If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Confrontations  (Read 55994 times)

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
Re: Confrontations
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2016, 02:52:36 PM »
Had one happen back in Sept pass while taken photos at Morrisburg a OPP Officer stop my friend and was asking him what he was while i was out back taken photos of the  trucks that were parked on the way to go to Tim Hortons i notice my friend and officer there near the entrance as i got closer the office turned and ask me my name i told him and he proceed to ask me what i was doing were  was i from after explaining it to him he look at both of us as we watching the trucks roll by in both direction then out of no were he made a commet isn't that big one '' FLD Atlas drom'' then he smiled then he proceed to tell us he was going to inform the dispatch and other opp division in the area that we are only taken truck pictures and not doing any harm then bought us a coffee

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2016, 02:52:36 PM »

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
Mooby. Dont let them grind you down It is your hobby so keep taking more pictures.      Bob.

Thanks man. It is frustrating but I haven't gotten totally discouraged yet. For me the most frustrating part is how little time I have, I've been working 6 days a week since October. I still find time to grab pictures on my lunch breaks and occasionally after work but I never have time to clean them up and upload them here. I actually bought a safety vest and have been wearing it the last 4 times I was on the side of 395/495 during my lunch break and I feel it's helping, a ton of people still see me (unavoidable in this area LOL) yet they all have left me alone. Even had a couple cops cruise by slowly on the highway like they're scoping me out (both spots I just found are in parking garages) and yet nobody has interrupted me. I don't think I'm in the clear yet but if anybody is weird the safety vest will help my case.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
mooby - Lodge Members -

Agree! Don't let 'em grind you down. The safety vest surely part of a good plan. The vest creates perceptions by others.
That is, the vest wearer must be with Highway Dept, the Utility Companies and who knows what else.

Note your writer based in Northeast (Harford County, precisely) MD. Well aware of various sites between here and in to
DC and Northern VA. The 'party line' being such sites cannot be confirmed or denied. They may, or may not even exist...

..............................Vern.............................

wbache

« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »
I have had encounters with the law and others but with the exception of the Mall and other places that grant public access I do all my shots on public property which might not eliminate questionable interviews but it is established that with few exceptions such as military installations photography on public property is legal. there are no truck stops around here but I would not take pictures there except from a spot off site such as where vehicles enter and exit. In the present time where almost everyone has  or can have a camera in their phone it is understood that most prohibitions in public places are not effective. If you are a veteran it doesn't hurt to wear the appropriate baseball cap.

Mike Berka

• J B Hunt fan since 1992. Swift fan since 2005.
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2016, 01:37:55 AM »
Hi Vern, Walt, and others. I never really had any trouble, but a little more than a year ago, I was at a truck stop and I saw a Swift truck that caught my attention. The driver was in the truck, but I thought nothing of it. I wrote the trailer number down, and was taking a photo of the truck, when the driver popped out and asked me what I was doing. I told him that I like Swift, and I like taking photos of Swift trucks and trailers. He also told me that he saw me writing something down. I told him that I collect trailer numbers, and he told me that he didn't believe me. I showed him the number that I wrote down, and then I told him about the trailer. I also told him about the year that his tractor was built. When he saw that I was serious, and knew what I was talking about, things were better.

Do trucking companies send people out to spy on drivers? I wonder if this person thought that maybe I was watching him, and writing things down to report to the company? Last year in the spring, Mom, Dad, and myself were coming back from St. Louis, and we always stop off in Bloomington (Illinois) for lunch. The place where we stop, there's a small lot there, where some trucks are usually parked. There was a J B Hunt parked there, and it had a new at the time trailer, where I can tell by the number that I could use it for when it was built. I didn't see the driver in the truck, and I wanted to walk over there just to see the date, because the trailer was a Wabash National, where the plate would be a snap to read. I could just walk by and look and that's it.

I didn't walk over there though, because there was another truck parked right next to it, and there were two people in the truck. I was worried that if I walked over to the J B Hunt to take a look, and then turn around and head back to the car, I wonder if the people in the truck might have had a camera and tried to get the license plate off of the car, and then give the number to the J B Hunt driver and tell him that someone walked over to his truck and looked at something, and walked away. If that happened, I don't know how the J B Hunt driver would react, and if he would give that information to his boss, and then the next thing you know, someone from J B Hunt is calling Mom and Dad about someone looking at something on their truck and why were they doing that.

I don't know if that would happen, or if I'm nuts or paranoid, but you never know what someone will do, and you never know who is watching you. On You Tube, I see truck drivers at a truck stop parked with their camera rolling, and making fun of another driver and the company that they work for, who is having a hard time backing into a spot. I also see the same thing with a driver making fun of another driver who might have had an accident, or who got stuck, and has them on video. As for me personally though, most of my photos are of containers or trailers, where I don't have to worry about drivers too much.

I will admit though, that I like doing as much J B Hunt and Swift spotting on my bicycle as I can, or even on foot.  I have several locations within a 1-8 mile radius of my house, and I just feel safer riding to these places, as for if someone does see me, there's no license plate to record. I'm not sure if anything would happen, but you just never know who is watching. Also, does anyone here live close to places where they can bike? Does anyone sometimes have the same worries as me? Even if I go to a Home Depot or Costco to write down some trailer numbers or take a photo, I look around for employees or if someone is watching me. Again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, or maybe I worry too much, or maybe I'm paranoid.  Thank you, and this is an interesting topic.

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2016, 06:42:17 AM »
Something to consider - The driver may be hauling a high value cargo such as whiskey or cigarettes .
A driver always has to be aware of their surroundings . There are hijackers out there . Drivers also get mugged , robbed and even killed .
__________ In memory of drivers __________
 Red Ball , Georgia Fox , Yardbird , Diamond Doll

hwyhaulier

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2016, 02:38:42 PM »
Mike - tery - Lodge Members -

No one asked me, but... Looks like you have a healthy and cautious attitude, Mike, about your interests. The way
the business operates, your writer doubts any particular company has roaming "spies" out on the road, checking
on the fleet equipment. In the Bad, Old Days, some of the larger LTL Carrier group did have on the road, Safety
Supervisors checking around. Today's budgets being what they are, doubtful there is now much of the activity...

Remarks from tery do note his thinking about most "high value" cargo loads. Why it is wise not to talk about
what is on one's truck, and run it like a "secret operation". Thieves are everywhere. Best to restrain loose talk...

...............................Vern.......................

Paul Kane

• Regular Membership
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
I have to disagree Vern, I can't believe he'd walk up to an occupied truck, on private property none the less, and write down vehicle information and take pictures without even talking to the driver first.

hwyhaulier

« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »
Paul - Lodge Members -

Are you quite sure you meant to state "disagree"? Your writer has no issues with wandering onto
private property, provided one checks in and explains presence. Also, by now, most here must
appreciate one should not surprise a truck owner operator. Better to explain one's self up front.
Should that not work, then, give it up. Ain't worth the possible aggravation!

................................Vern..............................

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »
Far different world now, than 30-40 years back. It appears there's a short time-period in childhood, when it's well documented that learning another language or 2 is easy. After that, struggle hard or forget about it.

From present day observation, learning character & responsibility my well be the same way. You might have still been raised to appreciate those values, but the consensus hasn't, so few will give anybody they don't already know, the benefit of the doubt. And, the math on this one's on their side.

Also, most from the era of character & responsibility are now retired or passed on, so it's mostly total paranoid-city for those charged with keeping the area of their responsibility safe.

Back in late 70's, a model-railroad pal of mine was in LA for an insurance convention (which he left rather down-hearted at the seminars. Insurance companies wanted to milk cancer for profit rather than cure it, even to the point of being pissed at Salk for curing polio). On Saturday after picking my pal up, we headed down to Amtrak's coach yard by LA Union Station, parked my Pete, & began walking around, cameras obvious. We were soon hailed by an employee, & explained our presence (Amtrak had many of the beautiful CZ Budd cars there). All he wanted was, for us to sign-in, & check out hard-hats. Then he told us to have a nice day, bring the hard-hats back, & watch for vagrants in the yard.

Wanta try doing that now, in the present-day world? Yeah, right!
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Blue Mule74

• Regular Membership
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2016, 12:23:32 AM »
Far different world now, than 30-40 years back. It appears there's a short time-period in childhood, when it's well documented that learning another language or 2 is easy. After that, struggle hard or forget about it.

From present day observation, learning character & responsibility my well be the same way. You might have still been raised to appreciate those values, but the consensus hasn't, so few will give anybody they don't already know, the benefit of the doubt. And, the math on this one's on their side.

Also, most from the era of character & responsibility are now retired or passed on, so it's mostly total paranoid-city for those charged with keeping the area of their responsibility safe.

Back in late 70's, a model-railroad pal of mine was in LA for an insurance convention (which he left rather down-hearted at the seminars. Insurance companies wanted to milk cancer for profit rather than cure it, even to the point of being pissed at Salk for curing polio). On Saturday after picking my pal up, we headed down to Amtrak's coach yard by LA Union Station, parked my Pete, & began walking around, cameras obvious. We were soon hailed by an employee, & explained our presence (Amtrak had many of the beautiful CZ Budd cars there). All he wanted was, for us to sign-in, & check out hard-hats. Then he told us to have a nice day, bring the hard-hats back, & watch for vagrants in the yard.

Wanta try doing that now, in the present-day world? Yeah, right!

It's happened for me before, But, I live in Maine and go into Canada, where it's really calm over here, so, most times it isn't a big issue, But, there's been a few times, as far as the driver, If I see a driver I always ask for permission first, If I don't see a driver, I'll look around for one first and If I can't find one, I'll take a picture and than leave
Lance C.

Founder of Lance's Truck Picture's

RobG

« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »
While not a confrontation I had something happen to me for the first time ever.I thought it was kind of funny.While travelling through a small town in Alberta I see this very nice Peterbilt with a set of grain trailers parked.So I do a quick park and head over with my camera.Nobody around so I proceed to take a bunch of pictures.While I am doing this the owner comes up.No problem he is nice enough.I tell him I take pictures as a hobby and post them on a forum and Instagram.He tells me that it is ok that I keep the pictures but I can't post them anywhere.OK I say but why ?.He tells me that is how people steal work.He says his truck is very well known and if people know where he is they will steal his work.I felt like telling him he should visit Star Trek and borrow their cloaking device because if I can see him so can everyone else.I will respect his wishers and not post the pictures,which is a real shame because it is a nice truck.Afterward I am talking to a friend of mine that does the same type of work.He informs me the company this guy is pulling for is the worst for under cutting and stealing work.I guess that is the root of this guy's paranoia .

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:49 PM »
More like he doesn't want to be spotted where he shouldn't be!

Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:49 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs