If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Jimmy B's GMC Brigadier  (Read 70449 times)

Jimmy B

Re: Jimmy B's GMC Brigadier
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
I was only able to get it moved to the place that is going to do the heavy work. Leave the rest until after the mechanical gets done. Because it has a California title, I'll have drive it down to the DMV so they can verify the Vin number.

Tomorrow will clean out the cab and make it ready for the work ahead. I'll do a series on the interior. And yes, very excited about this...

Jimmy B

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »

JJG

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 12:41:30 AM »
Just seen this thread here Jimmy, that is cool dude!! I wasn't really sure if you were serious about a Brig but you most certainly are!! Looking forward to the reconditioning of the little beast, sounds like fun. Do you have a painter lined up for the yellow?? What a cool thing to do as a retirement project!

Jim

Jim.

Jimmy B

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »
Yes Jim, I have a painter lined up, he is also the mechanical vendor for YRC Freight. Right now, I'm just cleaning out the cab. Filled a yard lawn bag full of trash. Took the passenger seat out. Will have that re-upholstered. The door interior fabric door panels need to be redone, and head liner cardboard needs replacing. Will work on it some more tomorrow. Turn signals needs wiring work. Will need a new driver's seat. Driver's side door needs to be adjusted.

This year I'll repaint the cab interior, frame and cab. There is some minor body work to do on the driver's side door where it has bent hitting the cab.

In the next 30 days, will get it DOT inspected, new title and registration with plates. I want to be able to take it to a couple local shows. One here in Sparks, the other up at Susanville, CA - where it all started for me!

Tomorrow, will start with the inspection, this to develop a list of repairs that need to be done for the DOT inspection. Will also service the unit. New fluids, filters, lube and such. Take some cab parts, like the seat frame down to the wash rack to clean them off. It is really dirty inside...

This is what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMs26SpxmY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just seen this thread here Jimmy, that is cool dude!! I wasn't really sure if you were serious about a Brig but you most certainly are!! Looking forward to the reconditioning of the little beast, sounds like fun. Do you have a painter lined up for the yellow?? What a cool thing to do as a retirement project!

Jim

Jim.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:12:15 PM by Jimmy B »

JJG

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 01:08:36 AM »
OK good to know Jimmy, looks like you have a great plan for the Jimmy. Its a lot of work to restore a vehicle but sounds like you have a desire to do it, that is the biggest hurdle out of the way! The rest is time and of course money but it will be rewarding to see the end result and enjoy the "better then new" GMC!!

You mentioned Susanville CA as a start, was that the start of the Brig, or start of your love of trucks?? I have been thru Susanville once on a run to Sparks NV., nice country!!

Jim.

Jimmy B

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 03:21:22 AM »
That's were I first started driving in 1970.

Jimmy B

OK good to know Jimmy, looks like you have a great plan for the Jimmy. Its a lot of work to restore a vehicle but sounds like you have a desire to do it, that is the biggest hurdle out of the way! The rest is time and of course money but it will be rewarding to see the end result and enjoy the "better then new" GMC!!

You mentioned Susanville CA as a start, was that the start of the Brig, or start of your love of trucks?? I have been thru Susanville once on a run to Sparks NV., nice country!!

Jim.

Jimmy B

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Spent about 5 hours on the Brigadier today, including visiting time and parts run time. Took the door panels off along with the pocket on the driver's side. Cleaned the doors inside and out. Found leaves on inside on both doors. Thought that was sort on weird. Took the pocket and 3 door panels along with the passenger seat and back to an upholster. Left the seat and back, but decided to try the door panels myself. The upholster walked me through it, he was a really swell fellow. If it turns out it above my learning curve, he said he'd take over. The pocket I'll need to find a good fiberglass man to repair it.

Once back to the shop, started to look at some of the electrical. The tail lights were non-operational. So, started looking at the wiring, check fuses on the turn signals, braked lights, and tail lights. Next started to look at the wiring, and found this:

Thought oh, a simple fix. Spliced the cut, but still no lights in the back. Next took of an inspection panel that exposes a wiring block for the tail, and 7 way trailer light cord. The trailer cord was working, but the imput for the tail lights and such were not hot when the light were turned on, so, it looks like there is a problem somewhere between the fuse block or turn signal switch and that rear wiring block. Looks like some sort of temp fix, certainly not right. That's pretty much where I left things.

Button up the truck, moved it back to it's parking place and stowed all my tools and parts. To keep track of all the parts, I'm bagging them then marking them with what they are, this to help keep everything organized.

One other thing, took the only arm rest with me when I went to the upholster, he took one look at it and said it looked like a Ford E100 arm rest. So, lots of those around, they might be much easier to find then I thought.

Jimmy B

Oso2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
Nice project! I'm amazed at the shape of the cab - around here a cab like that would be covered in rust. BTW, I've never seen pointy-ended frame rails before: is that factory original?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Jimmy B

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
I noticed them too, but had much more on my mind to wonder much more about them other than they are different. Way down the list is to mount a pintle hook on the back. When I do that I'll see about changing them to a more traditional slope. This 85 spent 2 years in California, then it was sold to Crown Beverage in Sparks, NV during 1987. So, it's been a local truck to the area.

Jimmy B

Jamie

• Regular Membership
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »
Looking good! You need to drive around the corner and hook to one of those 53' domestic containers and take a picture! lol

Jimmy B

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
Looking good! You need to drive around the corner and hook to one of those 53' domestic containers and take a picture! lol

I need to get the title changed from California to Nevada, register and plate it yet. Because it has a California title have to drive to DMV and get them to check the VIN number. Then with proof of insurance I can get the plate and registration done. One trip to DMV, then will pose it with a can maybe.

Today I was down working on it, got the door adjusted so it no longer rubs on the body. Clutch adjusted, got the bent and mangled frame walk taken off, also the quarter fender brackets and one badly bent up quarter fender off (it only had the left side). Will get down tomorrow and do more work on it, thank goodness I'm getting plenty of help from Circle T, the vendor that services YRC Freight's equipment.

This is pretty typical damage on the Brigadiers. The wind catches the door, it flies open and out of the hand of the driver. It flexes the door, causing it to eventually catch on the body. This is just about the only body work that will need to be done on the unit:

The front turn signals don't match, one is the old style with a 1157 bulb in it (Right side). The other has a bulb for both running/parking lights and another bulb for the turn signal (left side). On that one, the bulb is for the turn signal only lights on the side. Don't like that. Want the same as is on the right side. Also, want red lenses facing back on the turn signals as was the law at the time the unit was built, I think.

As a side note, it's parked at a shop that is part of a LTL terminal, Mountain Valley Express is the current dock resident. The facilities were built by Consolidated Freightways in I guess about the early 1960s. Residents since then included PMT (Southern Pacific's trucking arm), Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Watkins which morphed into FedEx National LTL and now lastly Mountain Valley Express.

Tomorrow, the electrical problems. The problem with the tail lights, brake lights and turn signals on the rear is located between dash and the rear cab wiring block.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:44:20 AM by Jimmy B »

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • www.hankstruckpictures.com
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
 8)

norseman

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Lars-G

• Regular Membership
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:32 AM »
This truck was a nice find

I see that this truck came before the creation of Volvo GM Heavy Truck Corporation because Brigadier after the merger was called WHITEGMC Brigadier with two versions, J 8000 and J 9500.

Lars-G

gijoe707

• Regular Membership
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »
looks good jim.like my old yellow city unit when i would come back off vacation--lol dont forget the do not idle engine plate above ignition key--lol wirng stinks but i find by replacing old stuff with new and a new ground lights will work like new.takes time but worth the hasel. how many hours are you able to work after retirement? if we want too,it is only 39 hours a month.have fun!

Jimmy B

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
This truck was a nice find

I see that this truck came before the creation of Volvo GM Heavy Truck Corporation because Brigadier after the merger was called WHITEGMC Brigadier with two versions, J 8000 and J 9500.

Lars-G

Yes Lars-G this is a 1985 model Brigadier.

Jimmy B

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs