Author Topic: Skyline Truck stop - Craigellachie BC  (Read 720 times)

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
Skyline Truck stop - Craigellachie BC
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »

I've just learned that one of my favourite truck stops had burned down several weeks ago.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2313757/skyline-truck-stop-in-malakwa-ablaze/

I remember the old building, an old service station that was converted to a restaurant, call it rustic, with with concrete floors, heavy and sturdy wooden chairs and tables, a wood fired stove for heat, not much to look at but functional, and a breakfast that would keep you smiling all day long.

I would often pull in during the middle of the night and sleep like a baby, the smell of the forest, the clean mountain air, the silence, absolute bliss to a tired trucker in need of peace and quiet, most notably when it was cool and raining, which seemed to enhance my state of relaxation.

I recall waking up a couple times and walking to the river nearby to get a bit of exercise and some rain on my face in the mountain air before breakfast, then ordering a mushroom and cheese omelet that came with this big pile of home fries, country bacon, texas toast, and 3 or 4 slices of tomato.
 They must have used 4 extra large eggs, it was huge as most omelet's go, the mushrooms were fresh and they didn't skimp on the portions, the bacon was excellent, I truly felt satisfied when I moseyed back out to the truck to start the day.

Aside from my fond memories, this place had a colourful history and is situated near Craigellachie BC.
 In it's early days, before it became a truck stop, there used to be cabins on the back of the property where lonely men would go to meet not so lonely women, for a fee of course, way back when it was a happening place out in the middle of the wilderness.

"Goodbye Old Friend."

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9957522,-118.6936922,3a,75y,331.42h,77.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3_dvVaprOVADpHjroqPSsw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Hank's Truck Forum

Skyline Truck stop - Craigellachie BC
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »

TWP

• Regular Membership
Re: Skyline Truck stop - Craigellachie BC
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:03:06 PM »
I too had many a meal in this great spot, coffee was good, cheery staff, and if there was an open chair in an otherwise full room
you were most always welcome to join the table already in progress, Sit down with strangers and leave with new friends.
(usually....sometimes....maybe....well....um.......) ;) ;D

On occasion the lot would be full and rigs would be lining the shoulders.

Portions of food usually a bit more than this skinny boy could handle. :D

I hope the Hayes Clipper that took up residence beside the café was saved.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

jonboy

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
That brings back fond memories of the area.
I may have stopped there, but I really remember walking over to the "last spike".

My sweet spot was the husky down the road in Sicamous. I'd look forward to camping out there. And if the weather was right, I would kick the bunk door open for the night.
The air was so fresh and the smell of the trees brought a special feeling.
I would sneak down to the golf coarse for a quick walk in paradise, then have one of the best showers in Canada at the husky.
The water was like no other. Hard to describe, but if you have experienced the area, you'll know just what I'm talking about.

JJG

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:28:41 AM »
Strange, stopped in there a few times to eat, was a fine place to get what you needs, too bad it's history now!

Jim.