If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: UPS Drop Frame Pups  (Read 4308 times)

Jon_G

UPS Drop Frame Pups
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »

There was a post in the New Equipment section a few months back showing what appeared to be a brand new 28' drop frame pup for UPS. However, since then I have not seen or heard any news on these apparent new to the fleet trailers. While I occasionally will see an old one still in use, they are quite rare. Has anyone seen any new ones yet?

Jon

Hank's Truck Forum

UPS Drop Frame Pups
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »

jimh721

• Regular Membership
Re: UPS Drop Frame Pups
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
I don't think they are Drop Frames, I think that is
just an air deflector.

Jim

Chris_E

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:23 AM »
Jim, someone posted a photo of a brand new drop frame pup on Facebook awhile back. Didn't really get the story on it though.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

Jon_G

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
Jim, someone posted a photo of a brand new drop frame pup on Facebook awhile back. Didn't really get the story on it though.
That's the one Chris. I remember seeing that but haven't heard anything lately. Hope they got some new ones as I do like the drop frames.

Jon

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Something just doesn't look right about the UPS straightframe pups.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Wiseguy

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
UPS did buy a few brand new drop frame pups, as I see them come in to work now and then. No idea why as all the old ones were nearly gone and they have always been a pain to unload. They are in the 3726xx-3727xx number series

PeterbiltFan377

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
I miss the older gray pup trailers UPS had with those brown Mack CH trucks pulling them across the interstate. I loved the bristles near the tires. I wonder if they will be coming back on the newer trailers.

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
I miss the drop frames too. My sister works for FDX Ground and tells me that they use the straight frame trailers for customer pickups and deliveries and use drop floors for terminal to terminal loads. Meaning after a customer p/u they return to the terminal and off load from straight frame to drop floor. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me.

PeterbiltFan377

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »
I miss the drop frames too. My sister works for FDX Ground and tells me that they use the straight frame trailers for customer pickups and deliveries and use drop floors for terminal to terminal loads. Meaning after a customer p/u they return to the terminal and off load from straight frame to drop floor. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me.

That does sound extremely inefficient. I would cut out one trailer type entirely and use it exclusively for all purposes, but that is just me.

wtd67

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »

That does sound extremely inefficient. I would cut out one trailer type entirely and use it exclusively for all purposes, but that is just me.

Most customers do not want or have the means of hand loading the package into a drop frame trailer.  It is easier for them to put the packages on a pallet and put them in the trailer.   That can't be done with a drop frame trailer. 

Most customers would never load the drop frame trailers as full as the terminals/hubs do.  It is more economical to utilize the drop frame trailers since they can hold more packages than they straight frame trailers. 

All of the trailers have to be unloaded when they return to the terminal whether they are straight or drop frame.  Most terminals load to more than one hub so the packages must be sorted upon return and they have to hold the packages that get delivered in the terminal area.  The drop frames are unloaded by putting the conveyor to the end of the rollers in the middle of the trailer and the straight trailers have the conveyor extended into the trailer.   

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
Yup, been there and done that many, many times.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs