If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 50's 60's and 70's COE's  (Read 2261 times)

james j neiweem

50's 60's and 70's COE's
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:30:29 AM »
For all you old timers: How would you compare the 50-70's COE's as far as likes dislikes. Bullnose & K-100 KW, Peterbilt Bubblenose & 352, Freightliner bubblenose and W series/ IH High binders, DCO's and Transtars, Mack W, H, G, F and Cruiseliner. GM cannonball,Cracker box and  ASTRO, Ford H and W, Diamond t COE's, White 5000, 7000 and Road Commander. I can't imagine driving a bullnose KW without a seat belt. It would seem like you would be bouncing around in a large box.

Hank's Truck Forum

50's 60's and 70's COE's
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:30:29 AM »

tery

• Regular Membership
Re: 50's 60's and 70's COE's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
In the 50's & 60's the Cannonball & Cracker box Jimmys and Highbinders that I rode in with my father did not have much of any insulation and had a bare metal interior .
I drove Astros , IH Transtars & 9670's , Freightliners and KW's that were all much quieter and had finished padded interiors with AM/FM radios , A/C  and more horsepower . The Cabover days were the best days , I could always truck harder in a Cabover .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:21:49 PM by tery »
________ IH 9670 ________

funcruise

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
I used to love the old cab overs. I drove Freightliners, w model Fords, GM cracker boxes ( just two trips was enough) , and a lot more. Owned a F model Mack for a while. No power steering in most of them. Just big steering wheels. Spring suspension and brostram  seats. 250 to 335 horse power but only mostly 20 ton loads average. And no log books in Canada... We were young and full of pi** and vinegar ....The good old days....

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
Nope on power steering - you could tell a driver by looking at his arms ! - LOL
In the 70's I used to like the Internationals with "center point steering" it was a lot easier .
I always said that power steering made a good backer out of a poor backer .
________ IH 9670 ________

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:17:04 AM »
The first diesel truck I was permanently assigned was a 1965 IH DCO, had manly steering, a 220 Cummins and a 10 spd, back in 1974, I think.
 Had to wear sneakers to drive it, if I wore work boots I needed to open the door to use the clutch.
 Drove a couple Transtars, decent trucks, not enough room for a big guy.

Drove a F model Hayes a couple times, it was okay, no complaints.

Drive an Astro a couple times, kinda crappy, wouldn't own one, there's no reason for people to see you scratching your private parts while you drive.

Drove some 70's Freightliners, a couple with big power, like the look of them, but didn't enjoy driving them.
 The double cab locks, one on each side, made the cab really rigid to frame, cab had no room to rock like a KW with the single centre lock, added to roughness.

Drove a whole bunch of KW's, my favourite of the bunch, more room, better fit, could truck longer.
 I really liked the 60's cabs, only plastic in the truck was on the steering wheel, totally rebuildable, tight, solid, and a wide flat doghouse, level with the seat which made it easier to reach the passenger side if you dropped something, or had a girlfriend with you.
 Mind you the bunks were bigger in the 70's and the interiors more appealing, and the engines were bigger, vroom vroom!

I agree, those were the best days, no log books, more freedom and independence, the cops were like part of the crew, most drivers were civil, the food was better, people thought truckers were cool, and you could manhandle dispatchers if need be.
 (without being formally charged)
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
"I agree, those were the best days, no log books, more freedom and independence, the cops were like part of the crew, most driverswere civil, the food was better, people thought truckers were cool, and you could manhandle dispatchers if need be.
(without being formally charged)"

Agreed and couldn't be said better Willy!
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs