If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Peterbilt and a...  (Read 2573 times)

jr-transport

• Chicken Lights and Chrome...
    • Check out my Flikr page. I have lots of pics of my Trucks-both real and models.
Peterbilt and a...
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:20:57 AM »
...Mercedes. I'm no expert, but I'd say that this isn't a North American spec Mercedes. Looks excessively European to me. Spotted it in Dryden, On this week. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I know almost as much about Mercedes (and other Euro trucks) as aI do about being a neurosurgeon

Peterbilt with a Mercedes by Jeremy Rempel, on Flickr

Peterbilt with a Mercedes by Jeremy Rempel, on Flickr
"In my experience, overkill is underrated" Hannibal

Nosin' around by jr-transport, on Flickr

Hank's Truck Forum

Peterbilt and a...
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:20:57 AM »

Mister TyZo

Re: Peterbilt and a...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »
 ;). Just a Shot in The Dark.. The Mercedes wouldn't have been Floated to The Govt. Cold Weather Proving / Testing Labs in Kapaskasing,On ?????
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
That's the one I started the thread about in Anything Trucking Related.

How did I know a Hank's member would get a pic?  ;D

Wonder where it is going?
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
I don't know much about European trucks either, but this isn't the first time a Hank's member has spotted a Euro-spec truck in North America.  The other times it was usually for some sort of testing, and IIRC once the truck was here temporarily to have some specialty equipment mounted on the back, and then get shipped back to Europe.

One time as I was riding down the interstate (in Indiana), one truck hauling cars caught my eye not because of the rig itself, but the cars on the trailer.  There were a couple Mitsubishi Tritons (a small pickup) and a couple other rugged, Land Cruiser-like SUVs that I didn't recognize, although I didn't get a good look at those.  Anyway, I know the Mitsubishi Triton is not for sale in the U.S., and I believe you're not allowed to import vehicles like that if they're less than 25 years old, so I'm still puzzled what they were doing here.  I swear there were Tritons on that trailer, and I don't think I'd been having hallucinations.

My point is, for whatever reason, once in a while foreign-spec vehicles find their way to the U.S. and Canada, and I'm sure there's always some really interesting reason why, although I personally can't help any more than what I've just said.  Anyway, foreign-spec vehicles are pretty neat to catch, that's for sure. ;D

Mister TyZo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:20:42 PM »
My point is, for whatever reason, once in a while foreign-spec vehicles find their way to the U.S. and Canada, and I'm sure there's always some really interesting reason why, although I personally can't help any more than what I've just said.  Anyway, foreign-spec vehicles are pretty neat to catch, that's for sure. ;D

Several Years back a Childhood Friend had his Truck on with a Covered Car Carrier .. I had gone along for the Ride to Halifax , Pickup some Odd Looking Units that were Destin for the Fed. Govt. Testing Site which was a Non Discript 2 Story Building in Eastend Ottawa..Street Number on the Building only, No Billboard or Identification...  There was a Few Beauties in the Building under wraps..
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Jon_G

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »

Daimler Trucks North America has tested the previous generation of Mercedes Actros in the Northwest for several years, though it apparently has nothing to do with the US market.
In terms of cars, there are a few different ways to see non-US spec vehicles here:

1) If a vehicle is 25 years old (or older), it may be imported to the US and be certified as-is. It is why you see foreign classic cars not actually sold here in the US. For a recent example, there are now quite a few R32-generation Nissan Skyline GTR's that have been imported to the states in this way over the last couple of years, as they hit the 25 year mark last year. (The current, R35 GTR is the first Nissan has sold new here).
Some vehicles which are newer may be imported for display only, but the vehicle must show some historical significance to be considered.

2) A lot of car companies, regardless of country of origin, test vehicles in the US. The variety of terrains, altitudes, and environments encompassed by the interstate alone is very desirable to provide feedback on new vehicles. Some automakers even have facilities in the states. For example, Peugeot-Citroen, a French car manufacturer, has (or at one point had) a location in the Northeast, and some of their vehicles can occasionally be spotted in the area around it. I'm thinking the trucks you saw were being tested.

In this photo's case, the Mercedes is probably receiving some kind of vocational body before it is shipped back overseas. Mercedes has increased its commercial vehicle presence lately, offering the smaller cargo vans alongside the Sprinter series, but no heavy trucks have been sold here for at least 20 years or so (to my knowledge). However, if the trucks are anything like their cars, I'd be more than happy to see them sold in the US.

Jon

Paccar 105

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:01:05 AM »
I can tell you that this truck isn't legal in the EU.
Those cabs aren't sold in EURO6 and EURO6 has become law in 2014 (it is spec'd like a EU truck)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:01:05 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs