If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: ice road "truckers?"  (Read 4524 times)

NHRS

• Regular Membership
ice road "truckers?"
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:38:47 AM »
What's with the series starting up again last Sunday night, in CANADA?

I'd learned on the forums recently those clowns were run out of Canada, which of course didn't break my heart.

Wifey likes watching that, in spite of my constant amusement while pointing out, she NEVER liked watching that for real whenever we hurried across Wyoming, trying to stay ahead of a storm, before they locked everything up.

I apologize for the embarrassment my fellow USA Citizens are causing you folks (& all of us), & I sure hope you guys are charging plenty whenever they're up there, since you certainly deserve it.
If you don't ask, they can't say no.

Hank's Truck Forum

ice road "truckers?"
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:38:47 AM »

Mister TyZo

Re: ice road "truckers?"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »
 ;) 8)  I thought Ice Road Truckers was Dead and Buried ???  Even when it was starting up 2nd Season, it was down right annoying the History Channel was in my opinion over doing the Repeat & Re Run aspect......  But I'm game Alex will do fine, Hugh & Rick can peddle elsewhere  Please....
Be Safe / Be Careful  BTB

Rob Archer

• Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • Slickpic
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
Well, I guess we will have to rely on you to watch and report on it. It's not on History (Canada).
Where is this season's show set?
I see Hugh is back and some real gomer from Lynn Lake MB who looks to have a real old beat up Ford. The King Of The Obsolete.
Are they running around the bush roads of Manitoba or Saskatchewan?
There are lots of Winter Roads in Canada; I wonder if Hugh will beat his truck into the ground like he did a couple of seasons ago.
I don't think I'll waste my time over it unless I have nothing else to do.

*** One thing though - they had Hugh running loads on the Alaska Highway; domestic US loads. That means he is not a truck driver - immigration policies in both countries don't allow citizens of either to do domestic work but is a UNIQUE TALENT - an entertainer.
Entertainers can work in either country as they have unique talents.

Rob

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
Mister Ty- You got it right about Alex. He's the only reason I'll watch it whatsoever. 5 or 6 more just like him in the story-line, & I'd be a big fan.

Mister TyZo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
Mister Ty- You got it right about Alex. He's the only reason I'll watch it whatsoever. 5 or 6 more just like him in the story-line, & I'd be a big fan.

;) ;) ;)

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »
Really noticed this season the writers have absolutely NO respect for their audience. Obviously assuming those who like trucks are ALL foul-mouth belly-belly rednecks.

They've got Hugh teamed up with an ethnic Russian guy who deliberately smokes cigarettes (extremely politically-UNcorrect) & is sterotypically arrogant.

To set that straight for the record, our next-door neighbors are Russian immigrants, a single young-lady mom, with 2 daughters, one about 12, the other very early teens. They have basically become the big sisters for my 5-year-old grandson.

As for the Ice Road gal (as very appropriately described on these forums as Lisa OMG), Ice Road has now run enough seasons she's beginning to show the effects of both milage & time. You gotta wonder, IF this farce keeps getting re-newed, how much longer she'll be around.

Don't read any prejudice against ladies on the road into that opinion. I known (bet most on the forums have, too) wonderful could-do-it-all ladies on the road. But for the most part, they were the Tug-Boat-Annie types.

fitzyou

• Regular Membership
  • Laughter is good medicine!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:27 AM »
Have not had the misfortune of seeing first episode. Can't understand why Alex would associate himself with this band of idiots. Wonder who is going be this years HORSES REAR!
Retired!

The Fugitive

• Regular Membership
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
I caught a bit a bit of that swearathon they call Ice Road Truckers. I see they have a new lady from Noo York ( I THINK) or is it Charlies territory, not big headed ( yet ) does not want to be big Heavy Haul Trucker wants to stay out the ditches and get to Prudhoe in one piece.Oh and she even has wrinkles on her face maybe the more stress and hassle she gets they will go away. If Jan comes over to Scotland  ( not to rape and pillage) but to see Truckfest he may take a picture of wrinkle free Lisa omg but he may not want to waste a space on digi card.   BOB.

Gary Smith

• Fleet eye for the Chicken guy
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »
I caught Sunday night's episode, looks like they're running the ice roads in Manitoba.
It's a Mack thing. you wouldn't understand.....

"Every highway, just beyond the high beams"

Chris_E

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the people portrayed in these shows are highly exaggerated.  If we were to meet one of these people in real life and ride along with them, would they be the same as they are in the show?  Maybe, maybe not.  I got Hugh's bio as a gift a few Christmases ago and the book has a very different tone than the show.  Is he really a know-it-all jerk who's only in it for himself?  Could be.  Could he really just have a no-BS attitude that the producers of the show exaggerate to make him look like the former?  Also a possibility.  We simply don't know because we only know these people by what we see on TV.  I'm willing to reserve judgement on anyone until I've met them in person/correspond with them personally. ;)  And I don't think Hugh's a full-time trucker.  I believe he owns an excavating service most months of the year.
The foot turned to the horse, the horse to the carriage, the carriage to the train, and the train to the truck.

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
No doubt most of that's a big act. The sad part is, TV script writers share their poor perception of the transportation industry with people who, what little they see of trucks, is from riding in a golf-cart-size vehicle, with either the truck blocking their view ahead, or stuck on their rear bumper when everybody stops.

I read decades ago when "Movin' On" was getting ready to start, they'd taught Claude Akins to do his own driving. The driving instructor told the producer that if the show didn't work out, at least they'd have a heck of a good driver working for them.

Even before shows like "Ice Road" were giving an exaggerated impression of trucking, I was spending a Sunday afternoon out at the old Ontario 500 east of LA (a few years before you wouldn't dare stop there), waxing & tinkering with my truck, & California families (mom, dad & kids) would stop & ask directions (it said Gothenburg, Nebraska on my doors at that time).

One would have thought the question would be more pertinent if I'd been asking THEM for directions. Civilians are confused enough about trucking without MORE misinformation.

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:52:44 AM »

C'mon NHRS!

We both know that every day trucking is nothing more than 95% boring routine with 5% moments of sheer terror.

I catch when I can but don't purposely make any great attempt to watch it regularly. It's simply pure theatrics. Hugh might have been to go-to guy originally, but I'd bet my ass on any actual knowledge gleaned from Forum Member Dan Burkhart - I met Dan years ago at a job interview. Knows his stuff.

And as for ice roads - they're not out filming Ontario's Hwy. 402 between Sarnia and Stratford and it can get just as bad, if not worse, than what's been shown on that silly-ass TV series.

TV has this perception about the industry. Originally "Cannonball" brought it out, Movin' On lost it after "In Tandem" - which was pretty good - but who in their right mind would run down the road with a chimp?

Day after day the real heroes in this business run down the road, don't trade paint or tear up metal, get the job done and get very, very little recognition for it.
Some of them even reach the status of "Legend" but if you call them that, they'll deny it.
Right-wing Old School.

fitzyou

• Regular Membership
  • Laughter is good medicine!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:46 AM »
Let Hugh and queenie lisa go about their merry way. Getting my comedy fix from Shipping Wars.
Retired!

Mister TyZo

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »
Day after day the real heroes in this business run down the road, don't trade paint or tear up metal, get the job done and get very, very little recognition for it.
Some of them even reach the status of "Legend" but if you call them that, they'll deny it.

;) ;) ;)

NHRS

• Regular Membership
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
Doug & Mister Ty got it right.

The signifying aspect of a true hero starts with humility. Thus, they are always honor-bound to deny it.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »

Truck Driving Jobs