If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: June 5 - Jackson, MN to Huron, SD  (Read 7415 times)

norseman

• Administrator
June 5 - Jackson, MN to Huron, SD
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
Well, I've arrived in Huron, ready for the Wheel Jam show this weekend. Didn't drive too far today; started pretty late from Jackson, Minnesota, and followed I-90 west to Sioux Falls, where I drove around for a bit, visiting a couple of used record stores and had lunch and so on, before heading west again on I-90, as far as Mitchell, where I pointed the Challenger's grille north towards Huron. And here I am now, at the Best Western, which will be my home for the next four nights.

I stopped for a little bit at the Des Moines River rest area just west of Jackson, but the traffic was fairly light, so I moved on after half an hour. There were a number of hog haulers, most likely en route to the big pig processing plant in Worthington, a few miles west of this spot. This 379 for V&S Trucking out of Corsica, SD was loaded with pigs, at least.

This 379 for Steve Rasche Trucking out of Heron Lake, MN, appeared to be empty.

Classy 359 for Meek Trucking out of Ft Shaw, MT.

Heading west on I-90, I hit some rather unsavory weather, and this is the reason this Potato King Transportation (La Crosse, WI) T680 is so dark.

T680 for Halvor Lines out of Superior, WI, leaving the scales on the South Dakota side.

Sharp ProStar for Harms Oil Company out of Brookings, SD.

More unsavory weather. There was some strong (though not large) hail in this storm, but it passed very quickly. Edit: I guess it was a tornado. http://jimmartin.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/confirmed-tornado-near-canton-south-dakota/

A Cascadia daycab for Dean Transportation, Sioux Falls, SD, powering a Land o' Lakes turnpike double set.

Very sharp 579 owned by Dan Steinbach, and leased to Bob Erickson Trucking out of Lino Lakes, MN.

379 with a hopper set, for Dowling Trucking out of Draper, SD.

Sharp 379 owned by AO Express, Woonsocket, SD, and leased to Dakota Cattle Link out of Mitchell, SD, also with a hopper set.

Sharp Coronado cattle pot for Michael O'Brien Trucking out of Belle Plaine, IA.

Classy 379 for Rich Grant Trucking out of Ogden, UT.

Very sharp 386 for Keiser Trucking out of Spicer, MN.

Nice T800 grain hauler for Cory Wheeler out of Casselton, ND.

Sharp 379 grain hauler for K-C Trucking out of Almeria, NE.

Neat W900B dump truck with pup, for Jeffres Trucking out of Burwell, NE.

379-119 for Scott Lingbeck Trucking out of Ramona, SD, with a hopper set.

Cascadia for NIM Transportation, the in-house carrier for Norfolk Iron & Metal Company, Norfolk, NE.

Very sharp 389 grain hauler for Ringling Trucking out of Platte, SD, at the truck stop in Mitchell, SD.

This ex-Stan's T660, now a pig hauler for Heartland Pork, Alpena, SD (where Stan's is also out of), was also at the truck stop in Mitchell.

Not quite as many axles on this set as the one I caught in Dell Rapids, but 17 isn't bad, either, I guess. Operated by O'Connor & Son Trucking out of Mitchell, SD, where I also caught it.

Nice T660 grain hauler set for Stan's out of Alpena, SD, in Huron.

Another sharp T660 in Huron, this one operated by NCA, Ltd, out of right here in Huron. I found it at the Walmart down the street.

Bonus: a-sprayin' we will go.  :)

The Corn Palace in Mitchell. They had decided to dig up the street in front of it, and thereby ruin my chances at a decent pic of it.  >:(

Jan.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:41:38 PM by norseman »
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Hank's Truck Forum

June 5 - Jackson, MN to Huron, SD
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
Re: June 5 - Jackson, MN to Huron, SD
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
nice shots jan the Cascadia for NIM is sharp looking and the hog haulers :D :D

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
Never too many grain boxes as far as i'm concerned Jan........keep 'em coming. :)

IowaSuperTrucker

• Regular Membership
    • http://truckinboy.slickpic.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
More unsavory weather. There was some strong (though not large) hail in this storm, but it passed very quickly.

Aside from my love for trucking, I also am an avid weather fan too.  I'm a trained Skywarn Severe weather spotter, I report to the National Weather Service any severe weather and also report daily precipitation to another organization in Colorado which reports it to the National Weather Service.  Needless to say, this exact storm cell/supercell thunderstorm you passed by I was watching from my office desk at work.  I have the same fancy mobile radar that the storm spotters have on their phones/laptops.  For about 35miles there were reports of funnel clouds and a possible tornado and no one confirmed it until late in the storm.  Your picture is about as perfect as it comes for a storm spotters perspective.  If you were on 90 when you took this, the way that storm was moving you were in a pretty dangerous spot, knowing it or not...as the storm was moving from the Northwest to the Southeast.  Awesome shot, glad that's all you saw.  :)

Cool picture for sure!

Enough with my rant about weather....my favorites have to be the Dan Steinbach leased to Bob Erickson, and the, for better term, we'll call....the South Dakota Rolling Train.  I asked my buddy about the one you caught that was from Hartford SD....these guys all use these multi-axle side-dump doubles to pull out of the local red quartz rocks out of the local mine and they really ramp up on the payload.

Rich Grant is always a good one to get too.  Looking forward to the Wheel Jam photos. 

More scattered bad weather for your area today and tomorrow...keep a watchful eye to the sky!

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
Never yet have gotten to see one, that I knew what it was while I was watching.

A few years back, real still outside on a bad evening, heard a noise coming from where it was dark and very dingy, cross between a freight train & an airliner at altitude, along with a "bumping" sound, like a huge bowling ball knocking pins in an alley.

Next day, news reported all about a tornado tearing down a power line about 15 miles from my 20, at the time & direction I heard that sound.

Last Tuesday night, sirens sounded at the village 2 miles away, inter-cloud lightening was so constantly "flickering" it was like a florescent light with a bad starter switch. When I stepped out on the porch to catch the action, I heard that now familiar sound, but never saw anything.

And, it couldn't have been an airliner. Far too constant for about 15 minutes, and I'd already checked FlightAware. Some storm tops were 60,000 feet so nobody was over Nebraska. Kansas sky looked like a traffic jam, as everybody diverted around that system.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »
Very neat, guys. I guess I'm glad I didn't really know what it was I was seeing... even if it apparently didn't become a real tornado until it had gotten a little bit southeast of where I took this pic - according to both you, Mike, and that web site I found.  :)

Jan.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
Very neat, guys. I guess I'm glad I didn't really know what it was I was seeing... even if it apparently didn't become a real tornado until it had gotten a little bit southeast of where I took this pic - according to both you, Mike, and that web site I found.  :)

Jan.

You saw the real deal!

That's definitely a funnel. It just hadn't hit the ground yet. Luckily, most of them don't.

I've been told this wide belt east of the Rockies, lower Canada to Mexico, supposedly has the wildest weather of anyplace.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

HuntFlatbed

• Just Trying To Keep Up With The Real Truckers.....
    • My RR Pics
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »
So, it'd appear that Jan is as good a Weather Photographer as he is a Truck one! And you got to see the Corn Palace Too!  Scratch that one off your list then.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs