If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Reefer Truckin' Again  (Read 4476 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
Re: Reefer Truckin' Again
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Glad to hear the Reefer work is going well.Just wondering when your company is getting rid of the Peterbilts and buying you a new  NIKOLA trucks that are being built in Salt Lake City.US Express has ordered one. They are powered by a Hydrogen cell and they recon they will be better than the Telsa car.     bob,

That was a good laugh, haha. I'm pretty sure those trucks would not work out for pulling the belly dumps.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
Well, the last ten days or so have not gone as smoothly as the rest of the reefer season. It happens sometimes, I suppose, but it sure hasn't been fun (still better than last year's belt trailer episode though), haha. I loaded my four dropper last Monday night and started towards Seattle. Before I ever loaded, I asked if they could reschedule the load earlier in the day in case I had bad weather and they weren't interested. Well, that night I ran into some serious snow about Twin Falls, Idaho. I made it to Bliss before I got tired of not being able to see where I was going and parked. When I woke up from my nap Tuesday morning, it had stopped snowing and I headed out with plenty of time to legally make it to Seattle and get some sleep before my first drop. Calling 511 shortly after crossing into Oregon, the roads were clear all the way up to I-82, where I would head across the river into Washington. Well, somebody jack-knifed a truck coming down Cabbage Hill and they closed the road for a few hours with me sitting near the summit. By the time the road opened, snow had moved in and covered the road, so we had to chain up. I got to Stanfield, Oregon and found that I-82 in Washington was closed because of a pile-up and snow drifts over the road. I called 511 and I would have to wear chains all the way to Portland if I chose to go that way, had to wear chains for an unknown distance if I chose to run up 395, 730, and 12 to go up through Pasco, Washington, and I realized that I would not be able to make it past the Cle Elum, Washington scales before I was out of hours, no matter what. Calling the broker and explaining that did no good, I've never been late before (unless I was stuck in a dock), so he just expected me to make it, I guess. Wednesday morning I wore my chains up to the river, taking 395, 730, and 12 because I-82 was still closed, but had a relatively smooth drive the rest of the way. Well, I missed my appointment, they had to reschedule everything for the next day, and I got to sit in Puyallup, Washington for a few hours that afternoon. First drop on Thursday went great, second drop in Sumner sat me there for seven hours to work me in, so I had to reschedule the third drop for Friday morning (now two days late) and made it back to Puyallup in time to make the fourth drop, but had to bargain with the lumpers since we had to move the Tacoma drop out of the way to get to their product and I ended up helping them lump the load, which was fine, they didn't charge me the fee. Sat in Puyallup for another half a day after that. Friday morning I made my Tacoma drop and scooted across the state to Royal City to load onions, everything went great and the roads were much better, so I headed home. Had ice fog half way across Idaho and the ice build up broke an antenna, but we made it home Saturday morning. Those onions had to go to Eaton, Colorado, so I left Sunday afternoon to deliver Monday morning. On the way out, I saw a cow moose, two bull elk, and hundreds of deer and pronghorn across I-80. Slept in the customer's driveway and the unload went great, but it was snowing again. I headed down to Denver to reload, but that load cancelled and I had to layover until Tuesday morning to load groceries coming back to Salt Lake. I unloaded that yesterday morning and came home to work on the truck for awhile. I requested today off to get a dentist appointment out of the way and I'm supposed to load tomorrow and I have basically been begging them to load me for the Midwest so I can make up some miles and make the money that I've missed out on the last two weeks. The bellies are still busy, no one is laid off yet and the boss was pressuring me to haul salt today, but it's time for a break AT HOME after all those breaks sitting in the truck, haha.

This was the snow coming down when I parked in Bliss, Idaho Monday night.

Sitting on top of Cabbage.

This old girl sits in the TA in North Bend, Washington.

Some trucks at Sapp Brothers in Commerce City, Colorado.

Just a set of 125 foot joists behind 45 at the yard (off topic).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:44:27 AM by peterbilttrucker »

Jon_G

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »

Sorry to hear you went thru all that! Another reason I hate snow ;D Still, glad to hear everything overall worked out in the end, and you could take a much needed break!

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
I don't mind driving in the snow, but I sure hate putting chains on and sitting while the road is closed. That being said, this is the first time in my career they've made me put chains on that I actually felt like I needed chains, haha. Right now, the west is getting pounded with snow again, so I'm afraid I'm gonna be dispatched to the Northwest again to catch up on all the loads that are being rescheduled now. Getting fairly jealous of one of our other reefer trucks that has loaded six trips to the Midwest back-to-back. I'd love to trade him.....

tootall67

• Regular Membership
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »

This was the snow coming down when I parked in Bliss, Idaho Monday night.

That's a nice shot with the snow coming down...........

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Thanks, it was a quick shot with my phone, I was soaked by the time I made it back to the truck, haha.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
Quite an adventure up in Washington, I'd say! Now, how many reefer trucks do you have now? Is it just you and Terry, or are there more? Sure hope you'll be getting some nice Midwest trips, btw. ;)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »
We own four trailers now and five sleeper trucks, but one is on the crude oil haul. Currently only three of the four reefers are on the road though because one of the drivers was crying. We are building two Kenworth gliders with sleepers this winter that are supposed to be pulling reefers next winter. As you know from Facebook, I landed another Seattle turn with more chaining up and yet another layover, haha, oh well. Terry has done six back-to-back trips to the Midwest, some guys have all the luck.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs