If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Euro Truck Simulator 2  (Read 2412 times)

Jon_G

Euro Truck Simulator 2
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »
Before American Truck Sim hit the market, ETS2 was the main trucking sim out there, and is still quite popular and regularly receives updates. I would like to create this thread to show my progress in Europe, where I started out with one truck and now have a 25 vehicle "fleet" with terminals in several countries and a home based in the Netherlands. If anyone else has this game, please feel free to add here. It is relatively cheap now that ATS has launched.

First, some photos of previously driven trucks:

And here is my Truck #001, a 2015 Scania R-Series Topline, fully loaded with options and the most powerful engine. I also added some cab lights on top.

#002 is a 2015 Renault Magnum (not actually possible as the Magnum stopped production in 2013, but still). I spec'd it with a lift tag axle up front.

This truck, actually #008, is the one I am currently driving (the others are driven by your computer-generated drivers), a 2015 DAF with the new Euro 6 engine.

When I have some more time, I will have to go through and get some more photos.

Jon
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:41:13 PM by Jon_G »

Hank's Truck Forum

Euro Truck Simulator 2
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »
I'm not as into European trucks as I am American ones, but this game is probably still interesting.  It does seem, however, that you can have a lot of fun playing around with the different paint color combos on these games; I especially love the paint scheme on #008. 8)

Jon_G

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »

I do find it still interesting, it certainly has a more expanded map and truck/trailer variety currently, but American Truck is still less than a month old
so I'm sure it will get bigger and better over time.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »
For the sake of comparing to American Truck Simulator, how many different truck models are in the original game, excluding mods?  Do you know how many of those were there at the release versus added in updates?

Jon_G

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »

Each major brand has at least 1 or 2. Scania has its R-Series, Renault has the Magnum, Premium, and the new T range will be added soon. Mercedes-Benz has the old and current generation Actros' trucks. Volvo has the previous and current generation FH's, Iveco has the Stralis, DAF has the XF and Euro 6 XF, so 10 currently.
In terms of when released, actually, I don't know, I bought it quite a ways after it came out. I know the new Volvo FH and the Euro 6 DAF pictured above were not originally there, nor were any of the Mercedes-Benz trucks. Other than that, I have no idea.

While American Truck currently only has 3 trucks (T680, W900L, and 579), the software company has models of the Cascadia, Volvo VN-series, and International Lonestar in development (see their blog), but are just waiting on licenses.

Jon

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
I went with the Volvo FH16 classic with 6x4 chassis and 750HP. Baring neck to neck with Scania's top model, I simply like Volvo more.

That HP really helps especially when you are hauling a dump trailer with gravel out of a mining place.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:30 PM »
So I downloaded this game a couple weeks ago, and while I still have quite a few sections of road to explore I've driven through all the major areas so figured I would review it now.  Eventually I will share my own fleet in another thread, but haven't actually bought any trucks yet because gaining XP takes quite a while, and I'm waiting to get to level 23 to buy trucks so I can have them with American style wheels.

The main reason I purchased this game was to have some different map area to explore.  While American Truck Simulator is great, the addition of Arizona a while back gave some much needed map expansion, and the rescale made for more realism and larger overall map area, I still find myself driving on the same routes quite a bit, especially Interstates 10, 40, and 5 between Los Angeles and Sacramento, although I do still play ATS regularly. That and there was a great deal on it the day after Christmas - 75% off which saved me close to $50 for the essentials pack which bundles in all of the major DLC's.

The game format is exactly the same as ATS; essentially being the same game set on a different map with different vehicles.  While with the release of ATS some people saw that as a bad thing, I think SCS has done a great job with that, and when switching between games that familiarity is really nice.  However, when actually driving, the different setting still gives it a different feel than ATS.  I've said before that I like American trucks over European ones, however I was willing to give the Euro trucks a chance with this game, and have gotten used to it.  Plus I plan to Americanize the trucks I buy for my own fleet, as the things I don't like about Euro trucks have more to do with some of the details.  I also prefer the landscape in ATS much better as I'm more for deserts, palm trees, wide open spaces and the like versus motorways surrounded by hills and forest.  There are still some nice flat open parts in ETS2 though in places like France, the Netherlands, and Denmark, and to some extent east of Germany.  I also like the look of American cities and town better too; I guess to me everything looks better in America, but nonetheless I have still enjoyed ETS2, and what I described was pretty much what I expected going into getting ETS2 anyways.

Because it has been around for longer, ETS2 has a ton more content than ATS, with 12 (technically 13, but I consider it to be 12 since there is very little differentiating the two Scanias) truck models versus 4 for ATS, and quite a few more in game companies as well.  Of course the map is huge too, which I really appreciate and was one of my big reasons for buying in the first place.  Hopefully ATS will continue to expand to that level; as far as I know SCS plans on doing so, but haven't heard anything official on future map expansions for quite a while.

As far as room for improvement, ETS2 has a much more complete feel than ATS, leaving much less to be desired than ATS.  There is of course, still room to expand.  ETS2 has all of the major European trucks produced in recent memory except for some of the newest models.  Supposedly the Renault T range was in the works a while ago, and I was going to say the new Scania range would be a nice addition, and per a blog post from today it looks like SCS is pursuing that as well. 8)  There is still some room for new map content yet; southern and central Italy and Spain/Portugal (the latter would make for some refreshing change in scenery), and there is still room for Ireland and possibly going further east (Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, etc.) which would of course be nice.

Last thing worth mentioning is IMO the interior accessories DLC is a neat little feature which lets you place miscellaneous items throughout the inside of the truck, such as a mug or sunglasses on the dash, or a duffel bag on the passenger seat just to name a couple.  Just a minor DLC but one that I think adds some cool detail, giving the trucks a more lived-in feel. 8)

So, even though I like the American way of doing things better, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is still a great game IMO, and I look forward to eventually sharing my fleet here.

Jon_G

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:54:50 AM »

Looking forward to seeing the fleet and nice review! I need to post more of my ATS and ETS2 exploits and keep not finding the time (which is code for me being lazy and putting it off lol). I agree with all of your points here, ETS2 is very immersive and the scale and completeness are really nice. That has more to do with how long it has been out, I think it launched when I was still in high school about four years ago. Given time, I think ATS will get to that level as well, they also said on their blog post about the new Scania (which I am excited about) that they have several truck models for both games at 99% completion and are just waiting on permission to include them in the game. Apparently people were posting on Volvo's facebook page that they should give them permission already ;D
The one thing I will say, ATS is a lot more open in terms of space, which is very true to life. Europe is a lot tighter in places, and while I drive somewhat quickly in ATS (usually 70+), I tend to keep at 55-60 in ETS2 as speed limits are lower and everything is a bit more condensed. It makes sense as all trucks in Europe are limited to 56mph electronically.

Jon

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
I did forget to make note of the speed limits, they are quite low, with only 50 mph on most highways (as if 55 mph in California wasn't bad enough ::)); I usually drive 6 or 7 mph above the speed limits in ETS2 and disabled the speed limiter.  On some open two-lane highways the speed limit is even as low as 43, which is really annoying, and where possible I drive 55 anyways.

I did see the part about more models being almost ready for the games; for ETS2 the only new ones I can think of that aren't in the game yet besides the new Scanias would be the Renault T range.  I'm definitely looking forward to new trucks for ATS too as it only has four currently, but at this point mostly want to see some new states added moreso than new trucks; haven't heard anything official about that however. :-\

Jon_G

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

The speed limits are very low, I think 55 is actually true for California, but I never listen to that. I turn the speed limiter off as well, I am not a fan of those in real life honestly, and I definitely would get bored just sitting behind all the other slow trucks. My US fleet specializes in refrigerated commodities, so getting freight delivered on time if not early is very important (I may be getting a little too into this). G&G Trucking, blowing your doors off one state at a time ;D ;D I used to run 80mph through Arizona but that was pushing it, so 75 is the most I'll go, and usually I just set the cruise on 70 in ATS, and 55-60 in ETS2.
The Renault T was originally supposed to be part of the Vive la France DLC package (I have the Scandinavia one but not the France one), but they may be working on it still. They have licensing IIRC, but it does take a lot of time to get the code just right. I have friends studying web and game development and it is amazing the amount of work these things do take. I imagine Volvo will be the next ATS manufacturer, people have been reaching out to them a lot on social media on the subject. The problem is, the US bases of these manufacturers have very little to do with their European counterparts. Volvo USA is not Volvo Europe, just as Daimler Trucks North America is a separate entity from Mercedes-Benz, and they all have their own legal departments and a million hurdles to jump through sadly. But I have a feeling this year we will see some more added.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs