If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: The Secured Freight haulers  (Read 2045 times)

Bad Habit Rabbit

• Regular Membership
  • Bad Habit Rabbit
The Secured Freight haulers
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »
 My wife and I drove for Diablo Trucking out of Byron Hot springs, back in '96. They had just sold out to a company that was attempting to buy as many of the old companies as possible, and had acquired TSMT, Lucas, Diablo and at least one other, I fergit. The new consortium was called TRISM. The problem was that a bunch of people that were from the old Tri-State  (TSMT) company, including one Ray Pence, in Joplin, were not too enthused about the new owners. Neither was a guy named Daryl Diel. So, with the help of Jim Kidd,(Diablo) and Daryl's money, they bought a small explosives company out of Georgia some where, R&R trucking.R&R's new  mission statement was to put TRISM out of business. when TRISM folded, Daryl sold R&R, NEI, and ATT, which were Jim Kidd's babies. Almost all of the team and small fleet owners had come over to R&R, as did my wife and I. They were not without problems, especially if you were not a friend of the primaries, (mostly from Joplin.) They that were, were called the Dream Teams. They hogged  all of the 3000 mi runs, drop and hooks and other cushy deals, and us "outsiders" of the in crowd sucked left tit, to put it mildly. Cookie and A Bad Habit Rabbit gave it all up, because of pathetic treatment we got from them. I worked a year for Corn Flake, then my wife and I hired as a team with Watkins Motor lines.(WE LOVED THEM) More on the history as I recall it, some other time, my bed is screaming at me, and will attack if I don't jump in it and hold it down!
Bad Habit Rabbit

Hank's Truck Forum

The Secured Freight haulers
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »

hwyhaulier

Re: The Secured Freight haulers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:39:21 AM »
Bad Habit Rabbit - Lodge Members -

HEY! W E L C O M E from your writer, esp. if no one has said so before...

Thanks for your comments in "...whatever became of TSMT of Joplin...". Old friend of mine
has tried to explain this to me. TSMT (Joplin), at least on paper, bought by an unknown
from Georgia.

Your writer has been at it so long that... My work as an 'ICC Man' for the late 'Corn Flakes'
System. We were bickering all the time with TSMT, and its Applications for ICC Authority.
We all knew the fix was in, and TSMT favored by US DoD, and others. The long ago Joplin
crowd knew how to do it right...

...........................Vern........................

Bad Habit Rabbit

• Regular Membership
  • Bad Habit Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
     Tri-State Motor Transit, Lucas, Diablo, Willis were purchased by a group of investors with the idea that if they had multiple authorities, the DOD would grant loads to each of the companies that they owned. Apparently the Gov't did not see it that way, so TRISM only got one load for TRISM and not for each company. Note that the son of Salt Lake Trucking, Michael Norton, worked for TRISM and I knew him too.
  The Georgia connection is most likely about R&R, not TSMT. That was a little hauler (Rastus and Ramos or something equally as funky) from Georgia. This was (and may be still) the name behind R&R Trucking. It was purchased with Daryl Diel's money (Joplin) for the permits, and run by Ray Pence and Jim Kidd, both of whom I knew personally. R&R's mission statement was to "put TRISM out of business". Once they succeeded, TSMT bought themselves back, and Daryl sold R&R, which includes NEI and ATT, both of which were Jim KIdd had put together. My intel on that deal was the new owners gave Jim a corner office with a view and disconnected computers. His assignment was to "stay out of our business", in the running of R&R. He died within six months.
 As far as TSMT goes , they were and are the model for explosives, and used to have their own hotels and safe havens, in their yards, generally close to the highest volume bases.
Bad Habit Rabbit

hwyhaulier

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
Bad Habit Rabbit - Lodge Members -

Thanks! Back on another planet, and in another life I guess, the Corn Flakes bickering with
TSMT (Joplin) endless. IMHO, a prevailing suspicion that the TSMT 'fix' was in at very highest
levels of the Pentagon (DoD), at least.

Another player which had it figured, and played the game, the old International Transport
of Upper Midwest base. (It was  not Fargo. Another pointed out its G.O. was in MN.) It
active in 'Radioactive and Nuclear' moves. It also required friends in high places. On the ICC
work, it with a superb Attorney, Alan Foss of Fargo. He and I had some bickering while he
had me on the stand at an ICC Proceeding. (Made for good comic relief!) Sadly, Alan Foss
passed on a while back. It would have been nice had your writer caught up with him,
years ex post facto...

...............................Vern...........................

Bad Habit Rabbit

• Regular Membership
  • Bad Habit Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »
  Are you familiar with Clean Harbors? They seem to have cornered the entire hazardous waste market. SLT used to haul for them, and they now seem to own everything that was built and owned by a bunch of different companies in the '70's.
Bad Habit Rabbit

hwyhaulier

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 06:16:14 AM »
Bad Habit Rabbit - All -

'Clean Harbors'? NAH! Don't know much of anything about them. Guess some checking around on
the 'Net would fill in much? It is classic '...follow the money...' pursuit? Who really owns them?

..............................Vern.........................

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 06:16:14 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs