If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: 2016 May Trip - highlights part 74 UT  (Read 1453 times)

tnsamiam

2016 May Trip - highlights part 74 UT
« on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
We start in Hyrum UT. Then head to Brigham City and catch I15 south towards Salt Lake City

Cascadia with dryvan for Miller Bros Express from Hyrum UT

Cascadia with reefer for Miller Bros Express from Hyrum UT

T680 for JBS Carriers from Greeley CO

Cascadia for Stokes Trucking from Collinston UT

T2000 for Lund Trucking from Chehalis WA

Cascadia with RMD for Swift

T680 for Garrison Transportation Services from Salt Lake City UT

Kenworth for Bulk Transportation from Walnut CA
Sammy from Tennessee

Hank's Truck Forum

2016 May Trip - highlights part 74 UT
« on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »

Jon_G

Re: 2016 May Trip - highlights part 74 UT
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:13:31 AM »

It's too bad Miller Bros. went to all white, they had a great looking fleet of black trucks with stainless reefers :'( The Garrison is nice however, as is the Stokes truck 8) Also, cool catch on the Swift RMD set, they don't seem to be running as many of those as they used to.

Jon

tnsamiam

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 10:35:38 AM »
I saw just as many black miller bros trucks as I did white unfortunately the only ones I got pictures of were the white ones
Sammy from Tennessee

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:27:28 PM »

Glad to hear it, I have seen black Cascadias in photos before and they look good.

Jon

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
Miller Bros still have both black and white Cascadias, yes, but compared to their all black all Pete all stainless fleet not all that many years ago, well....  :'( :'( :'(

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:50:05 PM »

Yes, very sad indeed :'( I still have the DCP replica of one of their 379's with a stainless reefer. They actually had some pretty nice looking 386's not too long ago, but by then had started to phase out the shiny reefers in favor of their white trailers. Still a well spec'd fleet overall, but nothing like it was. I almost wonder if they maybe changed ownership, or if perhaps they just decided to save cost.

Jon

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Well, I had to find out, so I asked Brandon, who lives in the Cache Valley (where Hyrum, UT is also), and has trucked there all his life, so knows what he is talking about, and he said this:
"It's still owned by the 3 Miller boys, Kris, Mark and Jim. Just all about the $$$ now. Kris pretty much runs the operation now and he never was much into the big flashy trucks he was more about the money. Mark and Jimmy were the two brothers that always bought the show shiny trucks."
 :-\

Jan.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:07:32 PM by norseman »
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
That's sad to hear. :(  It makes me wonder what many of these fleets that still do take pride in their fleets and run fancy rigs and whatnot will be like in a couple decades from now as they change ownership and are run by people of the younger generation, who with their different values and interests we could see more of these Kris types who could care less about trucks and only money. :-\

Jon_G

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »

I think there will always be a balance of the two. Looking back at old photos on the main website, there were always the plainer fleets and the fleets that valued image and stood out. To me, having a nice looking fleet makes me look good to the customer, because I care about my equipment (hypothetically), it would seem logical I would go the extra mile for them as well. There are actually a few fleets who have gone from being a bit on the boring side to getting some more nice looking equipment more recently, as resale value becomes more important with tractors.
Anyway, I hope and think there will always be those who want to run the fancier trucks, and those who don't.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:18:26 PM »
I hope you're right Jon, but there has been a frustrating trend lately toward plainer trucks.  And with what I said about the younger generation, surveys have shown that fewer of them have interest in cars than older people, and I would think the same would go for trucks.

Jon_G

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »
I definitely hope so too, makes the hobby more enjoyable 8) As for those surveys, I take most of them with a grain of salt. Car culture in folks of the younger generation is actually quite alive and well, it has just changed in many ways. There are several groups around my university who love cars and there is also a local cars and coffee every weekend, and I have seen people of all ages attending with their vehicles, very refreshing to see so many people my age still interested in cars. In fact, people my in my age group make up the majority of those who participate. Companies are finding the core of the issue is the lack of financial means of most college-age people to purchase a new car, as there are quite a few other expenses that take precedent. The average national tuition has tripled the US inflation rate :'( There are also a lot more people moving back into cities where owning a car doesn't make as much sense, financially and space wise.
Sorry for going off on a tangent, hope this does not come off as condescending as it is not meant that way, I am studying marketing, specifically that in the automotive field, so I just have a great interest for stuff like this :) 8)

Jon
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:09:40 AM by Jon_G »

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »