If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Return of Ford?  (Read 10156 times)

W. Lineman

• Regular Membership
Re: Return of Ford?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 08:14:33 AM »
COE's? I remember the big fleet ads, "DRIVERS WANTED: New CONVENTIONALS coming in soon. Plus we will pay you $.04/mile bonus to drive one of our COE's until your new conventional comes in."
Hard enough to fill a seat today, few companies would risk a disincentive like a COE.
It used to be, you came off the loading docks or a city truck into the oldest road tractor in the yard.
Today, they hire fresh recruits out of school and put them into a walk in condo.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 08:14:33 AM »

Wreckerman

• Regular Membership
  • 🇺🇸
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »
I could see Ford filling the void Sterling left in the vocational market.
There are still quite a few Sterlings out there, but they're getting pretty old by now.
Ford could definitely slide in behind them and pick up some vocational customers (dump trucks, utility trucks, daycab tractors), and probably do very well.
Ford making a modern coe would be cool, but I doubt very seriously that'll happen.  :-\
That said, a modern WT/CLT-9000 and/or LTL9000 would be totally awesome! ;D
Move Over & Slow Down for Stopped Emergency Vehicles.
This Includes Tow Trucks and Their Operators.

Blue Mule74

• Regular Membership
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2018, 02:12:03 AM »
COE's? I remember the big fleet ads, "DRIVERS WANTED: New CONVENTIONALS coming in soon. Plus we will pay you $.04/mile bonus to drive one of our COE's until your new conventional comes in."
Hard enough to fill a seat today, few companies would risk a disincentive like a COE.
It used to be, you came off the loading docks or a city truck into the oldest road tractor in the yard.
Today, they hire fresh recruits out of school and put them into a walk in condo.

Some about the WT-9000's I've always liked, Some day I will have me a 1974 in particular
Lance C.

Founder of Lance's Truck Picture's

rgaskill66

• Regular Membership
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »
If Daimler thought customers would replace Sterlings with Freightliner MB models they guessed wrong. I have seen Sterlings replaced by Macks in many large fleets. Coca Cola and Duke Energy kept a U.S. Freightliner plant from closing by telling Daimler they wouldn't buy any Mexican made trucks.
I can't see Ford coming back and being competitive in the heavy truck market. Having an adequate network of facilities providing service would be a major issue.

Blue Mule74

• Regular Membership
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »

Some about the WT-9000's I've always liked, Some day I will have me a 1974 in particular

With that me saying that there is something about the WT-9000's I've always liked, A modern Ford WT-9000 would be very wishful thinking 
Lance C.

rgaskill66

• Regular Membership
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »
TWP, do you seriously think they can jack the prices up on Class 8 trucks? The bulk of the sales are to fleets of penny pinching OTR carriers keeping operating costs as low as possible. 

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »

https://www.commercialmotor.com/news/product/ford-f-max-named-international-truck-year-2019-man-and-psa-also-honoured-iaa

Perhaps it will be the push to bring the truck in western Europe. The Ford Otosan trucks are already distributed in eastern Europe, Russia, Middle-East and North Africa

Blue Mule74

• Regular Membership
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 04:43:50 AM »
Would be nice for Ford Big Rigs to come back here
Lance C.

james j neiweem

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Ford: Buy Mack from Volvo. Wala back in the saddle again.

Jim Herriot

• Regular Membership
  • ........who?........
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Ford: Buy Mack from Volvo. Wala back in the saddle again.

...like they did with the car division. ::)...Jim. ;)

Automobile manufacturer Volvo Cars, also based in Gothenburg, was part of AB Volvo until 1999, when it was sold to the Ford Motor Company. Since 2010 it has been owned by the Geely Holding Group, a Chinese multinational automotive manufacturing company. Both AB Volvo and Volvo Cars share the Volvo logo and cooperate in running the Volvo Museum in Sweden.
...duties and obligations, before pleasures and desires...

Blue Mule74

• Regular Membership
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »
Western Star was actually talked about considering getting away from Daimler at one point and teaming up with Ford If Ford came back to class eight heavy duty big rigs, But, Nothing has happened yet 
Lance C.

FireStar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
Hmm... That sounds like it could be good. I can only imagine what a modern LT9000 or maybe CLT9000 would look like. I think it would be nice for Western Star to get away from Daimler and help Ford get back in the game. From what I heard in the next few years they plan on getting rid of some of their consumer car and suv lineup if they haven't already (just a rumor I heard, not sure how viable that is).
If I haven't found it, I will. Believe me, no truck is safe from my eyes, Large or scaled.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »
From what I heard in the next few years they plan on getting rid of some of their consumer car and suv lineup if they haven't already (just a rumor I heard, not sure how viable that is).

Are you talking about Ford or Daimler?  Because Ford is trying to be trendy and discontinuing every single car except the Mustang from their lineup, in favor of more crossovers and SUVs.  That should have absolutely nothing to do with commercial trucks though.  And while it is interesting that Ford has re-entered the OTR truck market in Europe, I'm still very skeptical that they will do the same here anytime soon.  And even if they do, they certainly wouldn't do anything retro like the 9000-series trucks everyone loves.  It would have to be an all new aerodynamic design, and possibly bringing something new school to the table in order to stand out from the established makes.

FireStar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
I think if they got in they might just remodel the LTL9000 and Aeromax truck designs they already have to match their current light and medium duty line up. Would save them on time designing a whole new truck. Or they may be designing a whole new heavy duty truck lineup right now as we type. I might start on a potential design. A modern CLT9000 would probably be out of the question, much as I hate to say it. Last I heard the last 'modern' cabover offered in the U.S. and Canada was a Freightliner Argosy glider since they make them here and then ship them overseas to our friends down under. Would be neat to see them try and bring back cabovers though.

And yes, I was talking about Ford. Car guys are very loud people, especially when they're supposed to be doing school work.
If I haven't found it, I will. Believe me, no truck is safe from my eyes, Large or scaled.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs