If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Scanned negatives from 15 years ago ( spring & summer 2000)  (Read 67013 times)

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
Scanned negatives from 15 years ago ( spring & summer 2000)
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »
I have posted in the forum scanned pics  taken here and there from my beginning in truck spotting. This time I plan to be more inclusive   and I have started to scan all my negatives.  It can happen that some pics may have been    ever   posted but  it would be to long to check that. So I ask to excuse me if that happen.  Pics were taken with a 20 years old Nikkormat FT3 with a 50mm lens and a 2X extender.  Films were at the beginning  100ASA . So it was not the best equipment  to catch moving trucks specially in  low light. And vibration reduction ( VR) was unknown then.  We have seen a revolution with the  photography  material in the last 15 years.

I plan to post lots of 15 years old pics in this thread if there is interest for that.

Let start with pics taken  in the area of the St-Nicolas truck stop in April of 2000.

Belmire was a temperature controlled fleet based in the Montreal area. There were sold  in the following years to an Ontario  company and I guess melted in their fleet.

Demers Express was an old Quebec fleet. They were taken over in 1989 by Cameron-Ashley, a building material distributor , and became their private fleet.  Cameron-Ashley have changed hands a few time in the 2000 and at the end the last owners  have decided to ceased to use a private fleet.

Cooney is  still an important Ontario fleet. They are based in Brandford.

Real Grondin was an important sawmill located in  Beauce County. They had a private fleet of about 30 trucks, all of them Mack. Problem with the lumber industry have cause the fall of the company. For years after their green and gold Mack CH were seen here and there in other  fleets in Quebec and Ontario.

Brookville Carriers are from St-John NB. I can't remember if they were already member of the Contrans group then.

Daily Motor Express were based in Mississauga. Not long after , they were taken over by Transforce.  Over the years they were  associated with other TFI divisions and  few years ago we lost sight of them. Maybe they were melted with TST Overland or/and Kingsway.

As a bonus, a pic published in an issue of 1972 of Bulldog Magazine of the Demers Express fleet.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:47:38 PM by G. Laplante »

Hank's Truck Forum

Scanned negatives from 15 years ago ( spring & summer 2000)
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »

JJG

Re: Scanned negatives from 15 years ago ( spring & summer 2000)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »
Oh yeah Gerard, definitely interest on my part!! Great pictures, memories I guess, which is too bad to see so many gone! Colours really are awesome too! Lookin forward to more of these! The Mack fleet is sharp!

Jim.

Jon_G

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:20:29 PM »

I always enjoy seeing your scanned pics Gerard, it is really interesting to see what trucking looked like and how much it has changed in the past
10-15 years. In response to your question about Brookville, by this time they were part of what was then known as Laidlaw Carriers' group of companies. Brookville originally had blue tractors and white trailers, but adopted the Laidlaw colors (which were the old Dunford colors) back in either the very late 1990's or early 2000. They're still listed on the Contrans website, but Contrans was in the process of consolidating their divisions when they were bought by Transforce within the past year, or at least there was an offer of purchase made.

Jon

werkhorse

• Global Moderator
    • TruckMadPeople
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:17:13 AM »
Hi Gerard, please post as many as you can. Even 15 years ago is quickly becoming history.

Mackinac359

• Red Oval obsessed for over 35 years!
    • Tims Trucks - The Obsession
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:23:24 AM »

Yes, please post more!   What he said !

"Hi Gerard, please post as many as you can. Even 15 years ago is quickly becoming history."

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
Small correction, Belleville. Cooney is based in Belleville. They do have a terminal in Brantford.
Daily disappeared; probably into Kingsway.
I thought Belmire disappeared into Transforce too.
Brookville, AFIK, remains alive as Contrans eastern Canadian flatdeck company.
What I saw recently is that Contrans will be owned by Transforce but remain an independent operating company.
We shall have to see how it all pans out.
Very nice pictures as the others have stated.

Rob

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
I love the old pictures as well!!  Keep up the great work Gerard!

R. Buron

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »
Go ahead Gérard it will be fascinating and at the same time you give us the opportunity to revisit the evolution of the transport
sector.

About Daily, it was mergered with Select as a new Transforce division in 2004 or 2005

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/rene_buron/2006/apr/file0006.jpg

and integrated into Kingsway few years later.

About Belmire Transport, it was sold to Atlas Cold Store somewhere in the first half of the 2000 decade and close down by
Atlas in 2008.

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:44:14 PM »
Thank's guys for your comments and the  additional details you have added.  All informations are welcomed.

Here is another series taken in the Quebec City area in late April 2000.   If you don't mind, once in a while I may add a bonus pic from my collection. Some of those bonus have not been taken by me but  can add some more informations to the posting.

Select Express was taken over by Transforce in the beginning of the 2000.  Some others Transforme acquisitions ( Japiro, L'Islet  for instance) were melted in Select
over the years.  By the middle of the decade, Select & Daily were put together. After a while the name Daily was dropped and replaced by Thibodeau.  After a short period of time both Select and Thibodeau names were dropped and their assets transferred to Kingsway and TST Overland. A tumultuous live for the drivers.

Midland is an old carrier based in Dieppe NB.  Around 2000, it seem that most of their trucks were FLiner FLD 120 .  The fleet is more diversified today. 

Mill Creek Motor Freight is based in Cambridge ON. Since 1999 they are a division of the Mullen Group from Alberta.

Ronado is a small fleet based in Riviere-du-Loup Qc. They may take a great care of their trucks since they keep them for a long period of time.

Transport FT ( Fidele Tremblay ) is based in Luceville , East of Rimouski.  This family business have been in business for about a half century. Their livery is a legacy of the Kenworth they were using in the seventies. More informations with the bonus pic.

Leo Labelle is a small fleet based in Bearns in Quebec NorthWest ( Abitibi ).  Less than 800 units were made of those Pete 372 between 1988-1993.

The following pic come from the Tremblay family archives. This pic present the KW on the fleet at the end of the seventies.  Those trucks were hauling lumber to the USA for the Luceville Lumber Company ( Lulumco ).  Another part of the fleet were hauling wood chips to a mill in the Quebec City area. Most of the trucks in this division were COE. By the middle of the eighties they have switched to Freightliner and a few years later the wood chips division was sold. Today the fleet have about 50 trucks including a  heavy haul division.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
I really enjoy these photos from 15 years ago Gerard since you and i started taking truck pics at approximately the same time. :) To look back at these photos now is just amazing...........the way the industry has changed, the companies that are no more and the equipment that has both disappeared and evolved over the years.  :o By all means keep this thread going until spring comes and the weather is nice enough for you to hit the road again. ;D

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21:16 PM »
Awesome MillCreek photo, I really liked those stripes.  Cool thing about Transport Ronado, I bet that same truck and trailer are still running today!

JJG

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 11:01:19 PM »
Love the Tremblay fleet and the Ronado FLD

Jim.

gjljr727

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »
I can't get enough of your scans!

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
Awesome MillCreek photo, I really liked those stripes.  Cool thing about Transport Ronado, I bet that same truck and trailer are still running today!

Thought the same thing about Ronado's FLD!!!!
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

G. Laplante

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »

Thought the same thing about Ronado's FLD!!!!

This Ronado FLD seem to be unit 95230 ( 1995 ). I have not seen it laterly but he can still be used for  local work.  In the last few months I have seem some of their Freightliner  from 1997-98-99 and 2000  still working on transborder  hauls.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs