If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: International Transtar Photo Lineage from Doug McKenzie  (Read 77219 times)

Aaron from PA & NC

• rollin down the road of life
Re: International Transtar Photo Lineage from Doug McKenzie
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »
Is it my eyes or is that muffler really big?

its called the diesel particulate filter(dpf), and they build the muffler within' the dpf, so yeah you could say the muffler is that big

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
Doug McKenzie assembled this International Transtar Photo History :-)
The photos and captions are his: :wink:
The mistakes are likely mine: :-D

Transtar Lineage.
Began in 1965 with the introduction of the CO-4000, replacing the highly successful DCO-400 Series "Emeryville".
Pictured here is a single-axle non-sleeper CO-4000 from Adams Transport, Toronto Ontario.
Saddle-style fuel tanks are customer-specified, in this case the tractor is a former Direct-Winters Transport unit. Direct traded their whole fleet of these units around 1974. Ford dealers were selling them for about $2500 Cdn.
8V-71 Detroit engines, 10speed Roadranger transmissions.

1967 CO-4000 sleeper.
Pretty much standard appearance for the model of that time.
Note that there is no luggage compartment door on passenger side.
This one was powered with a 238 Detroit, 10-speed Roadranger and a long, 157-inch wheelbase.
Ended it's days haulling cattle from Wellington County Ontario until an electrical short set fire to it and it was destroyed.
At the time of the picture, in October 1972, the truck had over 700,000 miles on it.

CO-F4070A Transtar was we know it.

This one was a pretty stylish unit for it's time, 1974.
Royal Designs of Scarborough Ontario used a small fleet of 3 of these.

Probably the most unusual member of the Transtar family would be the Unistar.

Conceived as a "Universal" tractor, the Unistar was unqiue in that it did not have a transfer case - instead it used an over-running clutch in the drive-line which, when the rear axle began to slip, the clutch would automatically engage the front axle.
Photographed here in 1970, between an I-H pick-up and an 800 Scout (anyone remember them?) is one of the early production units at I-H's Toronto Sales Branch in downtown Toronto.

Second view of the Unistar shows the 73-inch BBC day cab, enlarged air filter, inaccurate nameplate on the door - it reads Transtar - step pocket below the door and unique design to the front fenders.
This style of fender panel did not last long.

Colours are medium metallic blue and white, the same colours which Hanky posted earlier to get this topic rolling.

To handle the increasing power of bigger engines, ie: the 1673T/TA Cat, Cummins NTC Series and 8V-71T Detroit, International raised the Transtar cab by 5 inches, giving more room under the cab.
In this picture of a Ryder-owned 74-inch BBC tractor, the increased height in the cab is noticed by the filler panel below the door nameplate.
Gill Truck Plaza, Berneires Quebec, 1973.

Brand-new, awaiting an owner at the Woodbine Truck Centre, Markham Ontario in 1973.
Chrome bulet lights, chrome grille and the double bumper unique to the high-powered Transtars.
Painted in light metallic blue and white, this one was well appointed on the inside with a maroon/red interior.

Dual exhaust stacks, double bumper and the filer panel under the cab painted black  - this one is a 4090A Super Transtar, powered by a 12V-71 Detroit.

Berneires Quebec, September 1973.

Transtar 2 as we know it.

Triad Truck Lease, at Scarborough Ontario in the fall of 1975.

Transtar 2 truck and trailer.
Leamington Ontario, 1981.

And then there's this oddity .....
76-inch BBC Transtar 2 from Cronin Transport onto which it's owner has tack the front end of the CO-9670.

Final evolution in the Transtar .... the CO-9670.
Other than the regular box cab-over cab, family styling cues can be found in the grille and the windshield.
Tractor trailer and antiques are owned by the Tackaberry family of Athens Ontario.

the old yellow Interational - one like this was used in a Burt Renylds movie called "hooper"
See you on down the road jack!!

seventiestrucker

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »
Yes but it was the Transtar II.
There were trucks like the Pineapple out of Denver along with Carol Smith and his big black pete w/ a KTA600, The Monfort gang (Monfort Lane) ,Cantrell out of Mo. w/his wicked 359 3408 cat and all his friends, Frank Frazer and his small bunk, big KTA 600.

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
Doug McKenzie assembled this International Transtar Photo History :-)
The photos and captions are his: :wink:
The mistakes are likely mine: :-D

Transtar Lineage.
Began in 1965 with the introduction of the CO-4000, replacing the highly successful DCO-400 Series "Emeryville".
Pictured here is a single-axle non-sleeper CO-4000 from Adams Transport, Toronto Ontario.
Saddle-style fuel tanks are customer-specified, in this case the tractor is a former Direct-Winters Transport unit. Direct traded their whole fleet of these units around 1974. Ford dealers were selling them for about $2500 Cdn.
8V-71 Detroit engines, 10speed Roadranger transmissions.

1967 CO-4000 sleeper.
Pretty much standard appearance for the model of that time.
Note that there is no luggage compartment door on passenger side.
This one was powered with a 238 Detroit, 10-speed Roadranger and a long, 157-inch wheelbase.
Ended it's days haulling cattle from Wellington County Ontario until an electrical short set fire to it and it was destroyed.
At the time of the picture, in October 1972, the truck had over 700,000 miles on it.

CO-F4070A Transtar was we know it.

This one was a pretty stylish unit for it's time, 1974.
Royal Designs of Scarborough Ontario used a small fleet of 3 of these.

Probably the most unusual member of the Transtar family would be the Unistar.

Conceived as a "Universal" tractor, the Unistar was unqiue in that it did not have a transfer case - instead it used an over-running clutch in the drive-line which, when the rear axle began to slip, the clutch would automatically engage the front axle.
Photographed here in 1970, between an I-H pick-up and an 800 Scout (anyone remember them?) is one of the early production units at I-H's Toronto Sales Branch in downtown Toronto.

Second view of the Unistar shows the 73-inch BBC day cab, enlarged air filter, inaccurate nameplate on the door - it reads Transtar - step pocket below the door and unique design to the front fenders.
This style of fender panel did not last long.

Colours are medium metallic blue and white, the same colours which Hanky posted earlier to get this topic rolling.

To handle the increasing power of bigger engines, ie: the 1673T/TA Cat, Cummins NTC Series and 8V-71T Detroit, International raised the Transtar cab by 5 inches, giving more room under the cab.
In this picture of a Ryder-owned 74-inch BBC tractor, the increased height in the cab is noticed by the filler panel below the door nameplate.
Gill Truck Plaza, Berneires Quebec, 1973.

Brand-new, awaiting an owner at the Woodbine Truck Centre, Markham Ontario in 1973.
Chrome bulet lights, chrome grille and the double bumper unique to the high-powered Transtars.
Painted in light metallic blue and white, this one was well appointed on the inside with a maroon/red interior.

Dual exhaust stacks, double bumper and the filer panel under the cab painted black  - this one is a 4090A Super Transtar, powered by a 12V-71 Detroit.

Berneires Quebec, September 1973.

Transtar 2 as we know it.

Triad Truck Lease, at Scarborough Ontario in the fall of 1975.

Transtar 2 truck and trailer.
Leamington Ontario, 1981.

And then there's this oddity .....
76-inch BBC Transtar 2 from Cronin Transport onto which it's owner has tack the front end of the CO-9670.

Final evolution in the Transtar .... the CO-9670.
Other than the regular box cab-over cab, family styling cues can be found in the grille and the windshield.
Tractor trailer and antiques are owned by the Tackaberry family of Athens Ontario.

I remember seeing a ryder truck like this one in a movie

RD600_Mack

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
Thats an Awesome Job You did on The International Transtar COEs Doug  :-D :-D Congratulations  :-D :-D

Hanky

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2008, 02:23:12 AM »
Public Freightways in B.C. bought 6 International (Unistar) :?, 4 wheel drive trucks. These were to run the Fraser Canyon and the Hope-Princeton.  They did not work out at all.  Just not enough truck for the # of axles on the trailers they were pulling. 4 trucks crashed and Public lost 3 drivers, and sold the other 2 trucks.

Hanky

ddot430

• Regular Membership
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2008, 10:08:58 AM »
international cabover - rate up there with 379 petes

caboverking

cabover collection
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2008, 01:39:34 AM »
 :-) Hi, I have a 14 and still  growing cabover collection. I think this is the best web site ever. My collection ranges from 1968 to 1987. I'm not real good with computers so I'll try to put pictures on. I Have 2 early Dodge's, 2 GMC Astro's, 1975 Ford W 9000, 1972 White 7400, 1973 Frieghtliner, 1979 Transtar, 3 Kenworth K100's, 2 Pete 352's, and a Pete 362. Like I Said great web site keep up the good work eveyone.

DIESEL-FUMES

• "FOREVER A FIFTH WHEEL FREAK"
    • Family Story
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »

Ok heres my first question about my new toy. On the dash there is a gauge that says "Fuel pressure". Then right below it is a knob that pulls out. almost seems like you can pump it, but I'm not sure since I haven't used it. Does any one know what it is and how to use it. My 74 transtar has the 300 Cummings.
Truck Pictures by Terry W.

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/Sams%20page.htm

"Preserving The History of Trucking Through Photography"

wig wag

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 08:09:10 AM »
This is a cold weather starting aid.  If you look at the intake manifold there will be a #4 air line
that is hooked up to a fuel atomizer. right beside it there should be what looks like a glow plug.
There should be a switch to turn on the glow plug. You pump up the fuel and it spreys onto the
hot glow plug while you crank the engine.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »
Here's a fixer upper i finally got to photograph after passing it by for at least 10 years.  :-) It's For Sale for $3500 and it's sitting in a company yard in Howell NJ. 1978 Transtar II single axle, rebuilt 13 speed 350 Cummins with 12,000 miles on it. Sadly most of the damage has occurred since the truck's been in this yard.

Chase

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
very cool pics man

ive always liked those old transtars :mrgreen:

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2008, 01:18:18 AM »
Hey Doug, hope you don't mind me posting these on this thread, first time.

1986 IH 9670 I spotted the other day, belongs to a local farmer, ex Triline truck.

The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
A little unimportant detail, but still: does anyone know why IH went from windshield wipers mounted at the bottom of the windshield to wipers mounted at the top on the Transtar 2?

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Leonard

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »
jan im not sure but i sure think that they did a better job at clearing more of the windshield
its a binder thing you just wouldnt get it...

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs