If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: A Minor Update...  (Read 2345 times)

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
A Minor Update...
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »
The truck will be going into the shop this week to receive some (minor) mechanical tweaking. No, I'm not having the engine built into a 800-hp monster.

Going to have the overhead run on the engine, as well as fresh oil change, new transmission fluid, and having the radiator flushed out and refilled with fresh anti-freeze.

If all goes to plan, the truck will also get a new set of rear-gears, as well. The 3.90s are great for pulling, but, has the engine screaming just to reach highway speed. 64mph on tall 24.5 rubber and the truck is running 1700rpm, which leads me to believe the truck actually was re-geared with 4.11s at some point (do the math, and it'll run out about like that).

Looking to either drop 3.55s or 3.36s in the truck. 3.55s gears the truck to 68mph at 1500rpm and allows the truck to cruise up into the 70mph range without getting excessively high on engine speed.

3.36s would actually be preferable in my book. Similar to when NHRS geared his Peterbilt with 3.90s and the boxes, it basically gives me a wide coasting gear. The truck will run out to 65mph at 1500rpm in 9th-direct, and 77mph at 1500rpm in 9th-over, giving the truck plenty of top-end without sacrificing engine speed. It also means running in a lower OD ratio, less parasitic loss of power, and should mean better fuel mileage.

Some may be arguing that by spinning the truck with 3.36s that I'm going to lose a lot of start-ability and pulling. That's true, but, nothing that careful driving won't prevent. For the time being, the truck won't be doing egregiously heavy work, and the higher gears mean better fuel economy for me. If the truck becomes a heavy hauler at some point, it'll be re-geared back down to 3.70s, 3.90s, or similar gears.

The truck will also be getting new filters throughout, and a thorough going-over with the grease gun.

Troy.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hank's Truck Forum

A Minor Update...
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »

honda374

Re: A Minor Update...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
looking forward the your adventures troy!!!!

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
Faster cogs don't hurt low reduction gears nearly as much as they help keep the rev's down on the fast ones.

You'll be okay, since you'll always go low enough to start moving without working any fuel. Often on a hard surface, won't even hafta throttle in any rev's. Just quickly shift to the next higher gear as she idles. With no rev's added, no spool-down wait-time necessary. Once in that next faster gear (that most guys who don't care all that much about their clutch start with anyway), THEN begin working in some fuel.

Easy check on the gear ratio. Chock-block the truck, release spring-brake (if on back axle), jack up one set of duals on rear axle. Register location of the U-joint going in housing, & a valve stem on the jacked-up duals. Spin exactly 2 rotations of those duals, & count the drive-line revolutions. That's your cog-ratio.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »
Did my math a bit wrong, that was running 1400rpm, a little low for the N14. 1500 is a sweetspot on the engine and where I want to hit. 3.55s are gonna' be the choice, and got a price on them today. about 62-64mph in low-overdrive (0.86 ratio) at 1500-1550rpm, and 73-75mph in the "big hole" (0.73 ratio) at 1500-1550rpm.

Troy.

"Suzie-Q"

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Don't have any idea if/how they move the "sweet-spot" around on the new-age electronic stuff.

In the old-time mechanical-days on a Cummilong, we'd change the timing by moving the cam-follower boxes in or out. Faster timing made a motor snappier, but would "fall off" quicker. I went for late timing (335 was always timed later than 220), which made them "hang on" longer. Think I might have been "34" whereas a 220 would be about "38".

But then, we had those pre-EPA high-inertia turbos, too (590, 506). I'd split boxes, gather up, & as I walked some fuel back in, I'd still show 10 lbs. of boost left over from before shifting.

MY pal's KTA was set up so hot, just running up to high idle (about 12-1500 rev's) would start showing up on the boost gauge.

Since there were 2 cylinders to a box, good mechanics would even split the gaskets when needed, to get both buckets to "come in" exactly the same.

My Mopar 440 was opposite with a Cloyes timing chain sprocket, where you could key-way 3 places, for centerline or 4 degrees ahead or behind. Ahead was supposed to bring peak horsepower lower. Just for a street cruiser get-to-work, never felt that much difference.

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
Truck passed emissions just fine, and just went into Marini Diesel to have the overhead run.

In Denver, there's only one place to have a Cummins worked on: Marini.

Troy.

"Suzie-Q"

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
Never was in the "old days" either.

Glad that tradition is maintained. Wish I was there drinking all their coffee, telling "road stories".

You probably know the difference between a trucker's story & a Fairy tale: The Fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time.....

A Trucker's story starts, "You guys ain't gonna believe this s---........."

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »
Never was in the "old days" either.

Glad that tradition is maintained. Wish I was there drinking all their coffee, telling "road stories".

You probably know the difference between a trucker's story & a Fairy tale: The Fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time.....

They're still in the same tan and grey shop over on Dahlia.

Troy.

"Suzie-Q"

Mister TyZo

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
The Fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time.....

;)    I'd most certainly have the Fresh Coffee on , the Pot Full....Thanks NHRS....couple old fella's I know Ain't it the Truth, 10-4 " You guys ain't gonna believe this S____ :D ;D  I'm thinking of one lad that has gone on to the Big Highway in the Sky...." The Bandit " He'd guarantee a Laugh a Mile...lol..
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs