If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: American Truck Simulator  (Read 17658 times)

Jon_G

American Truck Simulator
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »

Didn't know if anyone saw this, but it is supposed to launch this week. I know a lot of you on here actually drive or have driven a truck for real as opposed to just sitting at your computer playing a game, but I will say the European version of this game, which has been out and continually updated over the past couple of years, is actually pretty entertaining for some reason ;D
http://blog.scssoft.com/search/label/American%20Truck%20Simulator

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

American Truck Simulator
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »

Oso2

• Global Moderator
Re: American Truck Simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:59:54 PM »
Allow me to make the joke before anyone else does: in other words, it's just like driving a Volvo.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:34 AM »
When I was in college and seemed to have hours and hours of free time, I played a bunch of different SCS Software's truck simulators.  They were decent, but at that point in my life, I already had my CDL.  It's ok for fun, but not super realistic.  I've been in Werner's simulator, Dart Transit's simulator, both which you sat in an actual FLD120 cab and Bay&Bay's simulator....all of which are a faaar cry from the real thing, but I guess it's a good place to see what kind of a driver you have before you put them in the seat piloting $250,000 worth of equipment.

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »

That's a good point, and as someone who is not in the industry other than as an enthusiast, I do find it fun.....except when I take an exit ramp too quickly and shift a load of glass panels like I did the other day ::) Let's just hope companies don't start using it as a simulator. It's a fun game, but not sure about preparing you for the road ;D

Jon

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »
I have the game and play it at times on a multiplayer server. It's relaxing to "drive" in the game as there's virtually no traffic(besides other players) and it's fun to convoy or tug the horn.

As for the physics in-game like exiting the ramp, you can adjust the stability in the game settings. As a guilty pleasure of mine, I set the stability to the highest so I wouldn't flip when I exit the ramp.

Then you have the occasional trolls on the road that takes joy in disrupting the traffic by ramming and blocking. Traffic is, ironically, hilarious and happens very often in Eurooport which is near Amsterdam and Rotterdam. You get all the different European languages blarging angry text with lots of horn tugging. The most frequently used statement in game when there's obstruction or trolls is "1293 you are reported! Enjoy ban! Haha." There are many instances where players become infuriatingly impatient and start ramming other trucks to move especially the troll/AFK blocker. Then, because of in-game glitches, truck models would be distorted with the game physics causing havoc to the truck.

I like the game and the community. The game server/community even created a live GPS, live recording of traffic in the very populated cities/ports and a website that lets players register for a online in-game company and jot down log entries.

I would want to buy ATS soon but much of the promised features have not been delivered such as other truck brands and models and other states and cities.

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
I used to play the older games as a kid and I lost interest until I discovered ETS2 a couple years ago. Not knowing anything about driving a truck in real life I wouldn't know how realistic it is, but I've been excited for it to come out ever since it was announced a couple years ago. I just bought it since it came out today but with my schedule already being really busy I don't know when I'm going to find time to play.

dutchy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
when you play that game, do you wait 6 hours to to get loaded/unloaded or 2-3 days to get a reload???

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »
Not knowing anything about driving a truck in real life I wouldn't know how realistic it is,

I must admit - I'd try it for a an hour or so, just to find out.

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »
when you play that game, do you wait 6 hours to to get loaded/unloaded or 2-3 days to get a reload???

There is no such thing was waiting for shipments to unload. All you have to do is "contract" a load, go to that location, then accept the job, then "hook it" up, then haul the trailer/dump/flatbed,w.e to that location, then you just park it into the spot and "unhook" it within a set time frame. Depending on your performance, you can incur losses from damaging the trailer or arriving to the destination late--to very late.

Every "job"(basically a freight description of that load, weight, description, start and end destination, profit by move), is paced by the in-game or the server time if you are playing a particular mod. There will always be freight available to be moved, sometimes the game has a internal time problem and that's when you reset some values in your computer files or pass the time in-game by sleeping off your fatigue.

You don't own your own trailer equipment (I don't know if that's the true in ATS), but you do own a truck, so you are basically an O/O. Or you can be a C/D (which you have to do in the beginning) and work for in-game companies.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:26:19 PM by Zeprome »

Jon_G

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:41:56 PM »

To add to that, you basically start out working for other companies and save up money, or take out loans if you wish, to purchase garages and trucks of your own, which you can customize, and there are a lot of downloadable upgrades (mods) that you can add as well. For example, I have an alcoa polished wheel mod for my fleet as most of the in-game wheels are quite plain in comparison. Like I said, it doesn't seem like it, but once you start playing it's pretty entertaining 8)

Jon

Zeprome

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 10:55:56 PM »

To add to that, you basically start out working for other companies and save up money, or take out loans if you wish, to purchase garages and trucks of your own, which you can customize, and there are a lot of downloadable upgrades (mods) that you can add as well. For example, I have an alcoa polished wheel mod for my fleet as most of the in-game wheels are quite plain in comparison. Like I said, it doesn't seem like it, but once you start playing it's pretty entertaining 8)

Jon

Psh, fleet? I give all my C/Ds IVECO Stralis Active Space stock with the weakest HP engine. I don't give a care for my employees, might as well take off the excess accessories and save up.

Serves them right for not being an O/O.  ;D

I got the Volvo FH16 Classic with highest Engine, 700HP, which many people on the forum complains it's unreal when most of the actual European trucks have HPs ranging up to 510HP. They call this the "J-spec", w.e J means.

But I digress, it is fun to customize the truck. Quite entertaining. A trucker can dream and now play! Owning one is another story...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:59:30 PM by Zeprome »

Jon_G

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »

I have heard the same thing about the Volvo, yet I also went for the biggest engine ;D Now that they have the new Mercedes Actros, I may have to try that. I also saw on the SCS blog that they are getting ready to add the new Renault T truck as well.

Jon

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
Doesn't sound even remotely realistic, the game I play has traffic jambs, wait times,
gov't inspections, records keeping, accountability and a very real world feel to it.

It can be very entertaining, satisfying, infuriating, demanding, tiring, as well as a myriad of
other mental and physical experiences.

The game generally runs 10-15 hrs. a day 5 days a week, occasionally 6, and has a duration of
8-10 months a year.

Wanna play?

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

The Fugitive

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
Ted That is the same game I play.      Bob.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
Doesn't sound even remotely realistic, the game I play has traffic jambs, wait times,
gov't inspections, records keeping, accountability and a very real world feel to it.

Wanna play?

Yes, but you're missing the point: you can actually "win" in the video game.

:P

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs