If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: U-HAUL RENTAL TRUCKS  (Read 12670 times)

JJG

U-HAUL RENTAL TRUCKS
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »
I thought there was a thread on U-Haul but can't seem to find anything on them so here is one I have found very  interesting. This one is Canada's Moving Adventures but in the US, the same series are out there, American Moving Adventures, a  billboard collage of pictures submitted by the people who rented these at one point! Found on a 1990-98 GMC 6500 Topkick LoPro

I zoomed in on several of my favourite pictures found on the side of the box.
late 70's - mid 80's S-Series IH LoPro, quite a bit of bling here really

Lindberg's 1/87 Hi-Roller series moving truck, a 67-72 F 500-600 series

a 1971 F350, looks like a camper style, windows?? Interesting

a 1965 F 500 series

1963ish F 500

1961-62 D500, love this old unit, wonder if the panel truck is part of the u-Haul team

another '67-72 F series with a longer box

Bonus:
a '65-67ish Ford Econoline, the "extra van", love it!

a real classic, 50's Chevy Pick-up and trailer, note the pedal car on the rack with a trailer, that is just too cool!

That's it for the pics, I did have one of a 1920's truck even but it just didn't come up, still, rent this truck is what it said, been around for a long time! If you have any to add, add them in, looking forward to more classics!!

Jim

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:20:49 AM by JJG »

Hank's Truck Forum

U-HAUL RENTAL TRUCKS
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
Re: U-HAUL RENTAL TRUCKS
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:01:51 AM »
Oh it was an ADVENTURE alright  ::) ::)

At destination >:( >:(

Hmmm >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »
What a nice shade of green!

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »
Your "hmmm" is dead-on right.

We did the move-thing this last summer. Wife did all the research she could, picking a rental for one, one-way 1200 mile trip. U-Haul was discarded as a possibility real early in her search. Seems break-down on the road is all too common, without timely road-service to address that.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Ex Road Pounder

• Proud member since July 10, 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »
Those trucks must take a lot of abuse.
I used to deliver to a U Haul facility that did maintenance.
 It was usually automatic transmissions.

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Nice series you put toghether there! My dad used to rent from U-Haul, but once I was old enough to rent trucks myself, I switched to Penske. All I rent from U-Haul now are trailers.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:53 AM »
Those trucks must take a lot of abuse.
I used to deliver to a U Haul facility that did maintenance.
 It was usually automatic transmissions.

;). 10-4 on Abuse with a Capital "A"... Yes there are times I've watched a U-Haul Truck pass me by just Screaming for all it's got, knowing full well the Driver had the Transmission in to low a gear.. Why they couldn't hear that, but that is to be Expected for the most part...
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

krooser

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:59:21 PM »
I converted a '73 U-Haul F600 to a car hauler around late '89. Cut out the back of the cab, made it a walk-in, slept in Mom's attic. Hauled one car on the box and two in a 40' tag trailer. Ran coast to coast with a 359 gas engine (U-Haul app only) with a 4 speed. $2.70 per mile loaded (90K loaded miles my first year) … 8-10 mpg depending on the road… $12,000 investment.

Quit in '91 when the competition cut their rates because of the poor collector car market prices. I quit rather than work too cheap.

Got some pix here somewhere...

JJG

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »
Sounds like a clever gig you had going for sure Krooser, all good things come to an end they say!! pictures would be cool! Was it an enclosed carrier trailer with classic cars?

Jim.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 06:41:04 AM »
I converted a '73 U-Haul F600 to a car hauler around late '89. Cut out the back of the cab, made it a walk-in, slept in Mom's attic. Hauled one car on the box and two in a 40' tag trailer. Ran coast to coast with a 359 gas engine (U-Haul app only) with a 4 speed. $2.70 per mile loaded (90K loaded miles my first year) … 8-10 mpg depending on the road… $12,000 investment.

Quit in '91 when the competition cut their rates because of the poor collector car market prices. I quit rather than work too cheap.

Got some pix here somewhere...

;) Few years back something that tweaked my Interest if The Clock was Turned back Far enough and was looking for a Change in Job Description.. The lad that came to pickup the Son's Motorcycle to be Transported from Eastern Ontario to Edmonton.. Ford Diesel Dually , 5th Wheel , Gooseneck Trailer.. He was coming back from the Maritimes making his way to Southern Ontario, to finish Loading then Westward 1st Stop Regina.. He had enough work with 3 major motorcycle brands that had a network of Bike Shops across the Country right to Vancouver.. Wintertime he was primarily moving Stock Around... Point is he was making the Miles... ::)
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:16 PM »

krooser

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
My brother was in the Euro/vintage car sales deal… he had a sugar daddy with $$$$ who financed their deal. That guy also owned several restoration shops across the country. I hauled for them almost exclusively… car shows, auctions, repair shops, etc. My contract read my rate was .60 per mile if the car was a project, auction beater, late model, etc. The fancy stuff that needed to be hauled enclosed was .90 cpm… all rates were based on a three car load. I quit when Mr. Moneybags wanted me to haul cheap because he was upside down in some $1,000,000 cars and he thought i should share the pain… I didn't think I should so I parked the truck.

JJG

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 11:53:46 PM »
My brother was in the Euro/vintage car sales deal… he had a sugar daddy with $$$$ who financed their deal. That guy also owned several restoration shops across the country. I hauled for them almost exclusively… car shows, auctions, repair shops, etc. My contract read my rate was .60 per mile if the car was a project, auction beater, late model, etc. The fancy stuff that needed to be hauled enclosed was .90 cpm… all rates were based on a three car load. I quit when Mr. Moneybags wanted me to haul cheap because he was upside down in some $1,000,000 cars and he thought i should share the pain… I didn't think I should so I parked the truck.

Awesome!! Or bad, either way, why work for those guys who have it all but don't want to keep the deal going hey!

Jim

funcruise

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:56 PM »
We used to have an old saying....Its better to sit than be a busy fool..

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:56 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs