If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Inaccuracies - turning radius  (Read 1725 times)

Oso2

• Global Moderator
Inaccuracies - turning radius
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:09 PM »
Howdy,

Since you guys have mentioned this game I've watched a few videos online, but haven't played myself. (Sorry, but it's too much like my job!)  I have to commend the makers of Euro and US truck simulators on so many details, but to my eyes they get one glaring thing wrong. It takes much more space to turn a tractor trailer than what they portray. Every time I see a virtual trucker negotiate a T intersection I cringe as I anticipate the screech of metal, or the uncomfortable lurch as your trailer tires go into the ditch.

What I am saying is this: it takes 3 lanes for an 18 wheeler to turn right. You need to either split the lane before you turn, or turn from the middle lane - and even then you'll probably end up halfway into the oncoming lane. But the one thing that you can't do is the game version of turning: turn from the right-hand lane into the right hand lane. Sorry, but in real life that's not going to happen.

Anyway, that's just my 2c.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Hank's Truck Forum

Inaccuracies - turning radius
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:09 PM »

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
Re: Inaccuracies - turning radius
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »
Pretty much how I feel about it too. Keep in mind that if such rules were to be implemented, then it might prove to be much more challenging especially for areas like delivering to a gas station.

Then again, it won't be a simulator if such thing isn't implemented properly. *shrug*

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:06:29 PM »
Pretty much how I feel about it too. Keep in mind that if such rules were to be implemented, then it might prove to be much more challenging especially for areas like delivering to a gas station.

Yes, I've done that. And it wasn't the worst spot I've been in!

You want an idea for a simulator? Talk to Willy about backing a super-B! That's something that I've never done.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
I've always felt that the games as far as turning radius are pretty close to the real thing.  Now, I haven't played since 18 Wheels of Steel, Pedal to the Metal, but I noticed when turning in that game, primarily down in the cities in local roads, the traffic lights would change green for you, and the cars (computer controlled) in opposing cross streets would pull up sooo close to the intersection, that you would sometimes have to swing onto the sidewalk to make corners.

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

IMO the accuracy is much better in the Euro version, but they are also cabovers so the turning radius is usually better. I will say, I use a mod of the Freightliner FLB in the American game and it turns very tightly.

Jon

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
I agree about the turning radius, but I think that has more to do with the game not being perfectly to scale. It would be nice if it was the proper scale, but considering how slow they are about churning out updates and the game to begin with I think they have bigger issues to worry about.

Jon_G

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:29:09 PM »

It has been a long process it seems. I heard they recently hired some ex-modders to the team so hopefully things move quicker. Arizona is due out soon, and they have the Pete 389, FL Cascadia, Volvo VNL730 and 780, and International Lonestar made but just waiting on licensing apparently.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:29:09 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs