If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Truck Loading Bay Diorama WIP  (Read 3307 times)

tiking

• Regular Membership
Truck Loading Bay Diorama WIP
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »
Well fellow modeling friends; it has certainly been a while since I posted my last truck build, especially longer if we mention a 1/24 scale diorama for that matter. Here is where I am with my latest project, representing a Truck 'on/off' loading bay. Now, let me apologies for not posting pics from the very beginning stages of this build. Unfortunately I lost pics from that time period. I was doing a transfer from my phone to the computer and erasing the originals at the same time. So, these are the ones that I have available for you all to see. But, I still have a bit to go before this is finish. So hopefully, I will be able to take some photos of the process from here on out. Hope you enjoy the photos. I wanted something different to work on and I thought this theme would provide some interest. It will incorporate a trailer, docked, and an open cargo bay next to the one you see in the diorama already. I will also add a forklift and some workers inside one of the bays. I am, trying to keep things simple, yet interesting for the eye to gaze upon. so we will see, if I can achieve the look I am going for. As always, things might change along the way or not, but regardless of how it turns out, I will try and make it an interesting diorama.The base for the diorama is made out of foam board or poster board and placed on a picture frame.

-------------------------

You can see what I used as the facade and pic frame for the base as well as how I intended to lay it all out:

----------------------------

The forklift is a plastic toy model I bought at a local super market. I was lucky, because the scale was 1/24. So I already started to take it apart and removing the internal mechanism to do some minor detailing and a repaint:

The Bay parts were made scratch built from plastic styrene and rubber materials, cut to fit. The signs were made from photos of the real thing scale down in Photoshop.The big opening which is painted a dark brown will remain as is. I decided it will not be seen, so there would be no point in detailing something that on one will see. As the reefer trailer is going to be docked right up to it, it will block out whatever view there is.

I added parallel guides for the truck on both sides of the bay door. They are made from thick and harden electrical wiring material. I picked this out of a container

which had been discarded. I thought, it would come in handy one day.

This pic shows the almost finished facade of the adjacent building. that will be place on the long side of the diorama.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The formboard before and after. I am removing the first layer as this has the material I am using is sandwiched between two cardboard paper. Removing the layer is very easy. I just take a sharp hobby knife and carefully peel off the paper.

This is what it looks like after I remove the paper backing:

The steel beams. I painted them blue.

The back of the second wall backing was done using the same method as the front.  I used only half of the wall. I did not want to use the entire length. So I did it this way. 

This is how the wall looks now, when it is setup. I think it is starting to look like something.

These will be the corner protective pillars that will be used at the entrance of the second entrance of the industry building:

I decided to make air vents out of these. Yes. I tend to use whatever I have on hand, as to not spent too much money.

I am going to use these to kit-bash/scratch built some Air conditioners. We shall see how that goes.

These, I will use to scratch built some flood lights:

Charles King

Hank's Truck Forum

Truck Loading Bay Diorama WIP
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

tiking

• Regular Membership
Re: Truck Loading Bay Diorama WIP
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
I finally got the components together that will give me a reasonable spotlight design. I was planning of purchasing but decided that I could not wait and went ahead and scratch built my own. I think they will look 'ok', when painted.

------------------------------

I decided to scratch built my own security camera. Here are the parts and what I used to put my own together:

The components all laid out- I made the glass out of plastic. I had to mount the see-through plastic piece separately. Then cut a second piece to provide a protective cover for the lens. Then a third inner body piece as the internal housing:

The components mounted together: I think the effort was worth it:

-------------------------------------------

I used resin nuts and bolts. Glad I had bought many of these sometime ago. I knew they would have come in handy:

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
I made a drainage in the ground in front of the second docking platform:

-------------------------------

I built the U-beam from an old piece of plastic I found. I painted it blue and added a piece of poster-board painted a concrete color.

-------------------------------------------

This is what I used to paint the building. It was custom mixed by my local paint store. It is a concrete color.

The dock platform:

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
More progress of the second truck docking bay.Added a black wash over the entire concrete platform. Then added a second brown wash accentuate the concrete. The results looked pretty good to me. Then I added the details to the bay itself:

[size=15]
Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
Details added:

[size=15]

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
The lights painted and mounted together with the camera. I am pretty pleased how they both turned out:

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
Added some interior greebies inside the second docks.

---------------------

Painted a yellow guide line in front of the second dock. Going to weather it up after everything is done:

---------------------------

Added the Caution pillar:

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
I took some out door photos(not really good ones, as it was still early in the morning), but the results were enough to let me know it looks good in the outdoors. ;) We'll see how it looks after I build the trailer. Still a little more work to do on the building.

On a special note about the concrete ground; It was a mistake on my part to make it at an angle against the building structure. I will have to live with it, unfortunately.
Charles King

tootall67

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
  That's pretty cool.......

chuckyr

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »
Absolutely wonderful!  This looks like a loading dock for supermarket or a Walmart store.

I plan to do a diorama as a back drop for my models someday.  I don't think my talents are on par with yours.

1/24th scale dioramas for semi trucks are naturally large.  You chose an efficient design for a limited space.

Just a few critiques, if you don't mind:

The camera and light cables look a bit out of scale and would look better in grey.  They should be secured to the building.  Any electrician worth their salt would do this.
The steps leading to the dock platform should have a grab bar next to it.  How could you climb the steps without them?
The equipment on the floor next to the loading dock entrance should have some sort of steel mesh barricade covering them.  Could you imagine a fork truck or cargo coming in contact with that equipment by accident?
You did say you were going to dock a reefer to this building?  How about some roof details?  Those details would indicate that this is a cold storage warehouse.
How about even more visual interest?  Put a dumpster at the end of the other loading dock where recyclables, such a s boxes, paper. wood. etc would be dumped.

Do you plan to photograph you diorama from a wide or close-in in perspective?

My niggling comments are are obviously just suggestions.  You can literately spent forever adding details. 

I can't wait to see the finished project!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:51:01 AM by chuckyr »

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »
Absolutely wonderful!  This looks like a loading dock for supermarket or a Walmart store.

I plan to do a diorama as a back drop for my models someday.  I don't think my talents are on par with yours.

1/24th scale dioramas for semi trucks are naturally large.  You chose an efficient design for a limited space.

Just a few critiques, if you don't mind:

The camera and light cables look a bit out of scale and would look better in grey.  They should be secured to the building.  Any electrician worth their salt would do this.
The steps leading to the dock platform should have a grab bar next to it.  How could you climb the steps without them?
The equipment on the floor next to the loading dock entrance should have some sort of steel mesh barricade covering them.  Could you imagine a fork truck or cargo coming in contact with that equipment by accident?
You did say you were going to dock a reefer to this building?  How about some roof details?  Those details would indicate that this is a cold storage warehouse.
How about even more visual interest?  Put a dumpster at the end of the other loading dock where recyclables, such a s boxes, paper. wood. etc would be dumped.

Do you plan to photograph you diorama from a wide or close-in in perspective?

My niggling comments are are obviously just suggestions.  You can literately spent forever adding details. 

I can't wait to see the finished project!

As the title says, Work in Progress.
Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »
I apologies for the bad pics. But when the diorama is completed, I will take better ones. These are just WIP as you can see:

The bay door 'open & close' mechanism painted and ready to mount on the inside wall:

I scratch built a drainage pipe that will be mount between both, the brick and concrete bay walls:

I have added side roof strips to all sides of the front facing building and painted them blue:

I scratch built a canopy for the second docking bay. I thought it was necessary and adds interest to the rest of the scene.

I used cardboard corrugated roofing which made the job easy and simple. This was later glued onto the styrene piece that was the canopy.

I used my trusty nuts and bolts for the areas that were going to be mounted to the wall. As you can also see, I made some bracing as well.:

The canopy mounted in place. I think it looks ok.

I decided to redo the concrete tarmac. I knew the ground did not look right, and this I was told should be perpendicular to the building and not at an angle as it is now. So I am trying to see if I can

rectify my mistake by hiding those grooves. We'll see if it works.

The Bay door mechanism device is now mounted.

Charles King

tiking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 02:32:37 AM »
I got the drain pipe in place. Yes. It is a little tight fit but it works. I have seen such fittings in very tight places. So I am not outside the norm.

Starting to add the little details both inside and outside. the concrete bay. Addind signs and graffiti around the bay. Also starting to add small scrape here and there.

I added the Bay Dock numbers on both docks.

I have now corrected the concrete ground, so it is perpendicular to the buildings. Took some spackling but I got it there.

Charles King

tootall67

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
  Looking good..........

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs