If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: My go-to spot in Northern VA (Updated 7-8-18)  (Read 15286 times)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
My go-to spot in Northern VA (Updated 7-8-18)
« on: August 28, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »
I've mentioned this spot a couple times in the past, because I've been going here for 8 months now, but this is my go-to spot for through traffic in northern VA. This spot gets all of the action from trucks avoiding DC as well as a bunch of locals. The spot itself is a parking garage used by local businesses, I typically set up on the 4th floor to get a nice aerial view of trucks on the other side of the highway. I always wear a hi-vis vest at this spot because it saves so much trouble, there's a billion federal and police agencies in the area so I always try to be clear about my intentions. There are only a few negatives about this spot, one being you need to be there at a certain time or you will end up watching bumper to bumper traffic. Occasionally you get a truck in the on-ramp directly below you so the angle ends up weird, and a car getting in the way of a shot is a regular occurrence. But with the volume of rigs that come through here it is easily the best spot in northern VA to catch nice trucks. Anyways, I have 4 sets to post, and all 4 were taken on the same day back in mid-January. It's not uncommon to catch 200+ trucks in a half hour span depending on what time of day you are here. Anyways, here's the spot if you're interested in checking it out:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2960+Eisenhower+Ave,+Alexandria,+VA+22314/@38.8018792,-77.0860077,722m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7b1996d31ceb9:0x88ea1702c091a72a!8m2!3d38.801875!4d-77.083819

First two are a couple scene setters, first shot shows the inner loop local/through lanes (left side) and outer loop through/local lanes (right side). You can't see from this picture but way in the back is the Woodrow Wilson bridge which connects VA/MD. 2nd picture shows west side. One thing I like about this spot is the distance you can see, but trucks occasionally come up on you in a hurry.

First actual shot is a Peterbilt 386 for Torrissi. There is a ton of tankers that come through here to pick up fuel from depots in Alexandria and Newington.

#2 is a 379 for AMH Enterprises out of Bridgeville, DE:

#3 is another 379 for AMH right behind #2:

#4 is a Lonestar for Expro Transit out of Havelock, QC:

#5 is a VNL 630 for Laidlaw out of Woodstock, ON:

#6 is a local o/o 379 out of Woodbridge, VA:

#7 is an unknown 379:

#8 is a nice Peterbilt 567 for Digmasters, which serves the DC metro area:

#9 is a VNL 670 for Dietz & Watson out of Philadelphia:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:34:59 AM by partsman88 »

Hank's Truck Forum

My go-to spot in Northern VA (Updated 7-8-18)
« on: August 28, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: My go-to spot in Northern VA
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:12:47 PM »
You're just a bit after the bridge right? ??? I used to go to a car dealer on Richmond Highway which is the first exit after the bridge and not too far from your spot.

You're right about that being both a high volume road plus a traffic jam waiting to happen ;D...........outside of the LIE and I-95 in NY & CT I can't imagine people with worse commutes on the east coast. :( I pretty much avoid that area when heading south and take the more scenic (if slower) 301 down to Richmond. :)

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »
Set #2 starts with a group shot, on occasion you are forced to think fast as two groups of trucks bear down on you from both sides and you're not sure which group to pick. The Regency International is most likely from a small spot they have in Woodbridge but they also have another location in Richmond.

#2/#3 is a closeup of the Prime tanker with the tag axle and the Mack Granite which is owned by Stone Center of Manassas. They have a very nice fleet, and they also have locations in Fredericksburg and Richmond.

#4 is a bit of a junker, but I thought the ex-NAVL trailer was interesting. It looks like it was pulled out of retirement. The truck works for Apex Hd Inc. out of Reading, PA:

#5 is a T800 for Robert L. Carr out of Courtland, VA:

#6 is a Cascadia with the military themed paintjob for Cargo Transporters out of Claremont, NC:

#7 is a Peterbilt 348 for Strittmatter out of Manassas Park, VA:

#8 is a heavy haul W900 for Johnsons Excavating out of Gainesville, VA:

#9 is an o/o Mack working for Kenan Advantage out of North Canton, OH:

#10 is another group shot, the Prostar for Canada Dry is most likely headed to their facility in Springfield, VA. I recognize the Peterbilt dump truck as another Strittmatter, but I'm not sure who the Cascadia or the other truck work for.

#11 is a o/o T800 working for Battlefield Farms out of Rapidan, VA:

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
You're just a bit after the bridge right? ??? I used to go to a car dealer on Richmond Highway which is the first exit after the bridge and not too far from your spot.

You're right about that being both a high volume road plus a traffic jam waiting to happen ;D...........outside of the LIE and I-95 in NY & CT I can't imagine people with worse commutes on the east coast. :( I pretty much avoid that area when heading south and take the more scenic (if slower) 301 down to Richmond. :)

Haha yep, it's not far from the bridge. My ideal time for visiting this spot is between 10-2 pm on a weekday, typically it's wide open then. Anything after 2 is a gamble though, and on a Thurs/Fri it's not even a gamble, it's a certainty. I don't blame you for taking the 301 down, because there's a lot of spots around here that can be slow at any time in the day. It's funny that you mention the dealership because the ground through 3rd floors in this parking garage are all occupied by dealer cars, and I think they're from Ourisman Chevy, which is that dealer you mentioned.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
Set #3 starts off with a gorgeous 379 and its' nefarious accomplice known as the jersey wall.

#2 is a nice lime green T680 for Holcomb Trucking. Google says there are 2 companies with this name, and one is a team operator out of Montana that drives a Peterbilt. The other one is out of Fayetteville, NC and has less-than-stellar reviews.

#3 shows the downside of this spot, on occasion you will get trucks heading onto this on-ramp but since the garage is right up against it it makes a bad angle. This 387 works for Ghee Hauling out of Richmond, VA:

#4 is a nice 567 for Bates Trash Removal out of Bladensburg, MD. They service the DC metro area.

#5 is a nice 379 working for Recycle One out of Hyattsville, MD:

#6 through #9 show a trio of T800's owned by 495 Trucking, which is based out of Chantilly, VA. They have a semi-large fleet of mostly Macks and KW's, with the occasional Peterbilt thrown in.

#10 is a beautiful o/o 9900i with a car unfortunately in the way. This is a rig I have seen a couple times so I'm sure I have another better picture of him somewhere though.

#11 is a Cascadia with the new Giant logo hauling a trailer with the old Giant logo. I still prefer the old logo.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:01:26 PM by mooby346 »

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »

That Mack Granite in the frame with the Prime rig is really nice looking, sharp looking truck and nice to see one without the big floater tires on the front axle. This is a really cool spot!

Jon

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
Thanks Jon! I agree on that Stone Center Mack Granite, they have a very small fleet but all of their rigs are maintained very well.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
Set #4 starts with a 379 for Duffield Hauling out of King George, VA.

#2 is a T680 for the always-classy Carolina Tank Lines out of Burlington, NC:

#3 is a dual shot of an older FLD for Kenan Advantage zoomin' a Cascadia for Builder's FirstSource (thanks Ray)

#4 is a Cascadia for Ace Hardware out of Prince George, VA:

#5 is another group shot, unfortunately I couldn't get a clear shot of the sharp FL Classic in the back for Superior Carriers, and the Mack Granite in the front belongs to Arthur Construction Co. out of Dulles, VA:

#6 is a Mack toter for Nationwide Custom Homes, which services the entire east coast up to NY.

#7 is a Durastar for Paxton's Storage & Transfer, Office Moving Division. They have 4 locations, two of which I'm very familiar with (in Alexandria and Springfield) and the other two are in Richmond and Charlotte.

#8 is a nice 579 for Driggs out of Capitol Heights, MD. This might be an o/o:

#9 is a sharp FL Classic for PGT out of Monaca, PA:

#10 is a FL 114SD for Homestead Building Systems, and the truck is operated by RCS Trucking & Freight out of Bealeton, VA:

#11 is a super common sight, which is a JB Hunt DCS Prostar pulling for Target. Lately I've been seeing more Schneider rigs pulling for Target as well though.

And last but not least is a semi-common sight, this red T800 for American Moving & Storage out of Leesville, LA is a truck I have seen about 5 times in the last year, typically transferring loads to one of the moving agents in my area.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:21:33 PM by mooby346 »

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »
Haha yep, it's not far from the bridge. It's funny that you mention the dealership because the ground through 3rd floors in this parking garage are all occupied by dealer cars, and I think they're from Ourisman Chevy, which is that dealer you mentioned.
I remember one trip where the lot attendant had to drive me over to a parking garage & dropped me off by the car I was taking..........must be the same place.  ;D I'd never seen anything like that before but it makes sense in crowded areas. 8) Also in this area there's signs all over the place for car carriers not to unload in the street but to continue to what I assume is a general area where all the vehicles are unloaded.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 07:47:59 PM »
Nice Shooting Spot.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
Haha yep, it's not far from the bridge. It's funny that you mention the dealership because the ground through 3rd floors in this parking garage are all occupied by dealer cars, and I think they're from Ourisman Chevy, which is that dealer you mentioned.
I remember one trip where the lot attendant had to drive me over to a parking garage & dropped me off by the car I was taking..........must be the same place.  ;D I'd never seen anything like that before but it makes sense in crowded areas. 8) Also in this area there's signs all over the place for car carriers not to unload in the street but to continue to what I assume is a general area where all the vehicles are unloaded.

Haha that actually makes sense, the garage is probably like a 10-15 min drive from the dealership. You are definitely right on those no unloading signs, the dealer I used to work at also had those and signs instructing the drivers to pull in cab forward because if you back in there isn't enough room to unload without blocking all the access points. Still didn't stop drivers from backing in though, they weren't happy when management came out and told them to fix it otherwise customers wouldn't be able to reach our sister dealer next door. Some car carriers would still unload on the street if they couldn't get on the lot too. On local streets as crowded as these space is at a premium, and some drivers didn't want to wait for room to open up.

Nice Shooting Spot.

Thanks Rob! Plenty more where those came from.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:33 PM »
Bit of a bump, but I've been cleaning up my library and wanted to get back in on the action. Here's a few sets taken the day after I took the shots above, which was about a year ago this month.

#1 - Cascadia for National Van Lines out of Broadview, Ill

#2 - T600 for YCT Transport out of Sarasota, FL. SAFER says this company is out of action.

#3 - 379 for RGM Transport out of Myerstown, PA

#4 - SBFA Mack Pinnacle for Quality Carriers out of Tampa, FL

#5 - Lonestar for STI, which is a CRST company:

#6 - T660 for Melton Truck Lines out of Tulsa, OK

#7 - o/o Pinnacle expediter for Tri-State Expedited Service out of Toledo, OH

#8 - o/o FL called Alpha Auto Transport out of Lanham, MD. SAFER says he is out of service.

#9 - Cascadia for Airgas, which is now an Air Liquide company. Remains to be seen whether Airgas keeps their brand I guess.

#10 - T680 for Melton Truck Lines out of Tulsa, OK

#11 - 386 for Trinity Logistics Group,  which has 4 hubs in the US and is owned by Trinity Industries.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »
Set 2

#1 - unknown car carrier 389 hauling a load of VW's

#2 - 9900i for L.J. Rogers out of Mebane, NC

#3 - Volvo VT880 for Bizzmark Logistics Group of La Grange, IL

#4 - W900 for the always classy Honey Locust Farms out of East Berlin, PA

#5 - rare shot of older FDM for Estate Concrete out of Centreville, VA

#6 - big bunk W900 for LA Transport out of Union, NJ

#7 - VNL670 for Daybreak Express out of Newark, NJ

#8 - VNL670 for Active Moving out of Brooklyn, NY

#9 - beautiful Cascadia for J.E. Fortin out of St-Bernard de Lacolle, Quebec, zoomin' what appears to be a 378

#10 - old International that looks like it never got past the primer stage of painting.

#11 - Cascadia for Schneider out of Green Bay, WI, hauling a 40' tanker can

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Set 3

#1 - W900 for Payne Transportation out of Winnipeg, Manitoba

#2 - W900 for APN Trucking out of Griffin, GA

#3 - T680 with the albino pup setup for Estes out of Richmond, VA

#4 - sharp W900 for Premier Transportation out of Long Beach, CA

#5 - T800 for Fedex Freight

#6 - VNL630 for Perdue Transportation out of Salisbury, MD

#7 - colorful Mack Granite for an unknown carrier with an outdated USDOT #, I've seen it loading up at Vulcan's plant though

#8 - colorful W900 for an unknown carrier out of NY

#9 - hydro excavator Workstar for EQ Industrial Services out of Rahway, NJ; operated by Allstate Power Vac also out of Rahway, NJ

#10 - daycab 9900i for Arban & Carosi out of Woodbridge, VA

#11 - sharp 379 for CMB Logistics, an o/o outfit out of Cross, SC
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:32:18 PM by mooby346 »

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:51 PM »
Set 4

#1 - possible T370 for United Van Lines

#2 - single drive axle Cascadia for Old Dominion out of Bristow, VA

#3 - Cascadia for Western Express out of Nashville, TN

#4 - old big bunk 377 for United agent McCollister's out of Burlington, NJ

#5 - rare downside to this spot, besides cars getting in the way, is occasionally truck traffic gets so heavy that one sneaks up on you, as was the case with this sharp W900:

#6 - Mack "R" model for Estate Concrete out of Centreville, VA (I really hope this fleet never gets new trucks because they are one of the rare northern VA concrete companies still running non-Granite models)

#7 - 379 for JLB Trucking, not sure where he's out of but he looks like an o/o

#8 - 379 for P&L Transportation out of Wilmington, DE (thanks Ray)

#9 - 379 for Elite Service out of Denver, PA (thanks Charlie)

#10 - heavy haul 389 for an unknown company

#11 - and we finish out this series with a beautiful big bunk 379 for United agent Earle W. Noyes & Sons out of Portland, Maine with a car in the way (this happens a lot, naturally)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:20:15 PM by mooby346 »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:51 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs