If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Wreckerman's Projects. Update 3/21/18  (Read 4091 times)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
Re: A few of my projects. Update 8/13/17
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
Thanks guys!
Mooby- no they are not recaps, they're actually new. As a whole we try to avoid recaps on the steers, it's just a safety precaution, because a recap isn't quite as reliable as a new tire and if one should have a defect, its better to have a blowout on the rear than one on the steer.

I didn't want to say anything because who am I to tell you what to do, but that's exactly what I was thinking too. Recaps are fairly common culprits in blowouts from what little I know and it would be an obvious safety hazard to put them on the steers. Especially for an old beauty like that, I could just see the entire front end getting mashed because of a steer tire blowout. Thanks for the response to a fairly personal question :).

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »

Jon_G

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »

The Mack is looking great!

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
Awesome stuff Wreckerman. I was always a Mustang fan too.

The Ultraliner sure looks sweet with the wide base steers.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
I don't know anything about Ironman tires.....but those are an exact copy of the Bridgestone M844's I have always run. They are the best I have found in the winter. Don't hydro-plane in slush like the Good Year 286 and 296's.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »
Thanks!
I know very little about tires, but I knew I wanted the fattest ones that would fit and a blend between good quality and not breaking the bank. These have been good so far, but weíll see as time progresses how they hold up.

I wasnít really looking for a Mustang, I just saw this one and being a diehard Ford guy, I was able to save it. Maybe one day Iíll take it to some shows.

Anyway, hereís a shot of the Mack all polished up and the Diamond Reo at the ATHS Show.

A few people wanted to know if I was going to unload the Reo... considering it has no engine, transmission, or driveshaft, it stayed on the trailer. Maybe one day itíll run but getting the Mack done, and then the Autocar comes first.

Hopefully going to get some body work done on the Mack, especially to the passenger side fender, itís held together with tape, so looking to fix and paint it to match the rest of the truck. Iíd like to get as much work done as I can in the next few months, Iíd really like to take it to the Kenly 95 Show and the Charlotte Diesel Super Show next year.

Also looking for some input; should I get a brush guard made for it? Iím looking at Mik-Mak and Truck Defenders now, just kinda want something more between me and any animals or things that get in the way. Thereís a lot of deer where I live, and Iíd hate to end up with a busted up front end, because parts would be nearly impossible to find.
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Paystar

• Regular Membership
Re: A few of my projects. Update 11/2/17
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
Looking very good! You have a nice collection of stuff.

I know the value of a moose bumper (what we call them up here.) Just don't know if I care for that look on a cabover.

But I can tell you Mik-Mak makes the strongest on the market. I know they stand up to hit after hit against moose. And their mount plates are strong enough to withstand towing.

Yes they are a pain as they have the two eye bolts that have to be screwed in and out to open and close, but the brands that have the one handed latch all start to rattle after a while. The Mik-Mak is always tight. I've had them on many trucks.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
Re: A few of my projects. Update 1/2/18
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:20 PM »
Well, I have recently learned more about the Mackís history, so hereís the story. :D

On 12/30/17 I was moving some trailers around at the shop, and just happened to temporarily park the MH where the sun hit the door just right allowing me to make out some of the old decals on it.
Turns out it was Truck #434 for Miles Trucking out of Ridgely, Maryland.
From what I gathered, the company ran into some issues and auctioned off equipment, including my MH. Iím guessing from there it went to the dealer in Virginia that I bought it from.
Hereís the link to the auction from 2014: http://triceauctions.com/old/delaware-construction-auctions/

Anyway hereís what it looked like before I got it.

Iím extremely happy about finding this little bit history on it, I had honestly expected to never know any history about it.

Iím pretty sure that it was not purchased new by this Miles Trucking, so Iíll continue searching for info about its heritage. ;)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »
That's pretty cool that you got to find out a little history about your Mack. :) 8)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
I agree with Charlie, it's definitely cool to find out some back history on your rig. Also idk if you've put a guard on your Mack or not, but I speak for myself when I say I prefer the clean look. Can't object to wanting to protect your truck from some eventual roadkill though.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
Re: A few of my projects. Update 2/2/18
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »
Thanks!
I do believe I'll skip the guard, and probably eventually get a nice Texas bumper made for it.

Here's my latest change;

A headache rack. ;)
The rack looks a little rough but we got it cheap years ago, and never used it.

I'm not positive I'll leave it on there, but so far I'm liking how it looks and the protection it offers the cab.
And of course I'll get it polished up as soon as I can. :D

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and opinions. ;D

JJG

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 11:09:27 PM »
Looks good, functional and better looking to me then the moose bars up front would be! I know they serve a purpose too but this looks good!

Jim.

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:36 AM »
NOOOOO!!!!! No Texas bumper! I think your truck looks perfect as is. Put some Bulldog mirrors on it and it will be perfect.

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
Thanks Jim!
Paystar, I've recently had a change of heart on what look I want to go for.
I've decided to leave it pretty classic, Bull Dog mirrors, factory bumper, factory paint scheme, and maybe a little frame stretch, and leave it be. ;)
I'll need to restore the interior and I'll replace all the old interior and exterior lights with LEDs, but other than that I'll let a vintage rig be a vintage rig. ;D

Speaking of paint here's the idea I'm liking most.

Obviously, this isn't my picture.
Anyway, instead of saying "MAGNUM", I would use whatever name I ended up using for my Mack.
I've got some cool name ideas, but I don't want to spoil the surprise...
Regardless, I'm hoping for frame stretch and/or paint by the end of the year.

JJG

Re: A few of my projects. Update 2/16/18
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 12:04:06 AM »
It all is awesome but the frame stretch is not something you need to do IMO, I quite like that truck as it is , paint option is awesome and the return of the mirrors perfect!! It's your truck however, you decide, still cool to see it treated well!!

Jim

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
Re: Wreckerman's Projects. Update 3/21/18
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
Drove the Mack to the paint shop last week. :D
I'm planning on taking it to several Truck Shows around North Carolina this year, so I gotta get it looking better! ;)
Not going to paint the whole truck (yet), but getting a lot of body work and miscellaneous paint touch ups.
I'm also getting some proofs from the decal shop on a few different things, I'm definitely going to try some type of decal, just as a test to see what looks good on it.
Anyway, I'm hoping to get it back about the third week of April at the latest, because there's a few Truck Shows in May I'm planning to take the Mack to.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get it back, so stay tuned!

Hank's Truck Forum

Re: Wreckerman's Projects. Update 3/21/18
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »