If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: ATS Paint Scheme Ideas  (Read 5217 times)

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
ATS Paint Scheme Ideas
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »
Well, since one can have a lot of fun with the virtually endless paint combos in American Truck Simulator, but can only put a few of those on the road in the game, I figured I should make a thread to showcase my paint scheme ideas which I created using a feature in the game that lets you customize a truck without actually buying one.

I will use this thread to show what I've come up with using that feature, however, if anyone else wants to add some of their own, there's no pressure to do so but I would love to see them here.  For the sake of easy reference I will number each picture, and if someone else wants to add pictures, I think the best way to avoid confusion would be to pick up where I left off as far as numbering goes instead of starting back over at 1.

The way I see it, this is simply a fun tool for playing around with various color combo ideas for trucks.  While I try not to do anything too outlandish or distasteful, the trucks I post here do not necessarily reflect my personal tastes, but rather is for the purpose of experimentation.  They also do not preview future trucks in my fleet, although it is possible that I may take ideas from or copy directly from one if I really like the way it turns out.  If anyone else likes an idea of mine and wants to implement it into their own fleet, feel free to do so.  Also, because the point of this is paint schemes, I have not bothered with customizing the trucks in other ways such as extra chrome or anything like that (the chrome looks rather gray instead of shiny when in the garage anyway).

Now that my spiel is over, I'll get to posting some of the paint schemes I have created, and I do have more to post besides what is seen in this post.  Starting with #1:

#5.  While a lot of these paint schemes I make up myself, sometimes I do take inspiration from stuff I've seen in real life, and this is one of those cases.  About a month ago when I was out truckspotting, this Peterbilt pulled off of the nearby interstate and stopped at the truck stop that was right by me.  However, when it left the truck stop it went back to the interstate and not past my spot, which was disappointing because it looked like show-truck material, and the sort of thing that I would only see maybe once or twice per year while truckspotting, and I spend a decent amount of time doing so too.  Anyway, I had to at least get this terrible shot, and decided to base this paint scheme off of the one I saw in real life, although I suppose the main color should have been a little lighter:

#8.  Just a subtle orange stripe against dark blue, and I really like how this one turned out. 8)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:16:52 PM by Iowa80 »

Hank's Truck Forum

ATS Paint Scheme Ideas
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »

Jon_G

Re: ATS Paint Scheme Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »

Awesome! Especially like #7, reminds me a lot of Brown Line LLC from Washington. If you don't mind, I might use that on a T680 for my company.

Jon

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
Great idea Iowa, although I am not sure how to make your own paint jobs I like the concept. I'm really digging #2, #7, and #8 in your pics, #8 especially. Just one thin line can make a huge difference.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
Thanks, guys!  One of the reasons I made this thread was to toss around some ideas for possible paint combos in ATS, so Jon (or anyone else) if you want to copy any of these go right ahead.

Mooby, how you can make these paint jobs is on your home page where you can see the truck you're currently driving in a garage, there are buttons along the bottom for things such as finding a load, world map, game options, etc.  One of these is called "about," and when you go there you will find a button called "truck browser" in which you can experiment with the various truck configurations available in the game without actually having to buy one, and this includes the paint job.  Once you've customized your truck to your liking, you can go to full screen, where there is a button to take a screenshot of the truck.

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »

Thanks! I'll have to try out some paint schemes and add them here soon.

Jon

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »

Alright, here are a few attempts at different color schemes. I will keep the numbers going as you suggested.

#9 uses the factory Seminole color code

#10 is made to look like the 579 limited Anniversary Edition

#12 is made to look like Wisconsin Built's private fleet tractors

#13 is another Seminole paint scheme

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »
Nice! 8)  Even though I really enjoy making my own color schemes, IMO it's cool to see what others can come up with as well, and I think you did a good job.  Here, all of them look nice, but my favorites are #12, but especially #14 - that one looks absolutely gorgeous. 8)  BTW, thanks for using my numbering method as I think it would make things so much easier for referencing trucks that are in separate posts.

I suppose I'll post a some more of my own now.  At this point I've got a slight backlog of pictures, but once I'm through that in another post or two I hope to still post here, but not as frequently so that I don't have to worry about running out of ideas too soon.

#17.  The W900 comes with a paint option called "Rainbow," which is what this is.  It's one that I think is more difficult than most other paint schemes to make look good, and this is my first attempt at it which I don't think turned out very well:

#20.  I had another go at the Rainbow color scheme, and IMO this one turned out better, with a cool Southwestern look to it:

Jon_G

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »

Nice! I think #20 looks cool, has an old school look to it, almost like a Peterbilt paint scheme of some sort.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »
Thanks, #20 was one of my favorites as well, and while I don't see what makes it look Peterbilt, I like the way the colors worked out in it.

Another thing I recently though of as sort of a fun way to bring some of these paint scheme ideas into my own fleet, is to occasionally have one of my trucks be a completely random paint scheme from this thread instead of trying to pick a favorite out of all of these.  How I would do that would be to generate a random number using www.random.org, and then take the truck model and paint scheme from the corresponding number, and replicate it as best as I can for my own fleet unless it is one of the few in here I don't like (don't worry Jon, what I have in mind when I say that is some of my older designs from when I was still getting used to the truck configurator; not any of yours), and then I would either modify that one or choose something different.  I would still make other changes such as chrome bits and sleeper type.  Anyway, I just thought it would be fun to have a few of my trucks be random like that.

Since I've already been rambling here, I might as well add some more of my own paint schemes:

#27.  This paint scheme format is called Metallic One on the game, and the black part cannot be changed, but the top part is a metallic color and can be modified; it originally came in yellow.

#29.  This was actually supposed to be flames, but somehow I managed to make it look almost like waves instead, but with that said I actually like the way it turned out.

Jon_G

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »

Sounds interesting, please feel free to use whatever schemes you want, I don't mind at all. As for the #20 truck, without the green swirls, it reminds me of a vintage Peterbilt paint scheme, not exactly the same but can still see a resemblance. However, I could not find a single reference photo of it so unfortunately can't show what I mean.

Jon

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 03:10:42 AM »
OHHHHH ................. # 13 is the one for me ....I just cant get past it  .... that is my style all over  8) 8)

Jon_G

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »

Thanks, glad you liked it!

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »

#35.  It has a similar theme to Jon's #14, however I created this one before #14 was posted here, and therefore did not take inspiration from #14.  IMO this one isn't bad, but I actually like #14 better.

Jon_G

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »

Like them all, but #32 is just awesome 8)

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
Thank you, #32 was one of my favorites of that series as well. 8)

I suppose I'll post some more of mine now.  Remember, if anyone else wants to share some of their ideas here, I would definitely be interested to see what people besides myself can come up with, but of course whether you do or not is up to you - there's no pressure to do so.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs