If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Rio Grande Express Lines Inc. (UPDATED 7/25/17)  (Read 5427 times)

Jon_G

Rio Grande Express Lines Inc. (UPDATED 7/25/17)
« on: November 10, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »
Hey all,

So, I decided with my garage spaces becoming limited with my regular game, to start a second company (I created a second profile). I don't plan on getting rid of the first one, G&G Trucking, and hope to keep adding to it as well, but wanted to have a new company to do a little differently than my first one. I admit to using a money/XP points mod to get funded quickly as opposed to spending months building up income, only for the sake of time. I have named the company Rio Grande Express Lines Inc, after both the location as well as an old trucking fleet, Rio Grande Motorways, which is no longer around. RGEL is based in Phoenix, AZ, near the airport. We have both a refrigerated and flatbed/specialized division. Our fleet currently consists of ten 2016 Peterbilt 389 power units, 9 of which have 600 Cummins ISX-15 engines and Eaton-Fuller gearboxes, very similar to the ones used at G&G Trucking. The 10th tractor is a heavy haul unit equipped with a third lift axle and a 720hp tuned Cummins for heavier loads. I have decided to keep this fleet mainly the classic style trucks for now, i.e. 389s and W900s, whereas G&G is a mix of both long-hood, cabover, and aero trucks. I plan on doing a couple of customized trucks for each garage I use, in addition to stock units. Hope you all enjoy this thread as well, we are taking applications! We require some experience, lots of West Coast running, no speed governors ;)

So, here are the first two trucks for today:
RG-1001 is a standard 389 with the larger Unibilt sleeper cab. The Viper 389, which I use (no disrespect to SCS, they did a great job on their 389, I just prefer this one), has available several paintable paint schemes, the classic Seminole being one of them. I went for a black and white with gold trim on this one, and I really like the way it turned out. As I am based near Phoenix airport, I have a chance to get a lot of the plain reefer trailers which I like the look of. Sorry for all the photos, I really though the tractor and trailer looked good together.

RG-1002 is a slightly customized 389, with the smaller bunk sleeper. This one is for my flatbed division, and comes equipped with a headache rack at the back end of the cab, which I added some lights to. I also lowered the suspension, put lights on the steps, side, and mirrors, equipped it with square 359 style headlights with fender mounted turn signals, painted the deck plate and fifth wheel to match the color, color matched the wheel hubs, and painted it with a tan/brown Seminole paint scheme. I don't like over the top customs, so I just wanted to go with a clean, low, retro vibe for this one.

Jon
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:57:14 PM by Jon_G »

Hank's Truck Forum

Rio Grande Express Lines Inc. (UPDATED 7/25/17)
« on: November 10, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
Re: Rio Grande Express Lines Inc.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
That's great to see you've started a second fleet; as I mentioned in my own thread I also have a second fleet.  While I don't play the game as much anymore, I do have three trucks in that fleet now so I should probably post those sometime.  Coincidentally my second fleet is also based out of Phoenix for the same reason as yours - to be able to better find plain white reefers, plus the fact that there are simply a lot of job choices there.  Anyway, both trucks look fantastic, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more! 8)

Jon_G

Re: Rio Grande Express Lines Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »

Thanks very much! I was hoping you would still post photos of your second fleet despite the computer issues, which I do hope will work out. I was looking at putting the alcoa trailer wheels mod in to have shiny wheels on the reefer but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Jon

Jon_G

Re: Rio Grande Express Lines Inc. (UPDATED 11/17/16)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »
Some more trucks for my new fleet:
RG-1003 is a second mildly customized 389, essentially the same spec as 1002, complete with the headache rack as it is a flatbed division truck. Also note there are Pride and Class logos on the side of the hood. This truck is technically not a P&C edition, but I love the way the logo looks so I put it on anyway. This truck has a black and gold Seminole scheme with matching gold hubs.
Here it is shortly after being picked up from the local Peterbilt dealership.

On its first trip with a step deck

All lit up at night

Parked for a rest at a small hotel just inside California

RG-1004 has the exact color scheme as 1003, except that it is a factory stock 389. This is shortly after I bought the truck, I have since added a Carrier APU to it, as I have to most of the trucks.

RG-1005 has the same black base color, but with a blue inverse color and matching blue hubs

Here is RG-1006, a purple and white 389. I put chrome center caps on this one as I didn't love the way the purple hubs looked when I tried them out, sometimes chrome is better! I parked out in the desert off to the side to get a couple of photos.

Back on the highway

RG-1007 is a white and black 389. I based this paint scheme heavily on the trucks used by Keane Thummel Trucking from New Market, IA. I was really happy with the way this one turned out. As it hauls mainly for the refrigerated division, here it is hooked to a plain white reefer trailer.

Parked in a small lot

In the "Monfort lane"

While on my trip, I stumbled upon a good photo op, showing the comparison of the Viper mod 389 I am using with the SCS (the game developer) version. I am very glad SCS put the 389 in the game and to each their own, but I prefer the mod one. To me, the SCS one just doesn't sit quite right and the hood looks too wide to me, but by no means did they do a bad job and I appreciate all the work they are putting in to the game.

The first flattop sleeper I purchased is RG-1008. Instead of doing three colors (cab, inverse, and trim), I did a black cab and inverse color, so that the only contrast was the white trim. I really like the way this one turned out.

RG-1009 is another flattop, this one a Pride and Class edition with a maroon and silver color scheme. Here it is pulling a Bushnell Farms reefer.

I'm sure the driver of this Mustang was none too pleased to be in this situation. The AI trucks in the game are so slow (much lower than the speed limit) and as I drive a little quickly, this tends to happen.

And, RG-1010 is the heavy-spec truck for the flatbed/specialized division. It has a chip tuned 720hp Cummins ISX for extra power and a lift axle to handle heavy loads. It is also a Pride & Class truck though I opted out of the chrome fenders.

Pulling a big load of fertilizer

I also wanted to share some photos of the recent re-scale, I think they did a great job and there are some really cool improvements, both in little details and of course the big map expansion

Jon
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:25:08 PM by Jon_G »

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
I love what you did with all of these; there's no way I can pick a favorite out of all of them! 8)

As for the modded 389 versus the regular SCS 389, I do see what you mean about the truck not sitting quite right, at least on the ones with the big sleeper.  The daycab, flattop, and big sleeper with the air shield don't seem to be so bad.  Otherwise, it looks like the mod you're using is pretty good quality, but the deal breaker for me is all the rivets.  I think the SCS one might have rivets as well, but they're much smaller and match the paint color of the truck, whereas in this mod you're using IMO their size, quantity, and the fact that they contrast with the paint job makes it look messy.  I would have really enjoyed seeing what you would do with the SCS 389, but you play your game how you want it, and I still enjoy seeing what you do with the modded 389s.  After all, I can always make some nice looking regular 389's on my own. :)

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
Thank you. Actually, the rivets are a changeable option. You can match them to the paint of the cab as well. I never really noticed, but it does clean it up a bit no doubt and makes the truck look better and more realistic as well. I believe you can (or at least used to be able to) spec the type of riveting on a real 389, and I have seen them in real life with the shiny rivets so it's at least realistic if nothing else ;D The ones on the SCS version appear to be about the same size, but you are right they are matched to the paint. I definitely appreciate SCS including the truck, but short of the mod going away I don't see myself using it but would definitely like to see what you come up with as they have some great in-game paint schemes for it.

Jon
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:46:11 PM by Jon_G »

Jon_G

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »

So here is a picture showing painted rivets on the Viper 389. You can also select to get rid of them entirely, but for me the painted ones are the most true to form. I am very glad you pointed that out as I never noticed how much they cluttered the otherwise nice looking truck, and I have converted all 10 of my 389's to the painted rivets now, it looks way better. Here is a photo of the Viper 389 with painted rivets for reference. I know you don't like tractor mods, and I definitely respect that, but if you are looking for a realistic driving, handling, and awesome sounding 389 with a giant variety of customizable options, this one is pretty good. It can be downloaded in Steam so if you decide you don't like it it takes two seconds to de-install or at least turn off.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
Somehow I missed this latest post until now.  The picture isn't showing up for some reason, but it's nice to know that you can change them.  I'm actually considering checking this mod out BTW so I can see for myself what you've been working with, but with a couple conditions - which is that I will probably only use it mostly to play around with in the truck browser and not for actual mainstream use in my fleet, although I will probably get one test unit.

Jon_G

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »

Sorry, not sure why it isn't showing up :-[ Cool that you are trying it out perhaps, hope that you like it. I have used both the SCS and this modded one, and while SCS certainly didn't do a bad job on theirs, for me the Viper 389 looks more accurate, sits more accurately, sounds better, and has far more customizable options available, and I have had no issues with it mixing with the game, the one problem I posted earlier was actually my fault! Test it out and see if you like it, it's available in steam and you can keep the SCS 389 as it does not replace it. I am glad you mentioned the rivets, the ones painted to match look so much better than the shiny ones I had been using and never noticed how much they cluttered the cab.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
I just downloaded that mod, and there are a couple things with it that don't seem right.  One is that I'm not finding any paint schemes like you have; all that is available are solid colors.  Also it's messing with my regular trucks - the first thing I noticed when I started driving my T680 was that its side lights were glowing a darker orange like that of the Viper 389, and also a faint whir from the engine at higher speeds that most certainly was not there before.  Not sure if you've had these problems but there is no way I am keeping this mod if it's going to screw with my regular trucks like this. >:(

Jon_G

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 08:17:37 PM »

Can't say I have noticed either issue in regard to the regular trucks, are you using an engine from the mod or one from the game itself? I definitely would remember the sound changing and for me the SCS trucks still sound the same, and I drive at pretty high speed so I would have heard the whir you mentioned.
As for the paint schemes, they are separate downloads, should be listed right next to the tractor mod itself.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 09:33:20 PM »
The truck I was driving was purchased before I downloaded the mod so that is not the issue, nor have I purchased or driven the modded truck.  However, it seems like some features from the mod are showing up on my regualar truck anyway; for instance the lights being the same color as the lights on the mod instead of their normal softer color.  The engine whir is audible at speeds above 30 mph BTW, and I kind of like it if not for the fact that I don't like how this mod changes things on the regular trucks.  I'm not sure if this is normal for this mod or what. 

Jon_G

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »

Hey, so I apologize as I did log on to the game and did notice that the marker and side lights on my aero trucks are glowing the same as those on the 389. I never noticed it before I guess. Most marker lights do glow that dark orange like the modded truck has, though the Kenworth T680 cab lights are lighter, which the regular SCS version shows. I believe this is because Kenworth is using white LED lights on the T680 though I am only speculating. I still don't notice the engine whirring though, so not sure what that would be attributed to.
For me, I've used the 389 mod almost since the beginning of playing the game, so I'm just used to the lighting. I turned the mod off and noticed the difference. For me, the darker orange lights have more of a presence and I like that, but if we agreed on everything, life would be boring! ;)
Anyway, glad you at least tried out the mod though :)

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
IMO from your pictures the dark orange lights look good on the mod truck itself; I just can't get used to them on the other trucks that's all.  I would keep the mod and turn it off when I'm driving the regular trucks; my only question then is what happens to any mod trucks you have in your fleet when you turn the mod off - obviously you won't be able to use the truck, but will the truck come back when you turn the mod back on or do you have to start over and buy a new one?  Also I wasn't able to find those paint schemes you were talking about; I only see stuff for the tractor mod.  Thanks, BTW!

Jon_G

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
Unfortunately, Viper has stopped working on the 389 mod for good this time, with the heavy haul update coming i plan to transition this fleet into a flatbed/specialized carrier and have G&G Trucking be van/tanker/refrigerated.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs