If you enjoy this web site, please show your support.

Truck Driving Jobs

Truck Driving Jobs

Author Topic: GMC Crackerbox  (Read 8000 times)

wbache

Re: GMC Crackerbox
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »

Here is a 59 model that I drove for Bekins Van Lines--There were 6 of them --had a sleeper--no jockey box for a suitcase and no a/c. If you look close you can see a piece of the fibre glass grill missing where I hit deer in Cove Fort UT on US 91--power was a 6V-71 with 5 speed transmission and 2 speed rear end.  It also had air ride.   There were reliability problems with the Detroit V6 engine and they were gone in 2 years replaced by an updated version--no air ride but did have a/c and power was the in line 6-71.  The bunk was wider from the right of the drivers seat . I never ran east much for Bekins but I believe this pic was taken in Philadelphia.

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »

JJG

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »
What a cool shot Walt, thanks for posting that. what other relics might you have from your travels?? If you have a thread somewhere for them, please send me a link, love to take a look!

Jim.

wig wag

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »
What do you mean, restoration? The plates are on there way. Hook up to that load of furniture,
and be in Montreal before morning!

doug mckenzie

• Regular Membership
  • Doug McKenzie
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 05:29:19 AM »
But Doug, you weren't buying a cadillac back then it was a GMC Crackerbox...lol

Ron

It was a sarcastic comment about GM's marketing slogan: The Mark of Excellence.
LOL!
Right-wing Old School.

wig wag

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:30 AM »
I remember as a kid, at my first summer job working at Harper Diesel . I got into one or
more of these. The striking thing about them was how the steering " mechanism " was attached
to the " instrument panel"  everything was so crude and accessible,  it wasn't so much a truck,
than it was an implement.  You could take the whole thing apart, and not use any of the original
parts to reassemble it.  A farmers dream come true.  Inter City Truck Lines I think had a few.
So did MP ( was that Municipal Pipelines, or Millar Paving) I recall one owner op at ICL had one
with a bunk. I honestly thought they looked kind of cool with the engine sticking out the back
of the cab, duel exhaust resonating as you reached the RPM shift point. With the front bumper
chromed, you where a man about town in that oversized ham can. 8)

anunes

• Regular Membership
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »
Hello acb88! I was wondering if restoration is under way or complete on the 68 Crackerbox. Are there any current pictures?

Douglass-2011

• Regular Membership
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »
Back in the day I drove a Crackerbox day cab for Continental Can. It was the most miserable time I ever had. In the winter I would line the inside of the cab with cardboard and duct tape to keep the cold out. There was a fresh air vent down by your feet that had to be covered so your feet would not freeze. I also put a big hard pallet on the passenger side and laid a board across from the drivers side and could lay across and take a nap LOL. I think it was a 238 Detroit with a 5&2 tranny. (Leaseway special)

anunes

• Regular Membership
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
Hello Douglas-2011! It sounds like you truly earned your $$$ with that truck. I grew up on the farm and our equipment had little or now creature comforts. Perhaps that is my attraction to old iron-lots of metal, little or no plastic and steering by Armstrong. I drove for USPS for ten years and our equipment were hand-me-downs form larger postal facilities.

anunes

• Regular Membership
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
Do you have any restoraton pictures of the Crackerbox?

Hank's Truck Forum

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »

Truck Driving Jobs