If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The 9800i - not in the US though :(  (Read 3366 times)

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
The 9800i - not in the US though :(
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
Saw this is available in South Africa...I think it would do well here in North America, yes?

Hank's Truck Forum

The 9800i - not in the US though :(
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »

Mister TyZo

Re: The 9800i - not in the US though :(
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »
 ;) Who knows ?? My Query then, Why Did Schneider National get rid of their International COE's Then ??Schneider's have the Buying Ability surely it could have stayed on the North American Market... Just Saying.  8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:35:51 AM by Mister TyZo »
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:33:04 AM »
Looks very old fashioned.  :)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

hwyhaulier

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »
Jan - Lodge Members -

What's wrong with that? RETRO is cool...

Appearances it much like a modern day TRANSTAR, all over again?

.............................Vern..........................

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:13:04 AM »
The "updated" old fashioned looks don't work for me here. The old IH COE looks were definitely OK in my book - but this new version has been updated with a new grille that just doesn't work with the rest of the cab. But hey, that's just me.  ;)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:21:29 AM »
Can see the effect their style-guys were attempting. Emphasize the "flair-out as you go up" thing. But, with the straight up & down cab-profile established by the sides & mirrors, it ain't working.

But on the positive side, it doesn't look like a refrigerator.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Jon_G

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »

I was always a little surprised International never attempted to bring the 9800i to the US, like Freightliner has with the Argosy. Now, I know cabovers are only a niche market over here, but it seemed Schneider was still keen on buying cabovers as they tested a set of Argosies after IH ended 9800 production in the US. On the surface, the truck looks the same, and the mechanicals, other than emissions equipment, seem to be the same as over here. It would be neat to see a new one working for SNI, though I doubt the drivers would be too happy with it. Then again, the last generation of IH cabover, the 9800, had a flat floor, so you never know.

As for its styling, I kind of like the simple design, maybe spruce it up by integrating the front grille all the way down to the headlights if anything.

Jon

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »

I was always a little surprised International never attempted to bring the 9800i to the US, like Freightliner has with the Argosy. Now, I know cabovers are only a niche market over here, but it seemed Schneider was still keen on buying cabovers as they tested a set of Argosies after IH ended 9800 production in the US. On the surface, the truck looks the same, and the mechanicals, other than emissions equipment, seem to be the same as over here. It would be neat to see a new one working for SNI, though I doubt the drivers would be too happy with it. Then again, the last generation of IH cabover, the 9800, had a flat floor, so you never know.

As for its styling, I kind of like the simple design, maybe spruce it up by integrating the front grille all the way down to the headlights if anything.

Jon

J.B. Hunt was going to replace their 9700/9800s with a fleet of 9,000 Argosies but stopped after buying less than 1000 trucks.  The early deliveries were in the traditional tan cab/orange frame scheme, but most were delivered in white.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Jon_G

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »

And I heard that J.B. Hunt had a lot of problems with those Argosies, which is why they stopped buying them early. Things ranging all the way from engine issues down to the slide-out steps not working. Granted, these were very early models of the Argosy, but after that they decided the Century was the way to go. As for SNI, I know they used a few Argosy daycabs on a beer delivery account through about 2005 or '06 but they were not very big on the full bunk Argosy for OTR use.

Jon

Paystar

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
I'd glady take one of those. Especially since International was first to offer a modern cab over with a flat floor and no engine tunnel.
The New Generation: 'You have what we call an irrational sense of entitlement. It won't kill you, but it will cause you to believe that you deserve top pay for doing nothing.'

Paccar 105

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 03:06:34 AM »
You cannot fit a modern engine in those.
So in the USA that would mean selling then as gliders.
Sales would be to low to be worth the effort.

Jon_G

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 08:36:19 AM »

I know the current generation Argosy, at least according to the Australian specs, can take both a Detroit DD15 and Cummins ISX as its powerplant, but US emissions requirements are different. In fact, the emissions change in 2007 is why Freightliner removed the Argosy from its main lineup in the first place. They could not find a cost-effective way to re-engineer the truck to fit the new equipment. However, the niche market raised enough demand for FL to offer it again as a glider kit. Sales were quite slow for awhile as most dealerships had no idea they could still get one, but now DTNA has added it to their official glider kit brochure and a handful of companies have purchased them.
However, I agree that International would most likely not be willing to spend the $ to bring the 9800i over here. The last time it was offered here was 1998, and the cab design has not changed all that much. US specifications have changed quite a bit since then, and I doubt they would be able to adapt essentially a 17 year old design to only sell to a small market.

Jon

Paccar 105

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
Let's put it another way.

In a conversation to DAF staff the subject off bringing DAF's to the USA came up.
Bearing in mind they have the Paccar MX engine,so maintenance and so on wouldn't be a problem as you have the same driveline in USA COE's.
And since EURO 6 and EPA '10 are as good as the same ,again no problem there.
BUT still they will not do it.
So it would cost them no R&D money and still they see the market for selling them as to small to be worth the effort.

fangio

DonRobbie

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 05:29:40 AM »
;) Who knows ?? My Query then, Why Did Schneider National get rid of their International COE's Then ??Schneider's have the Buying Ability surely it could have stayed on the North American Market... Just Saying.  8)

They gave a couple reasons at the time. Since all the other makes (except Freightliner) had exited the cabover market there wasn't a lot of competition to keep International honest on price and updating the product. Related to that, even with Schneider's business the volume of 9800s wasn't really enough to keep production and development going. (My opinion, even if SNI had soldiered on buying 9800s they still would have been discontinued when the new emissions rules came out). Last. but definitely not least, drivers didn't want to drive them. Recruiting was harder, guys would try to break the truck in the hopes they'd get a conventional, it was a constant source of complaints among drivers, and the used trucks had almost no resale value (which is why so many of them were exported).

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 05:29:40 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs