If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Grandma's Truck Stuff  (Read 6211 times)

cowcruzer

• Regular Membership
  • 🐮🐮🐮🐮
Grandma's Truck Stuff
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
October was a pretty tough month. I lost mom on the 5th and my grandma on the 16th. We're starting to sort everything out now and it's pretty amazing what's been held onto for all these years. I'll post here as I take pics of things I think you guys will enjoy.

First is a whole bunch of different service manuals. The White Freightliner one has hand written notes in the front about how dad wanted the interior of his 72. The gold colored KW book is the build sheet for grandpa's '74 cabover.

Hank's Truck Forum

Grandma's Truck Stuff
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »

norseman

• Administrator
Re: Grandma's Truck Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »
Sorry for your loss! Sounds like a hard month indeed... :(  But man, what a bunch of cool stuff!!!

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Gonna be tough holidays for you folks this year.

But rest assured, she'd be ever so glad, about how much you appreciate those things she took the time to save, & didn't toss out. As I'm certain you know, you had a great Mom & Grandma.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Gonna be tough holidays for you folks this year.

But rest assured, she'd be ever so glad, about how much you appreciate those things she took the time to save, & didn't toss out. As I'm certain you know, you had a great Mom & Grandma.

;) X 2.... Sorry for Your Loss Cowcruzer...
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

cowcruzer

• Regular Membership
  • 🐮🐮🐮🐮
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:06:22 AM »
Thanks guys.

Being a trucking family they were big into cb radio and the I-90 Control club. I believe they were the 4th ones to join. I have daily logs that my grandma kept of who she talked to from their base station. If any of you old timers ever talked to Night Owl in central South Dakota, that was grandma. Looking back through all of that stuff is a reminder of how big cb radio used to be and how seriously everyone treated it. Heck even Evel Knievel was a member of I-90 Control, I was pretty excited when I saw his membership number and old mailing address in Butte MT yesterday.

Anyways, here's a few old cb cards that she kept. If anyone recognizes any of the handles please add any info you can as this was before my time.

jViking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:15:38 AM »
Sorry to hear of the losses in your life recently, you have a good collection of service manuals there. some cool  QSL  cb'er cards something you rarely see anymore, I have a good stack of QSL which I pull out and browse sometimes,,, 99% of cards  I inherited  it included a John Wayne QSL card,, which was very elaborate design from most QSL,,, CB'ing was a huge hobby for a lot of people....

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:51:49 AM »
Sorry to hear of the losses in your life recently, you have a good collection of service manuals there. some cool  QSL  cb'er cards something you rarely see anymore, I have a good stack of QSL which I pull out and browse sometimes,,, 99% of cards  I inherited  it included a John Wayne QSL card,, which was very elaborate design from most QSL,,, CB'ing was a huge hobby for a lot of people....

10-4 on big-time in the CB-era!

Out away from civilization, CB could literally make a difference between life & death. In the early days, the FCC (Charlie, as they were referred to) emphatically resented citizens using "THEIR" air-ways, until after many years, they finally just gave up. But during that time, anything above a certain number of output was a big no-no.

However again, knowing the magic words made lots of difference. One guy had his huge illegal linear amplifier, mounted in plain view, right beside the driver's-seat, with the stick-on lettering (from the popular-at-the-time lapel-maker), which stated, "For Emergency Use Only". FCC asked for his explanation & was told, "That's for when I come up to a bad car wreck in the middle of Wyoming, & I'm the 1st one there!". They sadly shook there heads, & left him alone.

I knew of at least 2 railroad crew members who also joined the CB world back then. A WP or SP engineer who ran west from Ogden across the Salt Flats (he'd be 90 miles away, & sound like he was in our convoy) & an ATSF freight-train conductor in the Texas panhandle.

If you don't ask, they can't say no.

jViking

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
Think I have a QSL card from a train engineer who ran a CB in the Locomote, believe his handle was Sliver Chief,,,, had a lot of fun back in the day w/ thee old Radid-eo's

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs