If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Roadtrains in Western Australia  (Read 1868 times)

terry

Roadtrains in Western Australia
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:46 AM »
At the end of last year a mate of mine got a new job driving roadtrains in Port Hedland Western Australia.
As work has been very quiet.I decided i needed to do something else so in March this year i started at the same company.
We cart iron ore from the mine to the port which is a 4 hour round trip, which we do three loads a day both day shift and night shift
I haven't taken my good camera to work so ive only had my iphone to take photos
When i first started i did my training in KW T909's which this is one of them

And this is as clean as they get with the red dust

Then after a week learning they put me in this 06 model T650. Its got a 550hp isx 18sp RR on six rod suspension

We average 106ton payload each trip to give us a gross weight around 160ton
The tri drives can average 115 ton with a gross weight of 170ton
In our fleet we also have a few new Western Stars which are turning up every couple of weeks

They are replacing the 650s with new trucks all the time so we will get a new truck soon hopefully.
We have 50 new trucks coming by end of October, both KW 909s and Western Stars
when i get more photos ill post them

Bear Grills calls it Man vs Wild
Aussies call it camping

Hank's Truck Forum

Roadtrains in Western Australia
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:46 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

NHRS

• Regular Membership
Re: Roadtrains in Western Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 04:56:34 AM »
Wow! So many questions!

On the 2nd picture (all great shots. Don't loose that phone), what's the air intake behind the bunk?

Notice you guys pack a LOT of fuel. How many gallons or liters?

How long does loading/unloading take? Much time waiting on other trucks? What's the cruising speed? Is the haul road private in some areas or all public? Is it fairly flat, rolling, or steep grades?

If a guy was young again & loves trucks, would this be the place to be or what!
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Jon_G

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:17:10 AM »
Congrats on the new job! And wow those sets are massive! Are the third and fourth dumps a b-double set? That's how a lot of them I have seen in pictures appear to be set up.

Jon

terry

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:03:02 AM »
NHRS.
The air intake behind the cabin has oil coolers for the diffs in it. They run the oil lines in the bottom of the intake to the coolers and back out.
We carry about 1200lts of fuel and use about 700lts a shift.
They use 2 WA 500 loaders to load, so it only takes about 15mins to load, we get times when there is a line up of trucks so you can wait up to an hour.
We cruise along at 100kmh as the roads are fairly flat where we run.  The mine roads are private from the main rd into the mine.
Most of the drivers would be 40 and over so it's not a young mans job unless they want to work
We have a couple of guys over 65 still driving

JON_G
Thank you. Yes it is a b-double at the rear. We run them at the back cos they track better.

Thanks for being interested
Bear Grills calls it Man vs Wild
Aussies call it camping

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:01 AM »
Thanks for the info. Appreciate that a lot.

Never though about coolers for the final drives, but with hot-outside & constant serious horsepower, can totally understand that need.

Love learning that old guys are allowed to work there. If Willy would go along, I'd try to get a physical fudged up & head down there. My hearing is badly compromised (just high pitch. hear deep bass diesel real good) & I'm too cheap to spring for a hearing aid, but gonna bet there ain't much to listen to out there anyway.

Might hafta do some real good PR work to convince my bride of 47 years I should go do that.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:01 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs