If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: My truck photos  (Read 4900 times)

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
Re: My truck photos
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:33 AM »
Western Star Super-B on Highway 23 in AB.

(click image for a 1600 x 1069 pixels view)

Cattle truck kicking up dust on the Trans Canada Highway in BC.

5th wheel truck transport, somewhere Southbound on I-85 in NC.

- Got rubber?

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:33 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Jon_G

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »

Love the black and white photos, cool shot especially of the trucks in transit 8)

Jon

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
And a few random photos

I took this photo to show my brother the Wirtgen equipment in the US, he owns a road construction company and we've visited the Wirtgen factory in Germany a few times.

And that KW W900L cattle rig you got in TN is cool also.

Jon, I've found another photo of the Kenworth at the Pilot in Brazil, IN
(edit: It's Brazil, Indiana)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:25:27 PM by Erik Boattail »
- Got rubber?

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2017, 05:52:28 AM »
Love the black and white photos, cool shot especially of the trucks in transit 8)

Here's a colour shot of the Cascadia train
(I've posted that photo before but for some reason that post is no longer available..?)

- Got rubber?

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
Spotted in Boise, ID, this Peterbilt owned by Max R. Gould & son farming from Teton City in that state.

At the Flying J in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan:

- Got rubber?

Jon_G

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »

Cool catch on the Cascadia piggyback trucks. I have terrible luck getting good photos of trucks in transit, most of them get cut off with the exception of a few. I have heard that gig is pretty good, I don't remember where I read it, but supposedly some of the companies pays for you to fly out and pick up the trucks, as most are factory to dealerships, though I think sometimes they go to the fleets directly.
Interesting how we haul them here. In Europe, the major carriers (Dutch fleet De Rooy Transport is the only one that comes to mind) haul the trucks on specialized carrier trucks, rather than just driving the lead unit and stacking the rest like we do here in the States. I never understood why we don't use truck carriers here, driving the new truck puts a lot of miles on the lead truck, but who knows.

Jon

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
De Rooy (he used to drive modified DAF trucks in the Paris-Dakar rally) is the in-home transporter for the DAF truck factory in the city of Eindhoven.
Zandbergen is doing the same work for Scania and have special trucks (notice the rear of the cab) for truck transport.
On the journey to Sweden one truck transporter is loaded onto the other transporter to save fuel.

Photo is not mine:

- Got rubber?

Jon_G

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »

Ah cool, yeah I've noticed they have cab cutouts on the Scania's, I had never known what the name of the fleet was. I know a few people I follow on Flickr get photos of De Rooy trucks loaded with DAF's heading into the UK (presumably either to the Leyland facility or to dealers/customers). I've always wondered though why companies in the US don't do it this way. Sure, it's an upfront cost on equipment, but over time it uses less fuel, doesn't waste miles on trucks that are going to customers, and from what I have seen in photos like this, they can deck 3 or more tractors this way, which is the same with a piggy back setup, just remove the air fairings over the roof.

Swift Transportation used to have a flatbed account out near their HQ in Phoenix, AZ, where they hauled sheetrock or gypsum or something like that, and used three truck teams. 1 Freightliner Columbia single axle with the shorter Condo sleeper, hauling double flatbed trailers, and 2 Freightliner Argosy with flatbed bodies that each had 1 pup trailer in tow. They would stack all three trucks down to their pick-up point, with the drivers all sharing the cab on the way down, and driving separate with their loads back. Would save fuel and miles on the odometer as well. I don't think they still have that account however.

But, and maybe it's just the regional differences here in the US, it seems that the piggyback method of transporting trucks is a very un-economical compared to Europe.

Jon

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2017, 05:37:03 PM »
Jon

In the US I believe most of the driveaway companies only provide drivers so there's no upfront cost for a truck plus insurance, fuel,etc. Not sure if all companies work this way or not but several I know of expect the driver to find his own way home at his own expense. Not a lot of investment for the company and that's probably why we do it the way we do here.

Also I'd think the towing vehicle (lead tractor) is sold at some discount to either the dealer or fleet owner to account for the intransit miles & wear and tear.

Mackinac359

• Red Oval obsessed for over 35 years!
    • Tims Trucks - The Obsession
« Reply #159 on: Yesterday at 04:13:11 AM »
Active-USA arranges the transportation back for drivers, at least for the Peterbilt and KW deliveries.

Jon

In the US I believe most of the driveaway companies only provide drivers so there's no upfront cost for a truck plus insurance, fuel,etc. Not sure if all companies work this way or not but several I know of expect the driver to find his own way home at his own expense. Not a lot of investment for the company and that's probably why we do it the way we do here.

Also I'd think the towing vehicle (lead tractor) is sold at some discount to either the dealer or fleet owner to account for the intransit miles & wear and tear.

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #160 on: Yesterday at 04:34:14 AM »
The drivers from these new trucks stopped in Claresholm on a regular base, they always stayed at the same motel I was living in when I was at the yard.
They told me that a flight back home was organised and payed for by the company they work for.

Sometimes when they ended up close to Vancouver, they were retuning rental RV's from Cruise Canada to the other side of the country before flying back home.

"C-Town going doggy-style"  8)

Every now and then these truck transporters are stopping to spend the night in the local motel (The Lazy J) in Claresholm, AB, home base for Watt & Stewart.

- Got rubber?

wpmover

• Regular Membership
« Reply #161 on: Yesterday at 09:44:57 AM »
1961 Mack B61 Thermodyne with a diesel engine, parked on a farm close to Waterton, AB:

And another single axle black Mack in the same area, I came across this one in Lethbridge, AB:

I put a ton of miles on that cabover when it was owned by McLean Moving in Lethbridge!!

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 10:50:06 AM »
  I put a ton of miles on that cabover when it was owned by McLean Moving in Lethbridge!!

It's a small world!

Any idea what happened to the truck?
The photo is from 2011.
- Got rubber?

Erik Boattail

• Regular Membership
  • The Never-Netherlands
« Reply #163 on: Today at 02:57:48 AM »
At the flying J in Nanton, AB:
Truck #003 on Highway 2, Northbound to the mines in BC

Wow, lifting axles on a trailer in North America:

- Got rubber?

Hanky

« Reply #164 on: Today at 11:11:20 AM »
Seeing lots of lifting axles here in BC now lots of chip trailers with them, also lumber haulers that come to our saw mill.  Loggers are all cut to length short logs here and have B trains and lead trailers all lift 1 or 2 

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #164 on: Today at 11:11:20 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs