 being discontinued by Kenworth, obviously they are not available from the factory. However, I notice Fitzgerald still lists them on their website. Does this mean someone can go get a 2017 386 if they so choose?

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

Question about Glider Kits
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Paystar

• Regular Membership
Re: Question about Glider Kits
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
I can't contribute to your question Jon, but have you noticed that when you buy a brand new Freightliner Coronado glider you still get the first generation of it with the round headlights and the old style interior.

I have seen some gliders for sale in the U.S. with the new Coronado/122SD hood but not sure how they did that?

Here's an example. Click on the pic and it will pop up.
http://tmstruck.com/listings/2017-freightliner-coronado-glider/400478
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Jon_G

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »

Yes, I know Fitzgerald has them on their site as well. I wonder if they have access to the tooling, as they are pretty much a full-fledged manufacturer. I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers have to have parts availability for a certain number of years after a model is discontinued (not sure how true that is) but perhaps the truck manufacturers are supplying them?
In regard to the Coronados, Freightliner themselves have the Coronado available as a glider, though it was only the first generation. Someone on here told me the new version is now available as a glider also. You can get the Columbia, Argosy (with the new grille), as well as the Cascadia, with the original or Evolution skirting configuration as a glider kit from FL also.

Jon

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
Man, if I could have got the new style 122SD as a glider before I got rid of my 98 Classic, there may have been a new 122SD here with an N14 Cummins in it, LOL.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:43:11 AM »
 Glad you guys brought this up.
There's several local trucking companies around here that build their own trucks, and more recently a freshly built glider showed up at the local Pete dealer, add to that an old friend building his latest ride, and I'm wondering if it's really that difficult to do, or if the paperwork is just extra bothersome.

I came across the definition from Transport Canada, which basically says that their position mirrors US regulations.

http://www.bctrucking.com/sites/default/files/tc_glider_kits_position_statement_feb_2014.pdf

I find this bit interesting.
“Glider kits” are assemblages of parts and not considered vehicles and therefore are not regulated by Transport Canada.

From the US regs.
(e) Combining new and used components. When a new cab is used in the assembly of a truck, the truck will be considered newly manufactured for purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, the application of the requirements of this chapter, and the Act, unless the engine, transmission, and drive axle(s) (as a minimum) of the assembled vehicle are not new, and at least two of these components were taken from the same vehicle.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.7

Seems the biggest hurdle is classifying the vehicle and the stance of which province you live in.

As for Fitz gliders, from their website, you can get a 2015 or 2016 model 386, but not a 2017 model.

http://fitzgeraldgliderkits.taphostedwebsites.com/search?s-type=truck&s-page=1&s-page_size=25
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:50:21 AM by Wee Willy »
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

cash flow

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
I just initiated the registrations last week for two 2015 Pete 389's for JDR Transport that came from Fitzgerald's, and wondered about that.  Is it that Pete did not offer a 389 after 2015?

Dave

Jon_G

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
Man, if I could have got the new style 122SD as a glider before I got rid of my 98 Classic, there may have been a new 122SD here with an N14 Cummins in it, LOL.
Harrison Truck Centers in IA has several of them listed, nice looking trucks. I believe only the 122 wheelbase is available. Freightliner discontinued the 132 Coronado after the 2016 model year.

Jon

Jon_G

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »
Glad you guys brought this up.
There's several local trucking companies around here that build their own trucks, and more recently a freshly built glider showed up at the local Pete dealer, add to that an old friend building his latest ride, and I'm wondering if it's really that difficult to do, or if the paperwork is just extra bothersome.

I came across the definition from Transport Canada, which basically says that their position mirrors US regulations.

http://www.bctrucking.com/sites/default/files/tc_glider_kits_position_statement_feb_2014.pdf

I find this bit interesting.
“Glider kits” are assemblages of parts and not considered vehicles and therefore are not regulated by Transport Canada.

From the US regs.
(e) Combining new and used components. When a new cab is used in the assembly of a truck, the truck will be considered newly manufactured for purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, the application of the requirements of this chapter, and the Act, unless the engine, transmission, and drive axle(s) (as a minimum) of the assembled vehicle are not new, and at least two of these components were taken from the same vehicle.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.7

Seems the biggest hurdle is classifying the vehicle and the stance of which province you live in.

As for Fitz gliders, from their website, you can get a 2015 or 2016 model 386, but not a 2017 model.

http://fitzgeraldgliderkits.taphostedwebsites.com/search?s-type=truck&s-page=1&s-page_size=25
Willy, thanks for all the info you posted! Very interesting

Jon

Jon_G

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »
I just initiated the registrations last week for two 2015 Pete 389's for JDR Transport that came from Fitzgerald's, and wondered about that.  Is it that Pete did not offer a 389 after 2015?

Dave
The 389 is still available from Peterbilt as a complete truck, but you can also get one as a glider kit. The 386, meanwhile, was discontinued by Peterbilt in either 2014 or 2015.

Jon