If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Coronado  (Read 2012 times)

COE-Trucker

• Regular Membership
    • My photo bucket
Coronado
« on: April 28, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »
What sometimes happens when you visit Truck Wash...

Today at 9am my boss  called me on the phone and told me that i must got thru Truck Wash today and let they wash and clean the whole truck inside and outside because tommorrow i need come to our yard and leave the truck there...

First i was thinking that i'm fired but after a few minutes he told me "no, don't worry, your new rig is here". At 3pm i was at truck wash and enter lane 3. 2 hours later the guy opens the door to exit out of the lane and what do my eyes see first? A "europeanized" Freightliner Coronado on the other side of the truck stop. So i took my cell phone and go there to make a picture...

...even in this moment the driver comes out of the shop and calls to me "5 bucks please"  ;)

We talked 10 minutes about its rare truck and how it is to drive a long nose in germany. He told me that he will be retired in the end off the year and the truck maybe with him too because there is no one in his company that is able to drive the truck. This beauty has an 500HP Detroit Diesel (DD15???) and a 18speed Eaton Fuller. The truck is straight imported from U.S. and is modified to german law and has an converter from 12 to 24V (all european trucks operate at 24V) for trailer systems...

EDIT:

Got some false informations first time, there is no Detroit inside. It is a Cat C15! Without DEF but with attached particle filtre. Built in 2008, see pic below

And now some questions:
Which Eaton is the best you think, is 18speed a good choice?
How can you sit on this "garden chair" the whole day long ;)

Okay maybe my sight is a little different about the seats, all trucks i drove over the years had air suspended seats which (i think) will be more comfortable than the one i have seen inside this Freightliner...

And here it is:

The orange sign is for dangerous goods, upper line category of danger, second line UN-code of transported good, the "A" means "require labeling waste transport" (i hope google has translated right)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:16:49 PM by COE-Trucker »

Hank's Truck Forum

Coronado
« on: April 28, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
Re: Coronado
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »
That's very interesting to see a Western truck on European roads. Since I never driven on European roads, I got no real tips for you but to really learn about the truck's turning radius. Some turns like a whale so be sure to take enough space when making turns.

I'm a bit jealous that you get to drive this awesome looking truck. Man, when will my boss ever give me a great looking truck to drive?  ::)

Spec wise, you need to look under the hood.

18 Speed would always be one of the best. But with so many gears, you might never need to use any one of them except for high-high 8th gear. Unless you haul a lot of heavy loads on really steep roads then that's a different story.

COE-Trucker

• Regular Membership
    • My photo bucket
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »
I'm a bit jealous that you get to drive this awesome looking truck. Man, when will my boss ever give me a great looking truck to drive?  ::)

Oh, it is not mine, i got a dutch cabover (thats why COE-Trucker) from DAF, a PACCAR company.

18 Speed would always be one of the best. But with so many gears, you might never need to use any one of them except for high-high 8th gear. Unless you haul a lot of heavy loads on really steep roads then that's a different story.

He drives only full weight (88'000 lbs) or empty all over germany and we got some steep roads too here, up to 15%, but on motorways max 8%  ;)

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
Well then, I have reading comprehension problems. I guess I skimmed way too fast while reading.

Nice catch though!  8)

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »
There is a couple possibilities here. That is the old style Coronado hood. Which means it is either pre-2011 or if it is new it could be a glider as they use that old style hood with the round headlights still on the gliders. And the side running boards.

So if it's a 500 Detroit could be a couple possibilities here:

If it is an older model or a glider it could be a Series 60 Detroit. Which I think is the case because it doesn't have the One-Box DPF/SCR box under the passenger side of the cab. And I think I see some black on the tips of the stacks?

I don't believe they came with the DD15/DD16 until the new hood and headlights went into production.
Ours is a 2012 but built in 2011 and it has the new hood.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what kind of specs would they have to change on it if it was a DD15/16 with all of the differences in emissions? The Australian Coronado has the DD15 available, as does the Argosy, which is why it has the giant grille now, though I don't know if they are putting DD15's in the Argosy glider kits sold in the states, or if those are Series 60's. Supposedly, Australia is using similar emissions requirements to the US, but I don't know how close Euro 6 is to either of those.

Jon

COE-Trucker

• Regular Membership
    • My photo bucket
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »
Updated yesterday, see first post ;)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs