If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Back To Bellies  (Read 5962 times)

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
Back To Bellies
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »
Well, I had a fun winter pulling the reefer, I'll probably miss it before next winter gets here. I just did one round to Denver this week and they decided to cut me loose early, which was fine. My truck is now hooked to a set of steel bellies so I can spread on a jobsite Monday. I hooked up my Bealls and checked them out too, they're pretty much ready to go. Hopefully I can get some good paying work this year with the bellies and enjoy being local for awhile!
Cass and I both loaded beer in Denver to come home.

These bellies were seen on I-80 in Wyoming, they almost look home made.
Class...you either have it, or you don't.

Hank's Truck Forum

Back To Bellies
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »

Jon_G

Re: Back To Bellies
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »

Hope the year goes well for you Ryan! And yes, those doubles do look unusual. Almost have a European or Australian look with the individual rear fenders.

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
Pretty much worked half a day on Monday spreading on that roadbase job, took Tuesday off for my anniversary, rotomilled in Ogden Wednesday, and hooked to my Bealls to haul rock to Smithfield batch plant Thursday and Friday. Good to be back! Got a full service on the truck and trailers and they set the overhead on my motor now that it's broke in. Not sure what next week will bring. We were supposed to get crazy busy, but now it is supposed to rain a lot next week, so I'm not sure.
My nasty steel trailers.

Cutting the road right down to dirt.

Cass dumping tailings.

On the new road into the Brigham pit.

Some trucks.

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:24:48 AM »

Neat catch on that custom W900! And your truck looks really good also 8) Hope I'm not putting you on the spot here, but I was wondering what your thoughts on the super singles vs. duals are pulling these kind of doubles sets. Seems a lot of fleets, more so tank fleets, but also bulk haulers, are running them these days.

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »
Thanks!

Hard to say so far. The super side is cheaper to buy than a set of doubles, but can't haul quite as many tons. Most side dump jobs are bid hourly, but less tonnage means cheaper truck rate usually. The lift axles are just something else to break and I'm curious to see how the bed and rams will hold up to the added weight and length over each trailer in a set of doubles. I'm also not sure what we can gross with it...most guys pulling them have a lift axle on the tractor as well, but we don't and the first super sides in our area had the front lift axle up behind the landing gear, but they've moved it back by the other axles because trucks were getting high-centered and/or ripping them off on rough jobsites, so the new placement will probably affect the bridge formula. Gonna have to let you know what happens later, haha.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
Had a slow week due to rain...Smithfield Monday and Tuesday, hauled to Excel in Syracuse Wednesday, sat at home Thursday, and hauled two loads to Ogden on Friday, haha. When I got done early Friday, one of the flatbed drivers called me and asked if I'd do him a favor and load a load of pipe at Contech in Ogden for him and bring it back to the yard, so I got to take our big, fancy W9 and a 53' step out for a ride. Supposed to be dry this week, so should be able to hit it hard from here out!

Jon_G

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, and neat pic of the W900 as well! Also, sorry I missed you at MATS, hope you can make it up in '17. Hope I at least provided some decent photos for ya! :)

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:40:30 PM »
Yes, I've enjoyed looking at your pictures from the show, I always regret missing that one.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 05:42:50 PM »
Here's a friend of mine that drives a transport for Whitaker Construction.

This is what happens when you rear-end a set of bellies loaded at 129,000 pounds going fifteen miles an hour up a six percent grade.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
Dang, Hope that van driver escaped relatively unscathed, looks like fire
was involved/
People just do not get closing speeds on heavy vehicles and hills.

Distracted driving.........likely also......

Keep on Truckin' Ryan, have fun.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:56 PM »
He lived, that's all I heard though. I've always worried about that happening to me when I'm hauling over Sardine to Smithfield or Logan...this wasn't the first time it's happened there.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
Well, they're widening I-15 here in Box Elder County. That involves a lot of work in the median to get ready for the extra lane and it's a mess! We've had a lot of rain over the last month and they just keep working right through it. I've never spread road base in a lake before this job. The other new experience is making u-turns in the median. I've worked a lot of freeway jobs before and usually, they just have enough openings in the construction enclosure that you can dive off the road, dump, and dive back on in the same direction. This time, they want us to turn around down between the edges of the existing pavement with doubles. The first two days we did it, it was tight, especially for me and Cass in the sleeper trucks, but we did it. I needed steel trailers with spread pins for the road base, so I was yanking a brand new set, so was Cass because he was given a new set...we both TOUCHED the tongues of our pups turning around (no damage, just scraped the paint a bit) because we had such long tractors we need to three-point the turn. However, the third day, they were making us turn around BEFORE we dumped because of where they wanted the material, so it was really hard on rubber, rocker boxes, springs, and my nerves pulling brand new trailers behind me! I called the shop and explained the situation and was told to just keep going and be careful. Well, half way through the day, Cass got his front axle on the main so buried in the dirt turning it around loaded that he got stuck. They couldn't pull him forward because it would bend his tongue, so they had to get an excavator and chain and pick up his pup, dump it, swing it over the pile, and pull him out. I made the executive decision to pull in on the wrong side and dump my load in a different section and get signed out and we haven't been back to that job since, haha. No sense sending nice equipment out on a job that is bound to damage your stuff.
This was taken before backing up to three-point it, so it got even more bunched up than that.

Crawling through the lake. A lot of our trucks have bent bumpers from this job...finding uneven ground and holes hidden in the water.

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 06:29:32 PM »
From up on top of the Kaysville trap.

I've mostly been running the Kaysville batch plant for over a week, but they're not busy enough to make me enough money in a day, so I've been scrounging to find loads to Ogden, South Weber, and Smithfield to fill in at the end of the day. Getting old fast, working late every night just to make the truck a thousand bucks for the day. Really hope something picks up soon or I get on some gravy with a good tonnage rate or I'm gonna have to go back over the road! 

Jon_G

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »

Hope you start to get some good loads coming in, really crazy about how they were making you guys unload on that job as well!

Jon

peterbilttrucker

• Belly Dragger
    • My album
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:42:18 PM »
It picked up! Kaysville used forty-five loads this week, plus every morning Monday through Friday, I took a load of sand down to South Weber on my way. Kaysville is a small batch plant owned by Parsons that uses a blended sand and washed one inch rock. Both materials come out of South Weber, (takes about an hour per round) and I typically do split loads with sand on the front trailer and rock on the back. I feed a small trap and when I can keep up with how fast they use material, I occasionally put some on the ground to build up stockpiles. Yesterday I went and hauled recycled asphalt from Ogden to Enterprise, loaded by a hoe, paid by the hour, and got nine loads. About sixty-eight hours of work that week, so I guess I'm busy again...now if it would just stop raining so I could get the truck shined up. 8)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:42:18 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs