If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Author Topic: My Worse Trip Ever  (Read 2379 times)

RobG

My Worse Trip Ever
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
I just wanted to share the story about the worst trip I have ever had.It was one of those trips that everything went wrong,to the point that the owners wife thought I was going to quit went I got back.I was working for Rainbow Transport out of Edmonton at the time,probably about 1991 or so.They had a seperate company at that time that ran under the name Randall& David.I did a lot of work for Randall&David ,which was mainly super B deck work into B.C.It started on a winter Saturday night.The yard workers had loaded and tarped a super B load of used batteries headed for Richmond,a trip that I had made a few times before.The problem started when they added a large used water pump to the load.The pump came from Diashowa Pulp in Peace River and was also going to Richmond.I decided to scale the load as I had no load gauge on the truck and the trailers were spring ride.Sure enough I was a 1000kgs heavy on the drives.I phoned one of the brothers that owned the cmpany and was told the scale must be wrong so just go with it.I had little experience so I listened to him,away I went.When I got to the Hinton eastbound scale I decided to scale the load again and sure enough heavy on the drives.So I head back into Hinton and come up with a plan to head to the lumber mill.They were great guys and were more than willing to help out.After spending the better part of the night I was finally legal.Now I had a problem with my tarps,because we had to double stack some of the batteries  my tarps didn't fit anymore.They really wanted these loads tarped so Sunday morning I am trying to find a tarp in Hinton.I ended up paying a callout from a local parts place and got a small blue plastic tarp so I was good to go.I make it down to Richmond unload the batteries and now have the pump.My dispatch paper just said River Road so I phone a friend for help.He tells me it is in Delta so I head for Delta.After driving around in circles for a while and not finding the place I make a few more phonecalls.Turns out the River Road I wnt is in Richmond a couple blocks away from where I unloaded the batteries.Appearantly there are more than one River Roads.Ok I get that done,phone in to find out what I am loading coming back.The only thing they can find is a load of steel coils for West Rim heading for Calgary.My boss wasn't to happy about this because the tires on my truck were worn down and due to be changed.I told him as long as I had chains I would be okay.I had never loaded steel coils before nor was I equiped to load them,all I had with me was load straps.Randall & David then makes arrangements for me to get chains and boomers from West Rim so I head to their yard grab them then head to the docks.Now when you load on the docks they are not helpful at all.I told them I had never loaded steel coils before and didn't know where to put them,too bad. They said it was up to me to put them where I wanted them to go.So I did the best that I could.No scales on the dock so I tarped the load and took off.I went to the nearby government scales,which were fortunately closed,to find out I was heavy again.The docks were now done for the day so I was screwed.I called the office and was told to be at West Rim's yard in the morning.Next morning I was told there was nothing they could do to help me and sent me to Lions Gate Trailer.They had an overhead crane so a couple hours later I was legal.The irritating part was they were open until midnight so I could have had this job done the night before.I make it back to Kamloops and the weather starts turning bad,sure enough I spin out on the Chase hill.I was stuck on the hill with a bunch of other trucks so I wasn't alone.I finally made it to the top but with lack of experience I tore up my chains.The next morning I phone in and relay my story.I am told to head to KalTire in Salmon Arm and get a new set of chains.When I get there I find out the boss lined up a set of winter tires for my truck to go with my new chains,so that was great.After that everything goes good until I get to the Golden Scale.I get parked after rolling across and the only thing he wants to see is my inspection sheet.I grab it from the truck and find out I am three days overdue,something I should have caught but missed.I tell the guy that I am sure they just did it so he says if they fax him a copy I would be good to go.I phone the shop and explain my situation to the mechanic on duty.The inspection sheets are in the foremans office and he is gone for the day.They try to track him down but couldn't find him so the mechanic ends up breaking into the office.He writes one up and faxes the scale and the scale guy was happy.I was on my way.The rest of the trip was uneventful and I made it back to Edmonton okay.That was a trip I will never forget.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:07:33 PM by RobG »

Hank's Truck Forum

My Worse Trip Ever
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »

JJG

Re: My Worse Trip Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:00:31 AM »
Sounds familiar Rob, we all have/had them. I think a lot of it is to do with younger drivers, like you say, not knowing, you go with the flow really making your own problems in some way!! If it weren't for the bad ones, we wouldn't know what goods trips were? ::)

Jim

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:35:28 AM »
Good story about a bad trip.
Sounds like it was learning on the job how to handle problems that were thrown at you.
I gather that flowing commodities into tanks is easier than stuff on flat decks.

Rob.

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 05:04:43 AM »
Wow...........a rookie has to learn a lot just by doing it himself i guess and 20 some odd years later all that stuff would be second nature to you Rob. :) Good story & i enjoyed it. ;)

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:36:58 AM »
I sure hated it real bad when a trip went that way. Always seemed like, once it started doing so, it just kept getting worse. Like a little contest, "We'll find out how much this guy can put up with!".

And, it seemed that often you could see more crud coming when that happened. Have often thought, what if I'd just turned around when that crud 1st began, so the rest waiting to happen couldn't occur.

When that happened, would usually start wishing I could just wake up, & find it was all a bad dream.

Miss the old-days-trucking & the guys I ran with real bad, but every once in a while, I'll get a dream that soon becomes a nightmare of events like this. I'll dream I got my truck again, got her running, got a load, & then sit in a dismal loading-dock yard at the agreed-upon appointment-time, never getting to back into a door. Checking in over & again, only to get excuse after excuse about why they won't let me unload.

Nice now that I can actually wake up from that situation, & avoid the it-just-gets-worse parts.

Thanks for sharing. Think a lot of us could use the Neurolizer thing from "Men In Black". Loved trucking with all my heart, but there's some memories we'd rather not have.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

RobG

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »
It is a story I have wanted to tell for a long time.I am glad you enjoyed it.I would say I definitaly learned a lot from that trip.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
Reminds me of the time I came out of Catoosa with a mobile cement plant job trailer. Backfed the charge so bad through pig-tail that the cab lights started flickering and burning out. Babied a set of tires that were so far shot you wouldn't believe, flat tire on the drives.

Meanwhile the guy I was running with had a storage pig on 17-inch camper rims and tires. Every tire was new by the time it got to Denver. Two new rims, also, when two on the same side blew out. CB conversation went like this:

Me: "How's it looking?"

Him: "Not good, I see sparks."

Had to wait to the next day for the tire shop to open. That's when we found my flat on the drives.

Other guy comes rolling up to the tire shop with the pig rolling on two of four tires, running right along the rims on the other side.

So happened the local sheriff was at the tire shop as he came rolling up. Sparks flying, leaving a good mark on the road.

Sheriff just laughed a bit, "hope you guys trip gets better."

Got to the point, when I called back to home base, they just started asking, "What happened this time???"

3 days to cover 700-miles. Got held up near Oakley on the way back in when a bad storm blew in. My trailer would make it, but, his wasn't going to stay up-right in 50-mph winds and torrential rain.

And you don't leave the other guy behind.

Troy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:44:31 PM by coloradogreen »
OWNER-OPERATOR

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »
Makes me glad I pull vans on flat ground!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

RobG

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
I thought I would tell you about another trip I made that I hope you will enjoy.This trip happened when I first started driving ,either the fall of 1987 or spring of 1988.At the time I was working for T and T Trucking and still working in the shop and taking any spare trips I could.This particular day they asked me if I would take one of the old Kenworths and head up to St Paul and Bonnyville.They were both about two hours from Edmonton so after working in the shop all day I head up to St Paul for the night.The fun started the next morning.I shut the truck off while unloading then when I go to restart it there was nothing.So a call to dispatch they tell me to get a tow truck to pull start me .Another problem was I lost my air in the old truck so I needed a tire truck to air me up.I was told to call the office for a VISA card number to pay for this.All I had in my pockets was twenty dollars.So when the tire truck shows up he airs me up and wants ten dollars so I just pay him.Then the tow truck shows up and pull starts me.Well he also wants ten dollars so I think about it for a minute ,all I have to do after this is go to Bonnyville then home so I give him my last ten dollars.Lets stop and think about that ,$10 for a pull start from a tow truck!!,nowadays I don't think they answer the phone for $10.Anyways I am back on the road with empty pockets and on my way.I unload in Bonnyville,leave the old truck running so no problem.About half hour from Bonnyville on my way I start having more problems.The truck is smoking really bad and seeming like to be on it's last legs.Sure enough,it dies on me just by the entrance to a little town called Malliag. Unfortnately the town is a couple kms off the highway so I need a ride.no problem ,open the hood and someone stops.I get to town make a call for a tow truck but it will be a couple hours.Here I am dirty because I was working on the truck,carrying my travel bag because I couldn't lock the truck and no money.Obviously no debit back then and no bank machine in this little town.I felt like a homeless person.It was too cold to hang out outside so I went to the local restaurant and just sat by myself,couldn't even get a coffee.After a bit I decided to walk back to the truck but it was cold, surpisingly someone stops and gives me a ride.When I get back to the truck I realise this was a mistake ,it was too cold to stay there so catch a ride back to town.Ended up sitting in the local restaurant for a couple hours before the tow truck shows up,once again not able to get anything.Learned a big lesson that day about not ever leaving myself without money no matter how short of a trip.
this was the old truck I was driving,found out after the trip the shop knew it was on it's last legs but didn't tell me.They were not surprised that it died.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:08:19 PM by RobG »

JJG

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »
The joys of the good old days Rob, we all talk about them and they were good but having means of getting cash is a big plus in modern day living!! My problem back then was even if there was a bank machine, I didn't have $20.00 to pull out of it..........yeah, the good old days!

Jim.

tery

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:58:38 PM »
I learned too , and carried enough cash to go  home if I wanted to .
- The Cabover days were the best days -

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
ATMs & cell phones made life on the road a lot easier. :)

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »