If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Life After Working In A Bike Shop After Trucking  (Read 10741 times)

Gummiente

Life After Working In A Bike Shop After Trucking
« on: September 06, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »
Soooooo.... long time since my blog has been updated. There is much to relate about what has happened over the past few years, but first I need to get something out there in the open right off the bat. Thanks to a recent course, I am now qualified ABCDEFGMZ on my Ontario driver's licence, which basically means if it has wheels I can drive it. Thing is, I'm not motoring about in a tractor trailer now. I'm not in a straight truck, either. And I'm no longer working in a motorcycle shop.

I am now.....

... a 72 passenger school bus driver. First day of work starts this coming Tuesday when school opens for another season.

More to follow soon.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer

Hank's Truck Forum

Life After Working In A Bike Shop After Trucking
« on: September 06, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
Re: Life After Working In A Bike Shop After Trucking
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:45:21 PM »
OMG  :o :o..........good luck to you sir. Think I'd rather fight off a gang of bikers in the MC shop than ride herd on a bunch of school kids. ::) Good to see you after a couple of years & lookin' forward to your blog. 8)

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
OMG X2..I;m thinking a headband and a well chewed White Owl (cigar)
is in order.
 unlit of course...
That would be wrong,, ;D

Maybe a Walkman or earplugs too..

Have fun with it.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »
Oh I can just see Little Johnny in therapy 40 years from now: "My school bus driver was scary ex-military biker. He terrorized us on a daily basis!"  ;D

Glad to have you back! BTW, I went to a driving school where the those who couldn't drive an 18-wheeler were encouraged to try out a school bus. I always thought it weird that tractor trailer work is seen as where the "professional drivers and the big dogs play," and school buses are for "women and lesser drivers." Let's take a second here to figure out which is more important: transporting widgets and Chinese crap, vs. transporting, oh, CHILDREN!

Glad you've taken up the challenge.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Gummiente

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 05:53:31 AM »
Thanks for the words of support, boys. Oso, re your statement about school buses being for "women and lesser drivers", the overwhelming majority of drivers in the company I now work for are female, but I think it's more the job structure that attracts them rather than the perceived driving skill level. There's lots of Mommy's who bus their children to school with the rest of the herd and then pick them up at the end of the day and they love that they can do that. As for the few male drivers, most of us seem to be cut from the same cloth; retired and reluctant to work at Home Hardware in order to supplement a modest pension income.

As for the supposed lesser skill requirements I found that, likely due to my big rig experience, it wasn't very hard at all to pilot a bus. I was told I got the hang of it way faster than the other rookies and the instructor always commented on how my pre-trip inspections and paperwork were flawless. I'm not saying they're as easy to drive as a car, but without a 53' box hanging off the back bumper they are much easier to deal with in all traffic situations. As a bonus, I have the ability to stop traffic both ways with the push of a button on the steering wheel.  8) The training (at least with my company) is very thorough and complete and one has to have a spotless background check in order to be trusted with the care and transport of LCB's. The one thing that I'm finding difficult is the memorisation of the route and the 47 different stops (morning and afternoon total) I have to make on a daily basis. I have a handy set of printed directions and have plotted the routes on my GPS, so hopefully this will cut down on the wrong turns and miffed kids who stand there in the rain as their bus roars past without stopping.

All said, this is still going to be a challenge but, as other school bus drivers have assured me, it is well worth it. How many other jobs are there where you work 2-3hr in the morning, come home for a nap, putter about till mid-afternoon, then work for a another 2-3hr before clocking out? AND you get every single weekend off, plus school holidays, plus the entire summer?!
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
As for the supposed lesser skill requirements I found that, likely due to my big rig experience, it wasn't very hard at all to pilot a bus.

I've done a little straight truck work myself - and after jumping out of a big rig it seemed a lot easier. The thing is, there's a nasty little trick that buses and straight trucks do: tail swing. And it can get you into trouble - fast.

The one important lesson that I took from straight-truck driving was that while you must watch your right hand-mirror on a right hand turn in a big rig, in a straight truck you must watch your left! Or, preferably both right and left at the same time! Don't ask me how I learned that.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:07 AM »
Question...Since it has been a very long time since I've seen the inside of a
school bus I was wondering if anyone figured out the installation of seat belts yet?

This is some thing I've pondered for a long time but am just asking now.

This goes for all buses really.

And. if not, what is the reasoning behind not having them.

Thanks.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
Question...Since it has been a very long time since I've seen the inside of a
school bus I was wondering if anyone figured out the installation of seat belts yet?

This is some thing I've pondered for a long time but am just asking now.

This goes for all buses really.

And. if not, what is the reasoning behind not having them.

Thanks.
-Ted

They'll Argue to the Moon and Back a Gazillion Times, Why Should Seatbelts Be Installed in School Buses for the Passengers ... Whether it be  (A) School Bus (B) Public Transit.. Believe it or not all the stats even though it's a pile of howky and the numbers dictate Buses are a Safer Mode of Transportation..

Now Hypothetically Seatbelt's are Mandated.. To Retrofit a Bus or Even add the Option to a New Build your Talking just shy of $10,000 (Cdn)per Bus.. The Cost Facture is the Killer cause the Cost will be Handed down to all that Pay School Taxes.. Beauty..  8)

Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Gummiente

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »
Tyzo's response pretty much echoes what I've been told. I've noticed on the newer buses (2008-up) that all the seats have built in recessed anchors where a seatbelt would normally be positioned, I'm not sure what the purpose is, though. I'll try to remember to ask that next time I'm at the terminal.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »
Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's I recall that one of the school bus drivers was the guy who ran the local B/A gas station. He apparently enjoyed the steady extra bucks being put in his bank account.
Mike, weren't you a Sergeant in the Forces?
You should know how to get them to line up and march on and off your bus.

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »
There has to be a better reason than $10K additional sales cost,

The transportation industry pays more than that everytime some
one in California has a wet sneeze!

-Ted

My intent is not to de-rail so I will pose the question again in the
" Nuts and Bolts" thread.

Thanks.

-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:41:05 AM by TWP »
Truckin`Addiction.

Gummiente

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »
True, Rob, I am a retired Sgt. However, these days what with the total lack of respect, accountability and decency absent from the school age generation I bet that my best parade square voice would be met with 72 smartphones recording my outburst and being immediately uploaded to social media sites, followed by a termination of employment and several lawsuits.

Hey, every job has its downside, right?  :)
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer

Gummiente

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 11:43:41 AM »
TWP, all questions about school buses are welcome in my blog. If I can't answer it, there is likely someone else who can.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
TWP, all questions about school buses are welcome in my blog. If I can't answer it, there is likely someone else who can.

Thank you,
Truckin`Addiction.

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »
True, Rob, I am a retired Sgt. However, these days what with the total lack of respect, accountability and decency absent from the school age generation I bet that my best parade square voice would be met with 72 smartphones recording my outburst and being immediately uploaded to social media sites, followed by a termination of employment and several lawsuits.

Hey, every job has its downside, right?  :)

When I was in Grade 8 (1966-67)I attended a private school in Oakville for a year.
Gymnastics was an important part of the curriculum and the man they hired was a retired Sergeant Major. He wasn't a big burly man at all but he was tough in the finest sense of the word.
He was also a kind man but allowed no one to cross him. Some of the older boys, being in their mid teens and feeling their oats, tried.
They all failed.
It's too bad that we have come so far in a little over a generation.
There would be no bullying if the miscreants were promptly dealt with.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs