If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: A Pair of 5700XE's  (Read 6895 times)

Jon_G

Re: A Pair of 5700XE's
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »

There is a much bigger marketing effort by Western Star here with the 5700. The 4900 SFFA long hood has a following here since it's a large car type of truck, but the 4800, supposed to be the main highway offering and a mix of style and aero, has never sold to well here. They haven't exactly promoted it as an alternative to the other aero trucks, so I don't think too many fleets went for it. The 5700 is new, and it seems Western Star is really trying hard to promote it here in addition to Canada, which is arguably its main market since Western Star is from Canada.

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »
With all the new trucks that came into being recently they all had one thing in common they all took off in Quebec and i can prove it .International Lonestar never really took off til it got into the Quebec market and and Mr.Gerard Laplante and myself capture a ton of them in photos.2. Cat ct660 followed in the foot steps of the Lonestar with the same results now we have the Western Star 5700 EE i have already gotten 5 new stars all from Quebec and Gerard has several also , maybe these company's know something about the area and are willing to push it to see how it takes off here or fails but it's funny as i was taking with my friend up in Ottawa and he seen about 40 new Cat trucks at a dealership ready to shipped out to were ? Peterbilt's 579 were being shipped down to Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick to who? all from Cardinal On. are company's now trading in the old units for new one's or expanding there respective companys

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »
I wish the Star's were still made in Canada. Our old BC built Stars had no issues compared to my new one. (and the new 5700 that was at my dealer with a blown rear axle that was never filled with oil.)

I like a lot of the features on that new 5700 Star, but will add I would rather have a Lonestar over it. Lonestar's are very popular around here. I see all kinds of them pulling B-Train flat decks and lots of wood chip haulers are using them. And even the guys I talked to that are taking them into the bush are praising them.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
Here are a few more.

2016 Western Star 5700XE by Dave, on Flickr

Western Star 5700XE by Dave, on Flickr

Western Star 5700XE in Transit by Dave, on Flickr

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
I like the color of the second one Granitefan713.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

partsman88

• Regular Membership
    • My page (Flickr)
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
That gray one in the last pic looks alright. It works better when it blends in with the grille imo.

Iowa80

• Regular Membership
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »
Now that I think about it more, to pinpoint what exactly I like about this truck, is that it stands out and is something different without looking too ugly or wild.  This is ESPECIALLY because in recent years there has been a trend in the trucking industry away from the traditional square-hoods and even trucks that compromise by being somewhat aerodynamic, but keep classic styling cues, namely the 386 and T660; however, just about every company that ran the 386 and/or T660 has replaced them with the still good-looking, but very generic 579/T680.  It feels like the 5700 is sort of bucking that trend and is more like the T660 than T680, which I think is a good thing.

I'll use C. R. England as an example.  It's a generally decent-looking and well-kempt fleet, however, they use mostly Cascadias, which I don't think necessarily look bad, but at the same time aren't very exciting either.  As I mentioned before, I saw one of CRE's new 5700s in person recently, and IMO it looked pretty slick, especially compared to their ho-hum Cascadias, and a welcome change for the better. 8)

Jon_G

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »

I definitely think they are trying to be more outside the box, but Western Star has always kind of been that way, so it makes sense. It's the same with cars really, so many look the same that when something different comes along, it can be very divisive.
In terms of Cascadia, I wonder how much the 5700 shares with it mechanically since Freightliner (DTNA) owns Western Star. I much prefer the older Cascadias before they went to the giant cab fairings and side skirts, it looks much cleaner and sharper. Thankfully they still offer the older design 8)

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs