Author Topic: In The Market Again  (Read 1012 times)

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
In The Market Again
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »
So my trusty Canon A530 has gone & died on me  :( :'(.........almost 10years old and close to 200,000 pictures later :). It doesn't owe me a dime but now begins the search for a new point & shoot camera.

From the little research I did today at a Best Buy store the closest to my old camera would be either a Canon SX610 or Canon SX530...........between $225 & $250. Anyone have any ideas on these or others? ???

Ray F

Re: In The Market Again
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »
So my trusty Canon A530 has gone & died on me  :( :'(.........almost 10years old and close to 200,000 pictures later :). It doesn't owe me a dime but now begins the search for a new point & shoot camera.

From the little research I did today at a Best Buy store the closest to my old camera would be either a Canon SX610 or Canon SX530...........between $225 & $250. Anyone have any ideas on these or others? ???
I seen the Walmart near me has the SX-610 I Believe for $199.99 if I Remember Right.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 04:17:07 AM »
Personally, I will never darken the doors of Best Buy again.
That might be Best Buy Canada; maybe they are better in the States.

Brockway

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:29:16 AM »
Best Buy here in the states are no better. Poor service..poor "in stock" products.Their prices are not that low unless price matched. I would research camera's online and buy from there. As long as it's not "gray area" and has a US warranty you should be okay. My choice of camera would be a Canon. I have two with no issues. Carl

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »
Thanks guys. I have a Canon Rebel so yeah it'll probably be another Canon........just need a small point & shoot for times I really don't need to tote the big one along.

wbache

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
you wouldn't want to go to  their store but I have had good luck with B &H on  line--my old Canon point  and shoot cameras are lots better than a Nikon and Fuji I have--I mostly use a Canon SL-1 which I got by trading 52000 United Flyer miles that I had no use for. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:42:20 PM by wbache »

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »
So 9 months later & I wound up not buying anything. ;D 2 weeks ago however I did acquire a Canon A720 point & shoot that a neighbor was getting ready to donate because the video didn't work right. I never use video anyway so I convinced him to donate it to me. :) It's in good shape & works just fine........just a great replacement for the A520 which I loved. 8)

On the other hand a couple of days ago my Canon Rebel t3 started giving me problems. The weather here has been dreary & rainy.......when it's dark & dreary my shots are coming out very dark which hasn't happened before. :o When it's brighter they seem to be ok. ??? I'm hesitant to take a lot of pics with the Rebel so I've been backing them up with the A720 right now.

Could something internally have failed on the Rebel?  ??? Or any other issues I'm not savvy about? ???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:32:19 PM by charlie »

mooby346

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
Congrats on the "new" point and shoot Charlie, all I can recommend is to double check all your settings on the Rebel though. I took a day trip out to Winchester several months ago and literally all of my shots came out way underexposed because I had flicked a dial that threw off my white balance, and I wasn't aware of it until the day was over and I was reviewing pics. What mode are you using? I hope it's not anything serious.

charlie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »
I shoot just about everything at automatic setting but I plan to check all the settings when I get a free moment.

Ray F

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
It Must be a Canon Thing with to have problems with Auto Settings ::)  :-\ I'm having the same problem .. Sort of. My Camera (SX-410IS) is an Auto Settings only Camera, Which if i had known this back when i got it, i would have chose a different model  :-\

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
Charlie did you get your Rebel software updated to the current  downloads for the Rebel I had mine done early this year and it works great