If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: Tornado!  (Read 2867 times)

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
Tornado!
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
I haven't made a post in awhile. And, I've had plenty to post about recently. With everything from an ER visit to journeying into some new states and regions I haven't been before, I've been quite busy lately.

Today, however, I finally had something happen that is really worth making a post about.

The long and the short is that I was loading large concrete blocks East of Denver. The day started with me only covering a single round of this as I've been sick. They ran out of drivers and needed me to cover a round before another could come in and take-over.

As with all things trucking, that's what it began as but not what it ended as. After delivering the first round I was told I needed to stick on it for the rest of the day. I wasn't happy about it, but, it was what it was. In all honesty, the reason they were down a driver was understandable. Another driver needed to be at the hospital with his mother who was going into surgery. Can't blame them for that, even if you are sick.

So, I headed back East for the second load of these large concrete blocks. When I got out there the sky was darker than earlier and it was windy. I didn't think much of it. Any driver, especially who works around construction, has been in windy, dusty job sites.

Next, I heard the warning sirens going off (by now, they had set the blocks and I began strapping). Now, why, might you ask, did I not pay much attention to this? Simple: Denver tests the air-raid/ tornado warning/ etc. sirens on a regular basis. Rain or shine, they test them regularly. And, my simple thought was that it was a test. In short, it was a classic example of the boy who cried wolf. I had heard them so often, they had become so regular (in fact, I had heard them testing them just a day or two earlier) to me, I didn't think a thing of it.

So, I continued strapping. Until another driver on the job walked over and said, "Take a look at that."

I turn around and see clouds circling one another and a cone forming. Still, I had seen this before. It was nerve-racking, yes, but, I had seen clouds do that before. Keep an eye on it and keep plugging forward. Ever so often I'd turn back and watch what it was doing.

But, it progressively worsened until, on a job-site not much further down the road I could see a column of dirt being sucked up off the ground. There was a funnel.

The adrenaline kicked in, I went into overdrive, and strapped down the rest of the load in less than a minute and have never grabbed gears that fast before!

Everyone else had already booked it out of there basically and it was the other driver and I. You might ask why we chose the course of strapping down and getting out versus seeking shelter?

There was none. There was no sunken or anchored shelter nearby, and no visible low-spots to get into. At that point, the best bet was to get strapped down and haul ass. And that's what I did.

An exciting day.

The following is not my image:

Troy.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:16:20 PM by coloradogreen »
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Hank's Truck Forum

Tornado!
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs

granitefan713

• My Truck Picture Collection
Re: Tornado!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
That puts a whole new meaning to "one hell of a day". I'm glad you escaped Troy!

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
It's a good thing it looks like it's only an EF0-EF2, had it been something stronger it might have picked you up and had you for dinner. Glad you were able to come out of there safe. Chris has been enthused about weather and has always wanted to see a tornado in person. I don't quite share those feelings...

Updated 8/10/2018

coloradogreen

• 10-4 Magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:45:27 PM »
Granitefan- You betcha'!

Greg- There was a part of me that was looking at it and saying, "this isn't massive." By the same token, when you see something like that forming, the last thing that crosses your mind is to stick around and find out what it's going to become.

Tro.
Your friendly neighborhood vegan heavy haul punk.

"Suzie-Q"

IMAGES COPYRIGHT TROY MILLER/ 10-4 MAGAZINE

Contributor 10-4 Magazine

Greg_E

• Greg Elgart Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
Greg- There was a part of me that was looking at it and saying, "this isn't massive." By the same token, when you see something like that forming, the last thing that crosses your mind is to stick around and find out what it's going to become.

Tro.
I hear you Troy. All's well that ends well!

Updated 8/10/2018

charlie

• Regular Membership
  • Wish i were built like a Mack truck
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
Scary!!! :o Glad you made out ok Troy........that twister was looking to take you a bit more east of Denver than you wanted, like Kansas. Hope you're feeling better too.

wayne_crane

• http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/w_crane_title.gif
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
glad your okay

Paccar 105

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

Hanky

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
Scary!!! :o Glad you made out ok Troy........that twister was looking to take you a bit more east of Denver than you wanted, like Kansas. Hope you're feeling better too.
I am sure you will remember this day for ever and where you were.

Hanky

TWP

• Regular Membership
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »
Nothing boring about trucking! ;)

Glad you cleared the zone.

-Ted
Truckin`Addiction.
Argueing with a trucker is like wrestleing with a pig in the mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs