If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Southwind Logistics (Updated 11-17-2018)  (Read 8619 times)

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
Southwind Logistics (Updated 11-17-2018)
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
Well, I suppose it's about time I start posting some pictures of my fleet in American Truck Simulator.  If anyone is wondering, the reason for the name goes like this:  I personally prefer the way actual names sound rather than some combination of letters, such as "ABC Trucking" or "A & A Trucking."  I also did not want to take something from a real-life company that I've already heard of, or use a name of my family.  However, it would be quite hard for me to fully make up my own name, so I had to pull something from somewhere, and after tossing a couple of ideas around, I settled on Southwind Logistics as a name that sounds nice, yet is generic enough not to embarrass myself or anything like that.

Some other info about my company before I get to the pictures - it is based out of Bakersfield, California.  While that is the default base in the game, I was actually planning on having Bakersfield be my base anyway, so that worked out well. 8)  I currently have only two trucks, and because I'm currently paying $7,011 per day in loans to pay off the trucks and a garage upgrade, I'm still making money but not enough for another truck anytime soon, so I probably won't be updating this thread for awhile.  I am not using any mods, so everything seen here comes automatically with the game.  Also, if others want to run their fleet differently than me and do something that I personally don't prefer, that's just fine with me, and I don't have anything against doing so.

Now to the trucks.  For #1, I started off simple with a Kenworth T680 daycab, painted in the Sky Blue paint option, color-matching mirrors and sideskirts, and a Paccar MX-13 engine, but other than that, a pretty basic truck which cost about $127K.  Most of the other trucks in my fleet will not be this basic.  However, I think it looks right at home pulling a Walbert grocery store trailer:

And here it is pulling a Walbert pup:

One of the things I really love about this game is how much you can customize your trucks, especially with the color schemes - not only can you create your own color, but there are also cool multi-tone designs, stripes, flames, etc. where you can personally create the colors on it as well.  There are also come really cool designs that are actually depicting an image (I especially like the Sunset paint scheme available on the W900 8)).

So, for #2 I used the Divided paint option, and since I love blue, I went for this two-tone blue paint scheme, and went for chrome wheels and dual stacks to make it look quite a bit less basic than #1.  My dad claims the baby blue color makes the truck look feminine, :-[ and while I never thought of it that way before, I can sort of see why, although I suppose it could still be worse.  Still, I personally like the contrast between the light and dark blue.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:10:41 AM by Iowa80 »

Hank's Truck Forum

Southwind Logistics (Updated 11-17-2018)
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »

Jon_G

Re: Southwind Logistics
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »

Nice photos! Personally I like the name, has a cool, very Western sound to it. I wish SCS would develop double pup trailers for the game, the T680 daycab would look really cool with a set of doubles 8) Also, I really like the color scheme you did with the midroof. IMO with trucks, a lot of the lighter colors, even purples and pinks and lighter blues look really good. Keep us updated on your progress, looks like you are off to a good start! Once you have a couple of drivers earning revenue for you, the money comes in much quicker!

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
Thank you!  As for the color, I agree that I personally like the way the midroof turned out, and now that I think about it more, there are a couple real-life fleets out there (such as Gordon Trucking or Chizek) that use a similar color.  Also, I forgot to add a couple bits of information on the midroof - it uses the Paccar MX-13 and its price was somewhere around $167K. 

I also did hire a driver for #1 right after I purchased #2.  What I do is I always drive the newest truck in my fleet, and when I'm ready to buy a new truck I hire a driver for the old truck and then I drive the new one, that way I can know for sure that I've driven all of my trucks.  However, once my fleet gets larger I'll probably want to drive one of the old ones once in a while to mix things up a bit.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to add is that my fleet will be primarily aero for the sake of having the traditional ones being a little more of a novelty.  I must say I'm definitely looking forward to the 389 being added in an update once SCS gets the licensing for it. 8)

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »

I also like to drive different trucks in the fleet, keeps things interesting! There is a really good mod out of the 389 right now, and allows you to do a lot of different customizations. A lot of people don't love mods due to the hassle of downloading, especially from all the websites ridden with ads and popups and all that. However, if you have the game through steam (and you can create a profile and switch the game over to steam if not), there is a Mod download center that allows you to add them to the game while in the game, eliminating the risk from the websites and making it substantially easier! Otherwise, I think when they release the Arizona DLC there will be a 389 included, as well as a Mack RD it looked like on their blog page.

Jon

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 04:23:46 PM »
The problem with mods, at least with the version I play, is that it's not compatible for certain multiplayer servers.

I do agree that there should be some pup trailers. However, backing up with those will prove to be a huge problem as if a single trailer isn't difficult enough.

It might be just me, on ETS2, I prefer sticking with my only FH16 750HP :)

As for the fleet, get the cheapest IVECO and remove all the accessories. That's what my employees get for being company drivers ;)

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
Well, as I said earlier, to each their own as far as how they choose to play the game; obviously everybody has their own preferences, and if one wants to use mods or have all the trucks in their fleet be the cheap and boring kind, that's just fine as it's your game.  For me personally, I love making all the trucks in my fleet unique, and even if the fleet consists of mostly two kinds of truck, IMO the countless ways of customizung them makes up for that.  Anyway, I'm thinking of maybe 1 in 8 trucks or so being square hoods, although I will not be counting to make that number exact; the 1 in 8 is just a rough estimate.  Also, I'm the type of person that likes things to look nice, so while the decked out trucks are more expensive, I want to take pride in my virtual fleet and am willing to make that tradeoff in order to do so, but again, if someone wants to do things differently than me, I will not that against them.

As for the 389, I'm just going to wait for the update to come out because the way I see it is why use a mod when you can get the real deal?  That said, if someone else wants to use the mod I have no problem with that.

BTW, I think the Mack RD will be just another AI vehicle like all the other cars and not something you can drive.  I know they will be adding other types of AI vehicles such as a combine, and also I've been seeing Ram 2500s on the road since a minor update yesterday; they had not been there previously.   

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »
Right on. Keep on updating us. :)

Jon_G

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:01 AM »

Absolutely, keep us updated! Also, hope I was not coming off as pushy with the mods, and apologies if I did. I really like this section as it is IMO cool to see how others approach the game in different ways 8) I think you are right about the RD being an AI sadly, though I did read an interview with SCS recently and they are planning on doing some straight trucks to drive down the road. I also saw there is a new DLC (it is $2.99) which allows you to buy new wheels (chrome, painted, etc.), which is great as the new wheel customizations update briefly took away the shiny alcoa wheels. There was a photo on the Steam store of a Volvo VNL630 with the new wheel options, so I'm hoping we get the Volvo soon too. Might have to add some of those to my fleet as well if I make enough revenue.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »
No worries about being pushy about the mods; while I can see how one could interpret it that way, you were just letting me know what's out there, which is fine, but I simply prefer to play the game the vanilla way.  Also, the SCS interview sounds interesting - do you remember where you found it?

Jon_G

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »

Ok just wanted to make sure. As I said, I really think it's cool to see the different approaches to playing the game and am glad to see yourself and other members on here sharing your fleets 8) The SCS interview was on a trucksim reddit page, here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/trucksim/comments/4akljj/interview_with_scs_about_ats_ets2_and_more_czech/

Jon

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »
Great shots Iowa, definitely keep us updated! I like how you are sticking with original trucks in game, it sounds tough for me because I'm lucky if I can find the time to play once a week. Personally I have a fleet of 8 trucks already, with 5 in LA and 3 in LV, but they are all modded 389's because I can't afford the trucks that come in game. I spend around 70k on each, because I like to put a decent engine/trans in it and then they don't get any extras visual wise. I'd probably pimp them out more if the game was like the trucking games of old where you could pass your driver on the highway, I really wish they'd bring that feature back because I loved seeing my trucks on the highway.

Jon_G

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:30:10 PM »

I agree, the old games were cool, it was awesome to see your trucks out there working. I also remember that in 18 wheels of steel you could own your own trailers, that would be a neat feature to bring back, as well as proper doubles.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks, mooby!  I also agree, as awesome as this game is, I think it would be cool to see my own trucks on the road, and didn't know other games even had that feature.

Anyway, I've expanded the fleet a little bit lately and will share the updates now.  Before I get to the new trucks, I want to show #2 once more, because of the trailer that it's pulling.  The white, skirted 3000R reefer trailer is one of my favorite trailers in the game.  While I don't like totally white trucks, a white trailer is fine, and while ones in a livery look nice too, I like the white one because just about anything will look good pulling it, and that design of reefer has a nice western look to it, which to me is a good thing. 8)

For truck #3, a Peterbilt 579 daycab, I went for a more conservative look, with just a solid dark green color which I made up; it was not one of the preset colors.  I did add a chrome bumper, mirrors, and visor, plus some nicer wheels so that it could still look nice, but other than that it's pretty bare bones beneath the skin.  It has only a 370-hp Cummins ISX12 and a 10-speed Eaton-Fuller transmission, so this truck is best for hauling light loads; otherwise it will take forever to get up to even 55 mph.  It only cost $127K.

#4, while also another daycab (this time a T680, and daycabs are good for initially starting a fleet as they are pretty cheap compared to the sleepers, however I do plan to do a lot more sleepers in the future), is a lot more decked out.  I went with a metallic red-orange paint job, a bull bar, chrome mirrors, and 7 lights on top of the cab (it initially comes with none), better wheels, the best tires, the 2nd-best interior, plus a 500-hp PACCAR MX-13 with an 18-speed transmission under the hood.  Therefore, at $161K it was quite a bit  pricier, but IMO worth it.

The red works well when pulling a Bushnell Farms trailer:

One more thing unrelated to my fleet.  I have been playing around with color combos on trucks occasionally and saving screenshots of them using a tool in the game that allows you to do so without having to actually buy the truck.  I do it for the sake of fun and experimentation, but I figured I would ask if anyone would be interested in me posting them in another thread to share some of the interesting combos that can be done.  If not, that's just fine, but I figured I might as well ask.

Jon_G

Re: Southwind Logistics (Updated 4-29-2016)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

Very nice! Really like the way the orange looks pulling the matching Bushnell trailer 8) Absolutely would like to see paint schemes you come up with, may actually add some myself if you don't mind.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »
Thanks!  I will make a separate thread just for paint scheme ideas, and if you or anyone else wants to add some of your own, please do so - I would love to see them!

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs