If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Classic Film On Arctic Convoy Of 11 Giant Macks on the DEW Line 1956  (Read 1174 times)

GFD

• Regular Membership

Hank's Truck Forum

NHRS

• Regular Membership
Re: Classic Film On Arctic Convoy Of 11 Giant Macks on the DEW Line 1956
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »
Wow! Thanks for posting.

Never had to heat my jack with a torch, but got close enough that had to wait a few seconds between strokes, for more cold jack-oil to trickle in. Close enough for me!
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

cowcruzer

• Regular Membership
  • 🐮🐮🐮🐮
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
Very neat! Thanks for sharing that

TXRedlined

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
Interesting video.  Little corny on the narration but fun to watch.  Got a kick out of "how tough" the weather was for the truck drivers when in the background  is a guy driving an open cab dozer.   :D

Wee Willy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:55:26 AM »
 I enjoyed it, the crew remind me of characters I've met over the years, ignited a few memories of heating things with a torch myself, jacks, oil pans, batteries, air lines, landing gear, my boots!
The first rule of the road is:
"If anything can happen, at any time, it will!"

Mister TyZo

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:08:01 AM »
I enjoyed it, the crew remind me of characters I've met over the years, ignited a few memories of heating things with a torch myself, jacks, oil pans, batteries, air lines, landing gear, my boots!

:) Yep , 1950's Plumber's Torch or Mysteriously come into possession of a pre 1950's style Roadside Flare (Ball with Thick Wick). :D
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Was fun to notice that back in those days fuel gelling up wasn't the huge problem it is today.

In mid 60's, used to cross 0-degree F Wyoming, DD pump on an NHRS (which barely returns a trickle to the tanks, so no warm-up going on there), listening to the forecast on the bit flame-thrower Casper AM station to catch the weather, in case it slides under zero. Then, might think about getting some #1 diesel to spike in with the #2.

Soon after that, Feds decided that leaving more wax in the #2 helped emissions, & gel-up time was born.

Also about that time, as a punk-kid O/O, spent my disposable income on chrome instead of expensive expendables when cheaper did the same job just as good, used #2 diesel for pricey parts cleaner solvent when doing my own brake job. Worked fine for the 1st few years. Then after a big job, washing my hands in that for 2 or 3 days, I'd get an itchy rash for several days.

One evening in a REAL diesel shop, those great guys would let me do things to my truck when I'd be out of their way, & we cleaned up for the evening. I mentioned how it was so great to use REAL solvent to wash parts, since I'd gotten sensitive to diesel fuel, & hadn't been before.

Older mechanic who'd been around a long time said, I didn't get sensitive. That happened to almost everybody when the Feds added the anti-smoke chemical to the fuel. Now if it makes your hands break out in a rash & itch, you really gotta wonder how the lungs feel about breathing that stuff....

krooser

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
Was fun to notice that back in those days fuel gelling up wasn't the huge problem it is today.

In mid 60's, used to cross 0-degree F Wyoming, DD pump on an NHRS (which barely returns a trickle to the tanks, so no warm-up going on there), listening to the forecast on the bit flame-thrower Casper AM station to catch the weather, in case it slides under zero. Then, might think about getting some #1 diesel to spike in with the #2.

Soon after that, Feds decided that leaving more wax in the #2 helped emissions, & gel-up time was born.

Also about that time, as a punk-kid O/O, spent my disposable income on chrome instead of expensive expendables when cheaper did the same job just as good, used #2 diesel for pricey parts cleaner solvent when doing my own brake job. Worked fine for the 1st few years. Then after a big job, washing my hands in that for 2 or 3 days, I'd get an itchy rash for several days.

One evening in a REAL diesel shop, those great guys would let me do things to my truck when I'd be out of their way, & we cleaned up for the evening. I mentioned how it was so great to use REAL solvent to wash parts, since I'd gotten sensitive to diesel fuel, & hadn't been before.

Older mechanic who'd been around a long time said, I didn't get sensitive. That happened to almost everybody when the Feds added the anti-smoke chemical to the fuel. Now if it makes your hands break out in a rash & itch, you really gotta wonder how the lungs feel about breathing that stuff....

KTWO AM 1030.

pons

• Life is good
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
Great film, nice find.;)
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."   Quote: Yogi Berra

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
10-4 on the KTWO! Thought I remembered the 1030 part (but not certain enough to write that) but not the letters.

unicorn

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 07:19:02 AM »
pretty cool, so to speak.

Pascal Pion

• Regular Membership
  • St Hyacinthe,Quebec,Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:31 PM »
This video  makes Hugh Rowling look like a mama's boy.....

Insane,totally insane!!
War is the terrible ransom that humanity has to pay for it's stupidity...
                  Lt Col Charly Forbes,WW2 hero
                   Maisonneuve Regiment

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:31 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs